The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what carb? for holley strip dominator.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what carb? for holley strip dominator.
    Posted: 19-March-2019 at 8:52AM
Hi, quick question
i have a Holley strip dominator intake, but cant find any good spread carbs.
can i use a square bore carb with out any issues?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2019 at 1:32PM
isn't the holley intake a square bore mount?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2019 at 2:13PM
the 351C Holley Strip Dominator has a special carb pad to allow the use of the original 4300-D carb,

but it also suits the standard Holley 4150/4160 square bore pattern Thumbs Up

what's your power level, what's the rest of the combo?

Edited by Rockatansky - 19-March-2019 at 2:19PM
72 GT Ute

SocalTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2019 at 4:09PM
It’s a mild build engine, built by the previous owner, car had a Torker, sweet so I can use any square bore carb?

I was hoping to find a blue thunder with no heat riser, but no luck, had this sitting in my garage.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2019 at 4:12PM
judging from the dirt marks on it from the gasket area you should be fine to use a square bore carb
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 3:59AM
Yeah if you're not pushing at least a near max effort drag combo the Strip Dominator will be a negative to the combo rather than a plus. low and mid range drivability will suffer badly. the Torker is no joke either, it doesn't get out of bed before 3500 rpm and likes a lot of stall and plenty of gear for breakfast. between the 2 of them, the Strip Dommy and the Torker they are the #1 & #2 top of the heap racing intakes from back in the day, and not much has changed in the US since then. the Aussies have gone a slightly different route with their 3V porting but unfortunately their is no standard port location between manufacturers. some are compatible with 4V ports and some are raised higher then the 4V port roof. here's a pic of a Parker Fynnelweb and how it meets the 4V port opening

it can be run as shown above (creates a nice anti-reversion step) or with the port floor filled with an alloy cast 'tongue' or epoxy. epoxy is still used for installing the tongues, and a small bolt is run up from the bottom to help secure it. the reduced cross section 3V port helps tame the 'single plane 4V blues' w/o hurting performance at all, usually improving it

how mild is your combo? don't underestimate the Edelbrock Performers!

all Performer intakes use smaller than head opening port runners to improve intake tract velocity, the Airgap IIRC is standard 2V size but the flange is large enough to seal on a 4V head and the intake really delivers. they did their homework developing the Airgap for sure

FWIW i'll never curse myself putting a Torker on a mild build again, certainly not a Strip Dominator if i ever have one. i'm almost tempted to trade you my Bluethunder but i have no use for it, i have a D1ZX-FA intake and a 750 Dominator carb i may never use already. back in the day on my 1st or 2nd Torino i went through all the steps upgrading my Cleveland from 2V to a 4V headed dual quad tunnel ram for daily street use. i had the most fun driving it when it was a 2V headed stock 2150 2bbl and Comp 268H cam. cast iron log manifolds and glasspacks, stock converter and 2.75 gears. coulda used a little more gear but not much, 3.25's would've plenty. so anyway a 2400 stall and 4.10 gears was not enough for the Torker to enjoy life, it wanted more stall ... then it would've wanted more gear i'm sure. they're Honey Badger race manifolds, they DGAS what goes on below 4k rpm

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 4:01AM
but yeah any* square bore carb

*as long as it seals on the carb pad, or use a flat steel plate to provide sealing surface and a proper gasket
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 6:06AM
the 72 GTS is a 4 speed and has a 3:50 gears. 
does your blue thunder have the heat riser?
i also have a boss inatke but its not square bore so cant used it 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 6:10AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 6:10AM
Is the blue thunder better then the RPM air gap?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 7:57AM
you have enough value in manifolds to sell off and go any direction you like subject to availability. my BT is NIB, i forget if it has carb heat or not? i wouldn't be surprised at all if the Airgap bested the Bluethunder from idle through mid-range and kept up at the top. no personal experience just from what i gather from actual users.

simple modification at risk of destroying collector value you could run a cutter down into the secondary throttle bores to allow the use of a square bore carb. DeTomaso did this with their stock iron spreadbore intakes, or remove the material between each primary and secondary throttle bore leaving the plenum divided in the center. add the notch in the divider for mid-top end enhancement. the result would be the similar to the spreadbore Strip Dominator plenum but with a 2 plane plenum divider like the Bluethunder. the open notched divider will be the best for performance Wink then radius the bottom 90* especially on the high/short side for happy flow Clap

see the squarebore cuts front/center of the secondaries?

Edited by Rockatansky - 20-March-2019 at 8:01AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 8:10AM
i just remembered i have a 4300-D Offy Dual Port that has had the same (almost) treatment. somebody did the 4150 square bore clearancing but left the divider intact the opposite direction to preserve the Dual Port function of the plenum, with the primaries and secondaries both notched for improved flow. a little rough but who can see through a carburetor? intake came with a dis-assembled motor i picked up locally

Edited by Rockatansky - 20-March-2019 at 8:12AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 8:45AM
Oh I see, I want to use a Square bore carb, so might just order and rpm air gap at half the price, just hate that the ports are for 2v heads!
The Torino Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Torino Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 9:21AM
if you plan on using an edlebrock/carter style carb,make you use the square adapter plate,it caused a vacuum leak on mine when I used it on the "street dominator" version.
1973 Gran Torino Sport CJ 351

'Q' code 63R body

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 9:57AM
So ... cal, you didn't like the Torker?

why?

if the $ is no issue i'd grab up an Airgap or even a std Performer and give it a go. here's the beauty of the 351C, you can grease the gaskets, use RTV on the china walls and swap intakes at will until you decide what's right for you. no coolant to deal with, and leave the dizzy in place Thumbs Up

Edited by Rockatansky - 20-March-2019 at 9:58AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 10:05AM
FWIW i tried an Offy Port-O-Sonic for a bit, it seemed a lot more streetable than the Torker but still single plane, and i had a 10" converter and 4.10's so IDK?

a good 2 plane will carry to 6500 rpm w/ no low end issues.

Edited by Rockatansky - 20-March-2019 at 10:05AM
72 GT Ute

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 10:10AM
there were a couple guys on a 71-73 mustang forum that did the rpm vs BT intake challenge and it was BT all the way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 10:26AM
and there is a proper adapter plate to convert 4300-D spreadbore to square flange ...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-2199

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 10:50AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

So ... cal, you didn't like the Torker?

why?

if the $ is no issue i'd grab up an Airgap or even a std Performer and give it a go. here's the beauty of the 351C, you can grease the gaskets, use RTV on the china walls and swap intakes at will until you decide what's right for you. no coolant to deal with, and leave the dizzy in place Thumbs Up

torker has a crack on it arround one of the bolts. 
that is the good part of the 351C easy intake swapSmile!
do you used the felpro metal pan gasket? or just the 4 piece? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 10:52AM
Originally posted by MrSmog MrSmog wrote:

there were a couple guys on a 71-73 mustang forum that did the rpm vs BT intake challenge and it was BT all the way.
Smile
leaning towards the blue thunder 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 10:53AM
Originally posted by The Torino Kid The Torino Kid wrote:

if you plan on using an edlebrock/carter style carb,make you use the square adapter plate,it caused a vacuum leak on mine when I used it on the "street dominator" version.

the plate caused a leak?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 10:54AM

and there is a proper adapter plate to convert 4300-D spreadbore to square flange ...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-2199

sweet any leaking issues?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 11:10AM
Originally posted by SocalTorino SocalTorino wrote:

neither, kinda. i don't trust the metal pan to seal, and they rust through fairly quickly. the last 2 i removed had some pinholes. probably a side effect of having the GT scoops open and getting wet but not impressed none the less.

the included end seals for the 'china walls' are a disaster waiting to happen. throw them as far as you can, especially if the cat is watching.

he'll enjoy them for years to come and he knows they are the enemy!

i like the cheap Mr Garbage paper/composition whatever they claim them to be made of w/o the silicone gasket sliders on them. another disaster waiting to happen. silicone beads are fine for intakes that have flat mating surfaces like the 4.6 / 5.4 mod motors but angled surfaces not so much

just old school simple like the engine itself. clean the china walls oil free and use RTV beads to replace the cork or rubber "out of here as soon as you turn around" POS's

i wonder when the next batch of BT's will pop, seems like i saw a Mustang Parts Palace had them listed available? i paid ~ $500 for mine several years ago

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Air-Fuel/Intake-Manifolds/351C-390-427-428/Blue-Thunder-Intake-Manifold-Dual-Plane-351C-4V.axd

Edited by Rockatansky - 20-March-2019 at 11:11AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 12:19PM
i almost forgot the Scott Cook / SCM Engine Developments 'factory appearing' intake manifold

http://www.scmenginedevelopments.com/manifolds.html

it's actually 3V internally similar to the Funnelweb i posted above but obviously in a 2 plane design, and everybody says it Rocks just fine or better than the full dimension stock sized 4V port intake. don't forget to convert Au$ to US. tricky tricky

72 GT Ute

MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2019 at 3:31PM

Smile

yea same here when i put a serious motor together for my fastback. for now i am just gonna run the 70/71 style square bore cast iron intake ported out so i can run the 750 holley.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2019 at 2:02AM

neither, kinda. i don't trust the metal pan to seal, and they rust through fairly quickly. the last 2 i removed had some pinholes. probably a side effect of having the GT scoops open and getting wet but not impressed none the less.

the included end seals for the 'china walls' are a disaster waiting to happen. throw them as far as you can, especially if the cat is watching.

he'll enjoy them for years to come and he knows they are the enemy!

i like the cheap Mr Garbage paper/composition whatever they claim them to be made of w/o the silicone gasket sliders on them. another disaster waiting to happen. silicone beads are fine for intakes that have flat mating surfaces like the 4.6 / 5.4 mod motors but angled surfaces not so much

just old school simple like the engine itself. clean the china walls oil free and use RTV beads to replace the cork or rubber "out of here as soon as you turn around" POS's

i wonder when the next batch of BT's will pop, seems like i saw a Mustang Parts Palace had them listed available? i paid ~ $500 for mine several years ago

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Air-Fuel/Intake-Manifolds/351C-390-427-428/Blue-Thunder-Intake-Manifold-Dual-Plane-351C-4V.axd

sweet thanks for the tip on the gaskets, i think that is also a problem with my intake now it leaks.
the BT are available now $500-$600 shopping around for best price  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2019 at 2:10AM

Smile

yea same here when i put a serious motor together for my fastback. for now i am just gonna run the 70/71 style square bore cast iron intake ported out so i can run the 750 holley.

i want to run a square bore carb too, but sense i dont have a good street intake or a stock cast iron, might as well just buy one now, $500 is hard to swallow for a reproduction intake, i wish i could fine one of those boss 351 intakes that ford sold over the counter with the square bore flange they use to sell for $200-$300 used.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2019 at 4:55AM

i want to run a square bore carb too, but sense i dont have a good street intake or a stock cast iron, might as well just buy one now, $500 is hard to swallow for a reproduction intake, i wish i could fine one of those boss 351 intakes that ford sold over the counter with the square bore flange they use to sell for $200-$300 used.

$500 for which, the BT, SCM or both/either?

it's a gulp for sure but the alternative is the decimal point keeps moving to the right for the D1ZX-DA and the Shelby versions. check this one out, the carb pad / plenum looks a little messed up IMO, i can't believe they all came with tat step in them? only $3750
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Ford-CS-Shelby-351C-4V-aluminum-intake-manifold-1970-Shelby-Autosport-Rare/263821374675?hash=item3d6cfab4d3:g:I78AAOSwezVWuoXS

here's a BT with enhanced divider cut and heat blocked

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Competition-Series-Blue-Thunder-Ford-351-Cleveland-Intake-Manifold/254123604806?hash=item3b2af27b46:g:MlkAAOSwRXJcZPq7

i forgot to mention that the Scott Cook factory appearing intake isn't just a knock-off/repop like a procomp, Darin Morgan had a hand in designing the factory appearing heads and matching intake Big smile
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2019 at 5:10AM
why not use your D1ZX-CA with the adapter plate?
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2019 at 5:24AM
The blue thunder is $500+$15 ride,
The adapter is $70, I’m better off selling the boss and buying the blue thunder, I don’t want to deal with leak or carb issues with spacer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>