The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 gran torino sport 4spd with bench seat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qcode72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2019 at 1:43PM
have two 4 speed cars. one is a factor bench seat car. If you jack the car up,and put a wrench on the sh*t bolts on the trans side to check for movement.The trans may stuck in neutral. or the shifter may be sliding on the stock rods.They are are slotted.
Blue fox 1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue fox 1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2019 at 2:32PM
ok so I started the car and put it in 4th gear and got a very faint grind when I released the clutch it went away when I pressed clutch again. Maybe just need to replace clutch?
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2019 at 2:44PM
Clutch, possibly broken input shaft.  Either way, your probably gonna have to drop the trans to find out.
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2019 at 2:44PM
BTW, where you at in Alabama?
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2019 at 3:10PM
idk something weird going on there i'd check the things others said!!! also if you have a helper have them step on the clutch while you look under there at the clutch rods see it they move? you can do this without it running. then have them shift gears without it running watch the shift rods see if they are moving? with the stands under the axle.. set the e-brake with the shifter in neutral not running see if you can turn the driveline? if that all checks out ok then you may need to pull the tranny and check from there ...shaft or clutch...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue fox 1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2019 at 3:36PM
wont be off till Wednesday but will start sorting things out then. I'm near Birmingham AL.  
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2019 at 3:42PM
pic of the shift rods (stolen from Dan Wessman & Ranchero.circusUSA)

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue fox 1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2020 at 5:56AM
ok guys so think it's the spider gears in the rear and the clutch just going to replace all new. But I have a new ? Are there any new style mustang wheels that will fit my torino and film the wheel well. I like some of the new stock wheels just wondering if maybe the 2013 and newer or older mustang wheels would work. 
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2020 at 6:56AM
Use a selfie stand and take a video of your transmission linkages while going through the pattern. Then watch the video. The shifter has an alignment hole to put a rod in so the link rods can be correctly asjusted. Hurst shifter?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12