The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windshield nozzle hose routing 72 gts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windshield nozzle hose routing 72 gts
    Posted: 03-April-2019 at 5:25AM
Anyone have pics of how the washer nozzle tubing is routed from where is exits the wiring harness at the fuse block connection? Can't find anything so far in the first 69 oages of this sub forum. I need to see how it is done in the hood.

Edited by handsofstone - 03-April-2019 at 5:26AM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2019 at 12:17PM
I don't have any diagrams handy, but I will see what I can dig up.  From memory though, it just follows the fender harness and then jumps to the harness across the top of the firewall.  It splits into two hose before it goes to the nozzles on the hood.  There isn't much to it.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2019 at 12:36PM
It has to be "piped" through the hood or the hood pinches the lines at the weatherstripping.
Something like this.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2019 at 1:51PM
Yeah, I must of remembered the last part wrong. I thought it split into two hose before it goes to the hood, but it's just one hose that runs up to the hood then it splits, like your diagram shows.
I found a pic I took before I took apart my front clip that might help.  As I said, it runs along the fender harness, then jumps over to the firewall on top of the booster  and goes up to the hood, closer to the left side of centre. 

I circled the hose (disconnected) which connect to the hood.  You can see it run along the top of the booster.

Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2019 at 2:03PM
Just found a partial pic on the 86th page in 72-76 forum. There is a weird tee above the master cyli der in the photo.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2019 at 2:05PM
ebay has the tee. It is an F shape. Probably a Dorman part in the stores. Still need to see how the tubing runs in the hood to the nozzles.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2019 at 2:30PM
That is the "T" on the firewall is for the vacuum connections on a non-A/C car.  It just goes from the engine to the vacuum modulator.  Really no "T" is needed, but Ford put one in there.  Actually if you look in the pic you posted, you can see the washer fluid line running up to the hood in the upper right corner.

The "T" for the washer fluid is in the hood.  That hose I circle just connects directly to the "T" on the hood, kind of like in the little diagram your drew.   In my pic it's just hanging loose cause I have the hood taken off the car.  I can't get at my hood now to snap a pick of the hose setup on the hood, but I am sure someone else with an assembled car can do that for you.  Once you see it, you'll see it's a really simple setup.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 03-April-2019 at 2:32PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2019 at 2:36PM
The vacuum tee I know about. If you look at the top right, the washer hose tee is visible. A pic is worth a thousand words. Haha. Here is what I was talking about.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2019 at 2:57PM
Yeah were saying the same thing then! Just connect the hose that I circled sitting loose to that connector and it splits to the two nozzles from there. My car has a "T" not an F connector there though.

Hopefully someone will take a pic the under hood area of a 72 and post it for you to see how the hose run to the nozzles. I would but I probably won't get my hood out for another month.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2019 at 3:03PM
Yeah, I get that part. The nozzles connection is inside the hood when installed and screwed in. I don't have one in my hand but they must be snaked theough the channel of the hood frame.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2019 at 3:05PM
You bent the kickdown rod to fit, didn't you? Was your car a 2V originally?

Edited by handsofstone - 03-April-2019 at 3:06PM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2019 at 3:10PM
Yes, 2V originally, same as your car just no A/C. I just slightly bent it the kick down rod and it worked fine with the Holley. No adaptor kit needed like Holley says.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 03-April-2019 at 3:11PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2019 at 3:15PM
I had bent mine originally but got the kit as I was worried I would break the rod. As long as it works.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2019 at 5:54AM

All set on the tubing. Used a plastic control rod from one of my model aircraft leftovers to snake the tubing. One handed is a b*tch but it worked. Replaced the pump in the reservoir months ago and the fluid hits the door behind the car. Haha

Will adjust at some point. Anyone putting the nozzles in after years sitting in a boneyard would be wise to use a snall paper clip to clean out any debris before hand.
I forgot to do it and spent 10 minutes with a wire cleaning out the passenger side nozzle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2019 at 5:57AM
Next up will be painting the nasty looking wiper arms. At some point the wiper motor and transmission will need rebuilding. It parks once in a while but lots of slop in the mechanism.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2019 at 12:08PM
Looks good John! Clap
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2019 at 1:15PM
Thank you my friend. You are a patient man. My new led flasher came today. Will see if it works in the AM. Gonna run the engine for a while tomorrow to check for oil leaks. The new valve cover gaskets haven't been tested yet and the Taiwanese cover came with washers that don't exactly fit like they should on the bottom middle two studs.
 Post Reply Post Reply