The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carburetor switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carburetor switch
    Posted: 20-April-2019 at 4:37AM
I have a holly 600 cfm and it need kitted, I can get a edlebrock 600 new for 300 ish. Seems like the holly needs a kit every year and it's getting old. Thoughts?
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2019 at 4:50AM
I've run the 600 Edelbrocks on a lot of my cars, including my Heritage with a 400.  No complaints.  
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
73torino gt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2019 at 4:56AM
How many gaskets are in it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2019 at 5:15AM
Model number 350-1406 would put it on a edlebrock performer
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2019 at 8:03AM
Originally posted by 73torino gt 73torino gt wrote:

How many gaskets are in it?

None below the fuel level, other than the one between the intake and the carb.Big smile  It's one of the things I like about 'em!

John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
Regul8r 2 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2019 at 2:23PM
I LOVE MY HOLLEYS!!!
Carl, Member/Admin since 07. Still the same admin/moderator REGUL8R just needed a 2nd account for more picture space.
Owner- www.CaNDeCustoms.com
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2019 at 3:05PM
Holley's are great tuning carbs.  But as I got older, I prefer a set-it-and-forget-it approach.  Don't get Me wrong, I love working on cars and always will, but after a few dozen years of playing with carbs, dealing with warped bowls, leaking crossover tubes, changing jets, and replacing blown power valves(and the wonderful workbench full of gas that comes with these thingsWink), the fun kinda wore off.  
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2019 at 4:15PM
Thanks for the info guys I think its switch time
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2019 at 4:15PM
also look at the Summit Model 2008 Series carbs, they're available with the Ford kickdown linkage connection built in which is an add-on rig with an Edelbrock

i'd go with a 600 vacuum secondary for a mild auto transmission driver that's going to stay mild, or the 750 vac sec if you think you might grow into it. either will run good on the street with the 600 being a little better in the low end response with stock converter and highway gears

750 manual secondaries IMO for manual transmission or stall converter and performance gears

if you do decide on an Edelbrock carb, bump up to the next cfm you'd use if it was a Holley. they're not rated by the same standards, a 600 Eddy is not comparable to a 600 Holley. you might be disappointed with a 600 Eddy after having a 600 Holley
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2019 at 2:48AM
Looks like I got some more thinking to do thanks again guys.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2019 at 2:24AM
How much of a difference are we talking between the holly and the eddy?
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2019 at 4:47AM
you can run any of them out of the box, just set the idle and go, problem is you're leavin power on the table. as far as blown power valves, i think holley has had the check ball in place to prevent that since the late 90's. I have only had one edelbrock carb and it always felt a bit lazy to me but it was on a low comp 351w in a truck with 2.79 gears too, so.....................     I never had any of the leakage problems with my holleys, maybe I just got lucky.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2019 at 10:22AM
I just want a set a forget so I can enjoy driving it and less time worrying about it.I'd love to do a efi conversion but way to expensive.
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2019 at 11:50AM
Originally posted by 73torino gt 73torino gt wrote:

I just want a set a forget so I can enjoy driving it and less time worrying about it.I'd love to do a efi conversion but way to expensive.

I have yet to see one of those efi conversions that wasn't in a constant state of "still workin on tune".  you aren't gettin out of any headaches with them either lol
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2019 at 2:37PM
Holley power valves still fail from normal use, and dry out & seep fuel until they totally fail and flow fuel uncontrollably

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2019 at 5:08AM
U guys ate a wealth of information on here I appalling the advice
mean steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mean steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2019 at 4:09AM
I second the bolt on fuel injection comment. Constantly fooling with it and never met a person who wasn't still tuning no matter how long it's been on. Really just electric carburetor. The self tuning is a joke with all of them.
I run an 800 aluminum Demon. Probably not a help for your original question.
In my opinion, I would get a new holly 650ish for it. Simply for the fact that it should just R and R. Ford should have a holly. Carter on a dodge. I'm just snobby that way. Hope it helps.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2019 at 6:21AM
And I will third the FI comment too.  After helping a buddy mess with a FiTech on his Chevelle, I can't say I was overly impressed with how well it worked or the support offered by the company.  In his case, he had sold the car when the EFI started acting up.  He ended up swapping a carb back on to get the car running right again so it could be delivered to the new owner.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2019 at 8:38AM
Originally posted by mean steve mean steve wrote:

I second the bolt on fuel injection comment. Constantly fooling with it and never met a person who wasn't still tuning no matter how long it's been on. Really just electric carburetor. The self tuning is a joke with all of them.
I run an 800 aluminum Demon. Probably not a help for your original question.
In my opinion, I would get a new holly 650ish for it. Simply for the fact that it should just R and R. Ford should have a holly. Carter on a dodge. I'm just snobby that way. Hope it helps.
Thumbs Up holley everything! and webers on jap cars Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torino gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2019 at 1:35PM
I'm definitely not going the efi route. To spEndy and to many issues from all the comments.
 Post Reply Post Reply