The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with some damp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2019 at 10:54AM
Hi Vince
thankfully due the age of the vehicle we don't have to pay any tax or do vehicle inspections (MOT)
which book did those drawings come out of that's something ill need to look out for
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2019 at 12:10PM
All the drawings I posted are from Ford service manuals.  The first one is for a 1970 Torino, and the second two images are for a 1972.  The second two photos are just schematics that show the air flow paths (this is not how they actually appear) but the 1970-71 systems operate the same way.

Good luck with your cowl repair.  Keep us posted.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 4:08AM
brilliant thanks vince
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 6:02AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

pretty sure my heat only box has recirc?

heat in recirc, we call that Bake

Not that I am aware of, you only got recirculation mode for A/C cars and it was activated when the A/C was set to the coldest temperature settings on the slider.  But like you said, you set the door to keep it in recirculate full time.

See the diagrams below:

Heat only (note all the air intake is from outside):

A/C and Heat (note the air can be drawn from outside or inside the car):

Originally posted by lurch lurch wrote:

thanks guys over here its only going to be driven in the nicer weather that we occasionally have with the windows down and the 351c rumbling :) I reckon blocking them off will be job

It should work and other's have done it this way as long as it's driven in fair weather.  Just keep in mind your defroster will not be effective without fresh air.  I am not sure if that is require as part of the vehicle inspection over in the UK.

i forgot about the old cars that came heat only had manual vents on either side in the kick panels.

i guess i don't get any outside air? Ouch
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 1:39PM
 my 74 don't have the piece up to the cowl anymore so it draws from inside Wink if i want outside air... i just roll the window down!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 2:57PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

i forgot about the old cars that came heat only had manual vents on either side in the kick panels.

i guess i don't get any outside air? Ouch

All my old cars were non-A/C vehicles.  Those fresh air vents work pretty good on hot days when you have no air.  My Torinos vents move a ton of air.

Did you block off your fresh air intakes too when you did your cowl?  Looks like John did too (can't remember if he has A/C or not).
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 3:24PM
mine came factory A/C i'm putting in a heat only plenum

my last one i cut the evap housing off and made a transfer duct from the blower motor over to the hole going in to the factory A/C plenum. i don't even remember if that worked for fresh air or if i cared? i guess i'll finger it out soon enough Ermm
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 3:44PM
mine was a non a/c car.
 remember i put the speaker grill over the opening so you couldn't see the squirrel cage WinkLOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2019 at 1:18AM
Got another question for you guys
do any of you know where I can get a new front windshield weather-strip ordered one off auto krafters and it got cancelled as non in stock
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2019 at 12:10AM
Do you mean the cowl to hood weatherstrip?

Here is a one on eBay that ships world wide.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2019 at 2:48AM
i think he means the windshield gasket...weren't the 70-71's still gasketed not glued in like 72+???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2019 at 1:16AM
sorry guys ive attached a picture
ordered this one but got cancelled
https://www.autokrafters.com/p-21997-windshield-strip-1970-76-ford-galaxie-torino-ranchero-71-73-mustang-cougar-more-plastic-cut-to-fit-60-d3az-6503243a.aspx
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2019 at 1:03PM
Oh, that plastic strip at the bottom of the windshield. That part is pretty generic and is shared with lots of other Fords.  Part number D3AZ-6503243-A.  Keep checking ebay, there was an old listing on there for one.  I also found one here:

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/d3az-6503243-a.html
Vince

GTS.org Admin
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2019 at 9:44PM
for those interested the cowls very nearly sorted top sections been removed the rotten cowl is now out, next step is to fabricate a new section without top hats and add an actual flow point, paint it up and put it all back together

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2019 at 12:02PM
It looks like it is coming along nicely.  Post more pics the repair comes along.  It will be great help for others who encounter the same problem.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2019 at 4:31PM
 Clap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2019 at 8:56PM
cheers guys ill certainly add more pictures if it will help others its been a good project once this parts done we are going to move onto the engine so stay tuned
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12