The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poly control arm bushings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poly control arm bushings?
    Posted: 10-April-2019 at 9:56AM

Here is the bushing kit I bought. I assume that both the upper and lower bushings re-use the OEM cups. So the bottoms get burned out as well? Also, air cool the hot steel so it doesn't change the temper? Need advice on this one, going to the shop next week and want all my i's dotted and tees crossed. I am going to let them use my manual if they guarantee it won't get damaged.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 10:01AM
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 10:28AM
Yes, that kit is for top and bottoms.  Just make sure when you reassemble the upper shaft you get the shaft oriented correctly.  I just used a torch and heated up the rubber. They popped out pretty quickly that way, didn't need much heat and let them air cool.  There was no damage to the shells.

Keep in mind you may have to tell the shop to trim the lower bushings.  That came up recently where the poly bushing for the lower arm stuck out beyond the metal shell.  If you trim it flush with the shell, it will fit fine.  While they have it apart, get them to trim those coils too. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 10:49AM
Excellent. Will do.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 11:44AM
maybe a 1/4 coil Big smile
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 12:03PM
Not going to cut the springs this time around. I can do it next fall.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 12:06PM
Anyone have pics of how the lower bushings should look when trimmed and ready for install?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 12:09PM
Does the sleeve get trimmed as well?

Sorry about all the questions.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 1:02PM
John, just trim the bushing, IF needed.   Check out this thread where it was recently covered.  The poly bushing stuck out further than the steel sleeve, and needed to be trimmed back to fit in the frame properly.

Also, if you plan on cutting the springs anyway, why wouldn't you do it now?  They will have to remove the springs to do this job and they literally take 5 minutes to cut.  Just trying to save you some work is all. 

FWIW, here is Pauls car, before and after 1 1/4 coil was cut.  With the nose up high like that, you'd be getting a lot of front end lift at highway speeds, making the front end light and less planted.  But obviously it's your car, so do whatever you feel is best.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

See some stance photos here:

Vince

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 2:22PM
just heat the shells near the middle not glowing hot just enough the rubber starts smoking and sounds like bacon frying, then push it out with a piece of wood or metal Wink after it's cooled clean the inside of the shells with emery cloth or 80 grit sandpaper just to get any rubber remnants off clean
 you shouldn't need to cut the sleeves at all
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 3:50PM
Man, I would have bought old lazarus. Followed all the threads Paul made. Lot of heartache in that car.

I will definitely have the springs cut. What a difference in the stance.

Can't remember how much he cut off but I will look at the old threads and see what is the "norm".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 4:03PM
Do the sleeves go in after the bushing or before? Can the bushings be trimmed before installation in the cup?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 6:43PM
grease the inside of the shell and the outside of the bushing and press it into the shell, then a little grease inside the bushing then press in the sleeve Wink they can be pressed back out if you need to they don't press in super tight, so removing them is easy.
 when it's apart, i'd check the fit of the sleeve in the cross member, if it's correct then press in the bushing into the arm, then the sleeve  flush with the large end of the bushing, see how the length is? the bushing can be a 1/16" longer than the sleeve, as the sleeve length will determine the amount of crush when tight Wink you don't want the bushing to be shorter than the sleeve as that would allow the arm to walk back and forth on the tightened sleeve assembly, if that makes sense?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2019 at 7:03PM
vince stated he cut 1 1/4 coils off? spring rates and such can very but a general rule of thumb i've found on most cars seems to be 1/2 a coil = 1" of drop...
 also they are out make your cut with a 4" grinder Wink cut springs are easier to reinstall Big smile
 reassemble one side, only tightening the ball joint nut finger tight (so it can be removed easily if you need to take it back apart to cut more Wink) once you're satisfied just tighten the nuts then Wink
cut the other side the same amount reassemble it (finger tight) now let the car down on the tires ROLL IT BACK AND FORTH 3 - 6 FEET TO RELAX THE SIDE TENSION OF THE TIRES!! as it will sit a few inches higher when just having removed the jack Wink
 after you're satisfied with the final stance... tighten the ball joint nuts and install the cotter pins, get an alignment Big smile

this is way cutting the springs now is a good idea... 1) they are out 2) no sense having to get another alignment later, because you'll need to get one now since having messed with the bushings.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 12:44AM
Great advice as usual. The shop doing the work is owned by my wife's best friend's family. I had originally been in contact with the guys when I made my Arizona trip. They spend every weekend down east and are closed on weekends once the weather is warm again.
I just happened to be driving by and stopped in to say hi and asked if they'd do the bushings.
I will make a list of things to be aware of as well as the spring cutting. If they allow me to, I can "supervise" but nobody likes having to listen to someone barking at them to do it right. I may bring it by to get a price later on.

One other shop to stop at as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 5:56AM
FYI special grease for poly Wink
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 10:20AM
I find shops are more understanding when you bring an old car  They usually know they are someone's baby and know the owners are more picky than the average Joe.
According to Paul's post the shop cut 1 and 1/4 coil from his springs.  So you can use that as a guideline for cutting your springs.  If you check out that link I posted, it has tons of pics of different cars, and the spring setups they are using.  I made that thread so people can try to pick a spring combo that suits their tastes.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 10:40AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

I find shops are more understanding when you bring an old car  They usually know they are someone's baby and know the owners are more picky than the average Joe.
According to Paul's post the shop cut 1 and 1/4 coil from his springs.  So you can use that as a guideline for cutting your springs.  If you check out that link I posted, it has tons of pics of different cars, and the spring setups they are using.  I made that thread so people can try to pick a spring combo that suits their tastes.

Good deal with the pics of the CVPI front spring.
The main difference is the tire sizes as to how much gap shows on them.
I run 14" and 15" tires on mine. that makes for a whole different look than most with the bigger tires. I am looking to raise her up a little though. level her off high enough that the side pipes will sit nice without catching on every speed bump.
Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 11:01AM
The friend's shop told me to call next Friday. Didn't even look at the car.

Second shop the guy is working alone now and said no way on the poly bushings. I ordered rubber just in case I have him do it.

There are a couple more I am going to check out tomorrow.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2019 at 1:33PM
no way on the poly bushings??? for cryin' out loud!!! get it out here to me i can do it!!!Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply