The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MSD 6AL where do I put it

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MSD 6AL where do I put it
    Posted: 13-May-2019 at 8:43PM
Hi all
finally getting some time to work on the 72 Torino (351c)so first bit of fun is  new MSD dist and 6AL unit
before i start drilling holes im hoping someone can tell me the best spot to mount the 6AL thanks 
Dave
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2019 at 12:23PM
I put mine on the side of the battery between the fender and battery.  There is a pic on my project thread.  I cant seem to post a pic. Maybe something changed.  I haven't been around in a bit. -Rick-
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2019 at 2:20PM
That's odd, my old Motorola ignition box was mounted on the driver side (opposite from battery) near the windshield washer reservoir. 

I also purchased the MSD 6AL and mounting kit. Was planning on mounting mine in the same place as the old box unless someone has other recommendations? Which location was stock mounting point for these?

-Mike
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2019 at 3:24PM
I was also looking for a factory look that's why I chose to hide the box 
mean steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mean steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2019 at 4:04AM
I mounted mine virticaly to the core support behind the pass inside headlight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2019 at 4:49AM
For me, the stock location is more important than worrying someone walking up at a car show and seeing "MSD" on the box lol!

I also got the black one instead of the red, so it wouldn't stand out as much. 

Can anyone confirm that the stock location is mounted on the driver side frame? 
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2019 at 1:33PM
Are you guys talking about a 72 model? I never seen the battery mounted on the drivers side and also a Motorola box? I didn't think that was available in 72. Just askin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2019 at 1:58PM
Originally posted by 72GTS351CJ 72GTS351CJ wrote:

Are you guys talking about a 72 model? I never seen the battery mounted on the drivers side and also a Motorola box? I didn't think that was available in 72. Just askin

You are right Rick.  There was no ignition control boxes on 1972 Torinos.  The first Torinos to use the electronic ignitions were the 1974 models (400,460 powered cars and CA emission cars). They used Ford solid state ignition which was similar to the Dura Spark system.  All '75-76 cars used Solid State Ignition too, and which mean they would have the externally mounted module.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2019 at 4:49PM
Mine is 1976. Battery is mounted in front on passenger side. Motorola ignition box is mounted in front on frame, driver side. No idea if that location or the box itself is stock. So wanted to see if someone can confirm that is, in fact, the stock location.
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2019 at 5:05AM
Originally posted by torinomike650 torinomike650 wrote:

Mine is 1976. Battery is mounted in front on passenger side. Motorola ignition box is mounted in front on frame, driver side. No idea if that location or the box itself is stock. So wanted to see if someone can confirm that is, in fact, the stock location.

Yes, it sounds like yours is at the stock location.  It should be on the driver's side.  I thought mine was mounted low on the inner fender, I can look when I get home.  If I had to guess, you have an OEM style replacement made by Motorola.  Here's how it should look:

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2019 at 6:53AM
Yes that's pretty much how it looks. Although I'm guessing the MSD box has different connectors and specific instructions for Ford application? I'll have to make sure I have everything I need before mounting it.
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2019 at 11:14AM
Motorola was making transistorized ignition systems as early as 1965 or before,

it's a collectors item and will probably outlast 5 msd's

72 GT Ute

tommy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2019 at 10:52PM
thanks all ive put it on top of the wheel arch driver side its the black series MSD 6AL (got the black pro billet dizzy to go with it)but not hiding it im going resto mod want to get rid of as much as the old sh*t as i can afford so i can drive it without breaking down every time love this car!!!!
Dave
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2019 at 3:12PM
maybe the first time i've heard of using MSD equipment for reliability,

why not ICE?
72 GT Ute

tommy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2019 at 11:46PM
ran the same set up on my mach 1 393 500 plus hp never let me down Ice is a lot dearer here in Oz actually heaps more expensive here ship loads

Post Reply Post Reply