The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Photo Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just noticed this.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just noticed this.
    Posted: 09-April-2019 at 3:17PM
I was looking through some pics of the formal q code that were taken just before I bought my car and was kind of chuckling to myself when viewing this pic. There is no doubt in my mind that the owner used as much of the dial as he could. As far as I know, he still has the car. Original owner and has all the paperwork from day one.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2019 at 4:06PM
Thumbs Upregular one's went to 120
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2019 at 10:10PM
Factory option? Now I have to call again and see if it can be had for short money.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 7:58AM
140 mph is the cop speedo

certified calibration

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 8:10AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

140 mph is the cop speedo

certified calibration

I don't see any seal from the DOT or whoever calibrates them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 8:13AM
Ford. they probably just get an extra inspection / QC step

72 GT Ute

7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 8:59AM
Actually, the PD has to re-certify the speedo's in every vehicle in service, and have the paperwork on-hand in case it's needed in court.  My dad told me about getting out of a ticket way back that was only 3-4 MPH over the posted limit.  When the officer told the court he used his speedo to clock my dad,  My dad requested the officers vehicle calibration, it wasn't current, so the ticket was tossed.

And yeah, My dad would go to court over such a thing(perfect driving record and all...)LOL
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 9:07AM
Cousin Vinny
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 10:20AM
All civilian cars got 120 mph speedometers from 1972-76.  The 140 mph speedometer was exclusive to the police package (certified calibration) and was not listed as a separate option on the 1972 option list.   This guy may have been the original owner to an original car, but at some point someone swapped out the speedometer. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 10:48AM
He told me he bought it off the lot cash. Owned a shop until he got into IT. He must have changed it. It has trac loc with gears in the 3's if I remember. Some engine upgrades as well.

No dents on what I saw. Just some rust flakes on the floor under it. Typical rust areas but not through the body yet.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 10:51AM
Who knows, he could have even had the dealer install it when it was new. Looks nice from what I can see. The Q-codes had two rearend options, either 3.25 gears or 3.50 gears.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 11:12AM
If it was a fastback, I would have bought it even though the color turns me off.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 11:54AM
Vin is 2B38233***.

It was made in Oakville plant and sold to Boaton dso.

Has a locking 3.25 axle. I may touch bases with the guy to see if he still has it. If it is short money to get it, who knows what could happen.
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 8:32AM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

Vin is 2B38233***.

It was made in Oakville plant and sold to Boaton dso.

Has a locking 3.25 axle. I may touch bases with the guy to see if he still has it. If it is short money to get it, who knows what could happen.

The 38 is an Formal Roof Sport. NOT a common car being an actual factory sport package in the Formal not Sport(fastback) roof.
Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 10:16AM
There were only about half the number of formal roof GTS's made compared to the Fastbacks.

Gran Torino Sport 2-door hardtop  - 31,239 
 Gran Torino Sport 2-door fastback   - 60,794 
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 10:55AM
Still not a fan of the formal. The car has been covered in a "garage" under his house on a lake. Not sure when it was run last or if he had rebuilt it at some point. I am guessing he had it out since he owned a shop for a long time.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2019 at 4:54PM
I parted out a Q Code '72 GTS Formal. When it was new, it was probably beautiful. Red, white top, white CW buckets, console, Lazer stripes, Magnums, Competition package, gauges, rim blow. I really thought about fixing it up, but didn't.

I like the Sportroof cars, have had many (even a '72 Q Code 4 speed), but there is just something sleeperish about a nicely built Formal.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2019 at 5:35PM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

I like the Sportroof cars, have had many (even a '72 Q Code 4 speed), but there is just something sleeperish about a nicely built Formal.

yep thats why I love the base cars so much, plain and homly. They remind me of the max wedge dodges in a way, so ugly , ya just gotta love em, BUT they better RUN!!!!  lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2019 at 6:33AM
the SportsRoof body looks like a bloated whale carcass with the rear end up hardly at all.
72 GT Ute

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2019 at 8:07AM

the SportsRoof body looks like a bloated whale carcass with the rear end up hardly at all.
Personally like the formals better as well, but a sportsroof Montego? That's a different story.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2019 at 8:40AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Personally like the formals better as well, but a sportsroof Montego? That's a different story.
Thumbs UpWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2019 at 8:57AM
Who doesn't love bloated whale carcasses? I certainly love them until they try to blow them up with tnt.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2019 at 9:01AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2019 at 9:25AM
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2019 at 12:53PM

Ouch, that's harsh Rock!! Shocked  I won't mention what I think the Ranchero's resemble.... Wink I myself much prefer the sportier looks of the fastback roofline, much more muscle car era appearing to me.  I do like the formals too, especially clean ones with little trim and no vinyl tops.  I think Joes formal looks awesome for example. And of course the S&H cars are awesome too.  I also think that the formal cars look way better with the rear end jacked up, while the fastbacks don't look great jacked at the rear.

The Montego GT's are bad ass too, I like the clean quarters, but I much prefer the Torino front end to the Montego.  YMMV...
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2019 at 1:45PM
IDK i think the formals without trim so you see the crisp clean body lines make them more muscle car appearing IMOWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2019 at 2:02PM
How many of either are still around? Take what you can get and be happy. The supply is dwindling daily.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2019 at 2:09PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

I won't mention what I think the Ranchero's resemble.... Wink

they look fine until you get to the end of the doors, then it's just about a 1/2 ton of chewed bubble gum LOL

don't get me wrong the 72 Fishmouth Fastback is a sexy Censored but jack up the rear or drop the front much at all and the look changes dramatically from level. take most of the chef's out of the kitchen and put the 72 Gran front & rear fascia's on the Montego GT and call me Yankee Doodle. i just have a hard time snuggling up to those square Mercury kissers Pinch

72 GT Ute

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2019 at 3:44PM
Roofs, roofs, roofs...

Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 6:15AM
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>