The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cowl Openings 72 Montego GT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cowl Openings 72 Montego GT
    Posted: 14-April-2019 at 11:27AM
I recently discovered standing water in the access for my wiper arm upon removing the cowl screen. Had to have just become plugged as I never noticed before. I read in another thread a reference to a drain in these, but I can't really tell as I have yet to remove the wiper arm mechanism. No water inside the car thankfully, and I sucked out all the water with the vac. Is this a flapper type drain or is it just a hole that becomes clogged?

As a side note, anyone know of a source for replacement plugs for the small, oval holes in the cowl? Mine is missing one and I have scoured the net but have only located the circular type rubber plugs.

Thanks as always for comments / suggestions
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 12:02PM
There are 3 drains in the cowl.
1 at each end of the cowl behind the fender, you cant see them.

the 3rd is directly below the wiper motor, straight down below the screen you removed. There is an oval shaped rubbed boot on the cowl below that pushed out area. keep digging out all the trash out of the pocket. the rubber "boot" is like a nipple with a slit in it, supposed to keep critters from getting in and let the water drain out. BUT, instead it collects dust dirt and debris that then clogs it up and rots it all out.
Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 2:01PM
carl's right, it's probably plugged with leaves and crap! 67/68 mustangs have the same oval plugs for holes elsewhere but same plug Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
texanrebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2019 at 2:29PM
Thank you gentlemen...I really appreciate the assistance!
Billy
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2019 at 1:10PM
This thread here:

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/infofront-fender-fastening-differences-1972-to-73_topic17585.html

shows the cowl drain holes on the side of the cowl. Go to the fourth pic down and you will see the opening.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2019 at 2:22PM
Vince - is that it above the "F" in the word LEFT?
Thanks for reposting this...I will be roto-rooting my drains the best I can this weekend.
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2019 at 2:39PM
I circled it in yellow in the photo.  In this one the drain covers are no longer in place in this photo.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2019 at 2:52PM
very good, thanks again!
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
 Post Reply Post Reply