The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with some damp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with some damp
    Posted: 24-March-2019 at 1:55AM
Need a spot of help on this one
ordered a new carpet for my 71 GT as the old one was a bit ropey. Just removed the old one and found that the passenger side is completely soaked (front and rear) but the driver side isn't any suggestions as to what I should be looking for. as this has me a bit stumped
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2019 at 3:08AM
It would help for a little more info, stored inside/outside, driven in the rain, etc.  If no holes in floor if it has been driven in the rain or washed I would check passenger side weatherstripping, seals around windshield/ rear window.  Also heater core or connections would be suspect.

Edited by 1973gts - 24-March-2019 at 3:09AM
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2019 at 3:15AM
Stored outside at the moment but no rain anytime recently, no signs of any holes in the floor. I shall check the seals and the heater core
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2019 at 3:31AM
cowl stand-off pipe

72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2019 at 4:54AM
all good possibilities, more than likely ford cowl rotConfused check up behind the glovebox  where the heater is...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2019 at 8:19AM
Hi all
thanks for the ideas with this cowl idea what's the best way to go about checking it out for rot I've currently got the front bench seats out and the carpet fully removed where abouts should I be looking from there.
cheers
tom
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2019 at 9:15AM
never mind found this vid on a 67 Fairlane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcjmjcTpLaw

although is there any way to see this without takeing off the top portion?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2019 at 11:18AM
Make sure it not just a leaking heater core before you go too far.  Did you notice if the carpet had a sweet smell like coolant?  You can also get a garden hose have someone run the water on the car at different spots while you crawl under the dash and see if you can find where the water is coming in from.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2019 at 11:19AM
not sure how the 70-71's are but should be somewhat similar to the 72+ those if you remove the heater intake off the inside you can see and feel up in there for rough rust or holes if you look up there and see holes then its pretty bad Cry but just that air stack thing can rust at the bottom and let water run in
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2019 at 1:29PM
pour a bucket of water into the vents in front of the windshield

it could be maybe the butyl sealer around the windshield has given up,

and / or the window channel is rusted.

72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2019 at 3:23PM
aren't the 70-71's gasketed in? like the mustangs and older cars...???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2019 at 12:13AM
I think the hose/bucket of waters a good idea to try. ill do it over the weekend and report back.
on a side if I bunged the cowls up would that be a bad thing if it turns out to be the cause
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 2:13AM
Ok so I've just poured about 2ltrs of water over the windscreen and into the vents here's where it gets interesting not a drop came though into the passenger side but about 500ml came into the driver side the rest went out driver side vent behind front wheel. So this has me even more stumped as it was the passenger side that was soaked with water before whereas the driver side was mostly dry picture attached is driver side
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 2:14AM
Some reason pictures come out upside down
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 11:26AM
That looks pretty rusty.  I'd suspect you may have a cowl issue based on your report.  Have you pulled the cowl screens to inspect inside? 

Sometimes photos from mobile phones aren't recognized correctly by forum software and it doesn't get the orientation correct.  Usually rotating it with a image editing program and uploading it again fixes it.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 11:38AM
if i'm seeing it correctly... looks like small rust holes near the flasher and to the left by the red wire???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 6:05AM
a few more pics of what i found, across the middle,

drivers side where the non-A/C vent would be

the rest of the gallery https://www.supermotors.net/registry/10950/74222-2

Edited by Rockatansky - 28-March-2019 at 6:05AM
72 GT Ute

lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2019 at 4:50AM
so I've just been out to the car thankfully no water inside which is good :)
I have removed the cowl screens and they are pretty much U/S now so ill get a new set but as I was removing them I noticed that the lower weather strip for the window is pretty much hanging off on both the driver side and passenger side only really held on for about 5 or so inches the whole way across so ill need to locate a new one as well as the upper hood strip as that's pretty much deteriorated as well. I've poked my phone in the cowl covers and taken some snaps and it also seems that the driver side cowl is no existent and the passenger is rotted though at the lower half.

so on the needs list is some new cowls and some new rubbers anyone have any ideas where I can get some?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2019 at 12:09PM
Macs has the cowl screens, and the window felts.

What's the plan for the rusted out cowl?
Vince

GTS.org Admin
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2019 at 9:42PM
I've got a mechanic just down the road from me and between us we reckon it might be best to get the whole cowl area flattened with a small slopping tray to the two exit points in the fenders so water cant sit in the cowl and then see what sort of rust damage has been done to the firewall. how does that sound to you guys?
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2019 at 11:27PM
similarly making something similar to guttering under the cowl screens and lead it to the fenders that way no water can sit on the metalwork. just bouncing ideas haha
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2019 at 1:45PM
I don't think making gutters would be necessary if you take off the top of the cowl and replace the metal.  If you then coat it with a good quality rust paint it should be fine.  Ford left these unpainted from the factory which is why they rusted out. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2019 at 6:59AM
would it be worth flattening over the top hats (if they dont do anything important)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2019 at 7:10AM
the cowl is where you get fresh air for the passenger compartment. the 'hat' on the passenger side of the car is the air intake for the heater A/C system.

72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2019 at 12:09PM
Originally posted by lurch lurch wrote:

would it be worth flattening over the top hats (if they dont do anything important)

Unless you want no fresh air vents and poor heat, I'd try to save them.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 04-April-2019 at 2:53PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2019 at 1:36PM
it'll run heat / defrost from recirc, just lock the plenum door in place

you'll just never have fresh air coming in through the vents,

with the temp slider all the way to cold you'll just get whatever air is in the car already

Edited by Rockatansky - 04-April-2019 at 1:38PM
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2019 at 2:53PM
Sorry your right Rock,  I was thinking of a non-a/c car since there is no recirculate option.  AFIAK, they just draw fresh air, but I guess it could be modified to draw from the interior (see pic below).  In any case, running heat in recirculate mode is terrible, things fog up in no time.  

Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2019 at 3:58PM
pretty sure my heat only box has recirc?

heat in recirc, we call that Bake

Edited by Rockatansky - 04-April-2019 at 3:59PM
72 GT Ute

lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2019 at 1:24AM
thanks guys over here its only going to be driven in the nicer weather that we occasionally have with the windows down and the 351c rumbling :) I reckon blocking them off will be job
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2019 at 6:51AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

pretty sure my heat only box has recirc?

heat in recirc, we call that Bake

Not that I am aware of, you only got recirculation mode for A/C cars and it was activated when the A/C was set to the coldest temperature settings on the slider.  But like you said, you set the door to keep it in recirculate full time.

See the diagrams below:

Heat only (note all the air intake is from outside):

A/C and Heat (note the air can be drawn from outside or inside the car):

Originally posted by lurch lurch wrote:

thanks guys over here its only going to be driven in the nicer weather that we occasionally have with the windows down and the 351c rumbling :) I reckon blocking them off will be job

It should work and other's have done it this way as long as it's driven in fair weather.  Just keep in mind your defroster will not be effective without fresh air.  I am not sure if that is require as part of the vehicle inspection over in the UK.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>