The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel pump
    Posted: 06-April-2019 at 5:42AM
Hello all,
Having an issue with my fuel pump. I installed a new mechanical fuel pump on my 73 with 351C. I started it up and it fired up right away and then after running for 30 seconds it stalled. Now it just floods. I can see fuel in the manifold. Not sure what to do. I am guessing there is a fuel regulator but not sure how to adjust it or where it is. I am doing home work now on line to figure it out but any help would be great. Looking forward to the expert advice.
Mark

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2019 at 5:52AM
you got debris into the carb float needle, time to get a carb kit and clean 'er out.

i'd install a filter in the hose between the frame and the pump, and a new filter before the carb.

no plastic, no glass, metal filters only!

Edited by Rockatansky - 06-April-2019 at 5:53AM
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2019 at 6:14AM
yep, sounds like some debris in the needle valve Wink X2 on the double filters!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Markb73gtorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2019 at 7:56AM
Thanks, this is all new for me, I have a spare carb, should I swap them out?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2019 at 9:16AM
how long has the spare been sitting?

it could have more issues than the one on the car now?

carb rebuild is pretty easy, you want to make sure you get whatever trash that got in, out.

hopefully it's just in the bowl and not into the booster cluster passages yet.

quick fix you can just remove the top off the carb and clean what you have. blow out the needle & seat with spray cleaner, suck up the fuel in the bowl with rags / paper towels, have a nice little hc fire out back then find a way to remove any grit from the bottom of the bowl.

DO NOT USE A VACUUM CLEANER TO CLEAN OUT THE FLOAT BOWL

unless you want to turn your vacuum into a flame thrower, but it would be cool Cool

Edited by Rockatansky - 06-April-2019 at 9:16AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2019 at 10:27AM
Thanks so much guys, I have a spare 2100 as well so I may swap that out, I have never tuned a carb for air fuel mixture so I am sure there is a video on YouTube. I want to upgrade the carb to a 4 bbl but I am not there yet. So I definatly don't want to buy a new 2bbl. My next big ticket item is reupholstered front seat. More to follow. I will let you guys know how things work out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2019 at 1:20PM
the only thing to do is set the idle mix screws for best vacuum or rpm at idle then open an additional 1/8 turn, set idle rpm to spec and set high sped / choke idle. the main jets and built in calibrations within the carb do the rest. best for many not to play there.

swapping on even the same model carb can open a can of worms with different vacuum connections, choke styles and fittings, i'd just fix what you have for now.
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 12:40AM
Thanks for the advice, I rebuilt the carb and it worked beautifully. However, getting the mixture and idle correct has been a challenge. The car is running rich and as I move the adjustment screws it seems to not change much. I have the idle not too bad but the engine hesitates as well. The timing seems ok so I am thinking the two adjustment screws are not set evenly. I do not have a manual for the car so setting to specs is hard. I will look on line for help. Rebuilding the carb was pretty easy. Look forward to your advice out there. Thanks
Mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 7:03AM
are the mix screws damaged?

they should have straight angles to the point with no rings dug into them from over tightening. adjusting is pretty simple with no specs or equipment, with the engine off turn the screws all the way in gently until they stop, now turn them both out 1 & 1/4 turns. start the engine and let warm to thermostat temp. idle speed should be on the low side so you can hear any change caused by turning the mix screws. open both mix screws 1/4 turn, did the idle speed increase or decrease, did it get happy or angry? continue adjusting the screws until you have the highest idle speed and smoothest idle you can achieve using the idle mix screws. you may need to lower the idle speed screw if the engine picks up a bunch of idle rpm so you can still hear the changes. form best idle now open the screws 1/8 turn even if the engine speed decreases slightly, this puts the engine slightly on the rich side for safety. rich is safe, lean can burn it up. now set the idle speed screw to where you like it. the car should not bang into gear when you put it in Drive, but it shouldn't roll backwards on a slight incline either. let off the brake and it should barely roll on a level surface.

Bang Badda Bing you're an idle mix screw tech Beer

Edited by Rockatansky - 08-April-2019 at 12:44PM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 7:04AM
what's in your distributor, i think i asked before but i forget, is it running points?
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 11:19AM
Just got off work so I will continue to work it. I have an electric ignition. Got rid of the points a long time ago. Pretty excited to be getting better at this stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 11:27AM
what about the rest of the ignition parts, how long since plugs cap rotor wires have been replaced?

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 12:09PM
They are all new, rotor, plugs, wires, cap all of it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 12:42PM
still suspect even being new, did you keep the old stuff?

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 12:45PM
No it was all junk, the car drove great until one day it stalled in traffic, seemed like the fuel pump. Replaced that and then the carb bought the farm. I have it running much smoother. About to take it on a test drive now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 12:51PM
what's the timing set at? vacuum disconnected and plugged ...

has it ever had a timing chain?

Edited by Rockatansky - 08-April-2019 at 12:52PM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 12:54PM
Since I have had it I have not messed with the timing, not very good at that, but it may be an issue

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 1:02PM
get a cheap timing light and we'll get through it, makes a world of difference.

an old bud had his Z28 back into the dealer for warranty work, when he got it back he was fuming They Stole My Cam!

they set the timing to stock spec, all i did was put it back where we had it and all of a sudden his cam was back.
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 1:14PM
Ok cool, thanks, is it right advance, left retard? I had an Alfa romeo years ago that I set the timing with sound, just listening to it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 1:43PM
Eating dinner, if I could call you I would appreciate it. My phone is 254-213-8942 if you want to shoot me a text. I could call later in the week

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 2:06PM
time to rustle something up here too, then TV time ... Ermm

timing by ear IDK w/o a lot of experience, i don't set timing enough to do my own by ear

homey don't text LOL, i'll try the number tomorrow, after what time?

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 3:05PM
Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2019 at 3:06PM
I am in Texas so after 5pm my time

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2019 at 11:02PM
Now that the carb is on and the engine runs rough, it hesitates, would a vacuum leak explain this. It seems to me that rebuilding the carb should not effect the timing. Thoughts? Thanks again everyone for the help. Eventually I will have the experience to add more to the group.
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2019 at 11:45PM
Is it possible that some dirt got left behind in a tiny passage? Some of it is hard to get out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 9:12AM
Ooops got busy here & missed the time

but no kitting the carb won't affect the timing, it just needs to be adjusted once a millennium, whether you think it needs it or not.

that's the key to a good carb, gotta be clean inside.

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2019 at 7:51AM
I took the carb off, soaked it and rebuilt it. I have it running better but still hesitates and kinda surges. When I removed the carb there was a spacer about a 6th of an inch thick between the carb and the manifold. This thick gasket spacer broke apart and I do not have another. I put two gaskets on the manifold when I reinstalled. Was that a mistake? Also the choke is not working correctly. The vacume lines are all.hooked up and it is not leaking. But the rpms do not go to high idle when I start the car. Like I said it is rumming.much better with some adjusting but still not right. Any advice would be great, I will.keep working it until Inget it right. The rebuild was easy
Thanks
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2019 at 3:06PM
If the spacer fell apart, I would wonder if it was bad and had a vacuum leak there to begin with.
if you have a 2100/2150, they will work pretty dirty, you can rebuild them while falling-down drunk, and they work anyway. Fine adjustment? Close enough... Pretty forgiving carb.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markb73gtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2019 at 10:44PM
Thanks, I will get it done, and I agree, it was very easy to rebuild. I will let you know when I get it. I really appreciate all the support from everyone here.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2019 at 2:33PM
the lower EGR plate gasket is exhaust rated, needs to be tough stuff

check Rockauto
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>