The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Four Doors and Wagons
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wagon fuel tanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wagon fuel tanks
    Posted: 24-April-2019 at 4:03AM
Morning all-
I got into a bit of a discussion on needed Torino parts, and the theme for Wagon owners seems to be the need for a replacement fuel tank.

I was talking to a company that builds tanks, and the guys were asking what sort of demand is there, and is there a tank available to look at.

The issue here is, frankly I won't lie, it's not a cheap preposition to undertake due to low volume and basically fabricating a custom one-off piece.

The balance comes in, much like we've been doing recently for other items, in getting a group buy together to produce a part for our cars.

I posted up on Facebook, but I want to have something here so we can it where discuss things and not have the discussion get lost in a matter of days.  
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2019 at 4:24AM
I might be interested in one, but my budget is very tight. My car’s been running off a jerry can in the engine bay because there’s rust in my tank from sitting so long, but I was going to go the cheap route and dump some sealer/fluid into the tank.

What I kind of want to do though (once I have the money...) is have Fuel Safe make me a fuel cell. The tank location really isn’t ideal in a driver’s side hit.
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
torinojon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinojon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2019 at 10:51AM
there is 2 types of wagons tanks for the 1972 -77 torino and montego.i tried a 1975 torino wagon tank in my 1973 montego wagon and it did not fit.i found a nos 77 ltd 2 wagon tank for my wagon and put it in.so the problem is there is 2 tanks for these wagons.same tank but some thing in the neck is not the same..

Edited by torinojon - 24-November-2019 at 4:46PM
http://forum.grantorinosport.org/uploads/3190/marti5.jpg
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2019 at 3:45PM
Hmm. I have a '76 wagon tank I was going to install into one of my '72 wagons. Wonder what the difference is?
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2019 at 4:19PM
Me too. I will wait for your response after you get done.Wink
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2022 at 4:40AM
The parts wagon I grabbed  trim from has the fuel tank sitting out of it. Guy said it didn't leak but is gunked up inside. Not sure about shipping but it is free  73 Tirino wagon.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2022 at 5:21AM
I would grab the tank. A radiator shop can boil the tank for cheap.

That way if a guy is looking for a usable tank, he can have the tank coated inside and out by a radiator shop and be good to go.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply