The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: Console Mounting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INFO: Console Mounting
    Posted: 12-June-2019 at 2:13AM
My car was an original bench seat car and I am converting to buckets and a cosole.  I have the console but need to know how it mounts to the floor, what brackets, location, etc.  If anyone has any pictures it would be greatly appreciated, also would like to buy some brackets if anyone has any.  thanks  -  dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2019 at 2:43PM
Definitely has brackets. Not sure of their location. Someone has pics I am sure. I had seen them in an old thread but forget where.
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2019 at 4:14PM
I'm doing the exact thing Dave. All I have seen were these brackets in a picture of a console that sold recently on eBay. 
Description Read: Decent console for Ford midsize models. Mounting brackets and tray insert included. Slight crack around the latch [latch still works] and light wear.  If color change is desired, has not been treated with any silicone products. 

If/When you find out something else, please post. 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Standard Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2019 at 4:59PM
there's a diagram here somewhere in someone's thread...  the hook tab type low bracket goes up front, the slot in the front of the console hooks into it the tall A frame bracket goes in the middle of the console in front of the compartment and the 1 1/2" wide medium height hrackets go towards the rear of the console to sit on they are pop riveted to the sides of the tranny tunnel Wink

i have 1 or 2 rear brackets but not the rest...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2019 at 5:38PM
Brent, thanks for posting the picture, that helps.  I bought a parts car about 10 years ago and got the console out of it but did not take any pictures of the brackets at that time. 
John, I do have the A frame bracket, now that I see a picture of it its in a box by where I have the console.  Just to clarify the middle bracket in the picture is the rear bracket?  And is the front bracket bolted to the floor or is it riveted too?  I'm thinking the front one should be pretty easy to fab if I get the placement right from the A frame bracket.  I'll have to check a few more boxes to see if I have the front bracket but I am sure I did not remove the rear bracket if it's pop riveted.  If you have a rear bracket available I would definitely be interested.  thanks  -  dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2019 at 5:42PM
Found this picture from an earlier post (sorry don't remember whose post) that shows brackets on a bare floor but not sure if these are the right ones.
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2019 at 6:01PM
Great picture of the floor and brackets. I'll be needing all brackets if anyone has extras. Not sure I can use a front one as the piece where the slot is, is broken off my console like a lot of others I've seen. 
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2019 at 2:35AM
Found a photo from a current listing on ebay which shows the placement of the brackets.                                                                                
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2019 at 6:52AM
I saw that white console too, but didn't realize those were brackets underneath by the compartment box. So going from the picture of the floor with brackets on the hump and this picture...it looks like there's part 1 of the bracket attached to the hump and a connecting part 2 of the bracket inside of the console.

Just did a search after getting home and here's a link to a thread with pictures and measurements for the brackets. Now just to find brackets! lol 

Edited by Uante - 13-June-2019 at 12:14PM
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2019 at 3:44PM
that's not the thread i saw, but john's thread is good and measurements are clear to see Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2019 at 4:52AM
Great post!

I'm doing the same conversion! Will need brackets too, and I hope they can be fabricated.
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2019 at 5:11AM
I'm going to go out to the local parts yard this or next weekend to look for brackets. So I assume Torino, Montego, Cougar all had the same for mid 70's? Also I saw a thread on here that said 77 Thunderbird brackets would work too. It'd be nice to get a list of all the cars and years with the same brackets. 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2019 at 12:10PM
Off the top of my head, I am pretty sure they are all the same. If you want to know for sure I can try and find them in the parts catalog. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2019 at 12:27PM
Just checked the inventory at the local yard. They have a couple of 77 Thunderbirds and one even had a picture of the inside (who knows how much of it is left) that shows the same console. Just have to go there and see what they have...maybe they only have the hump part of the brackets, which is a good start. 

77 T-Bird

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2019 at 2:14PM
None of the brackets are particularly complicated.
I took pictures and measurements for someone a couple years ago on here.
With a few basic tools and materials, they should be easy to make.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Bensport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2019 at 3:59PM
   Had to pull my console today when I dropped a dash screw down there and thought about this thread and snapped a pic... Hope it helps..There are 6 screws holding console to the brackets. 2 right under the lid to hold to the tall bracket, and 4 screws, 1 down in each corner of the console itself to the short brackets.
Ben

73 GTS Sport Roof
96 F350 7.3 Powerstroke/Chip
96 Bronco 5.8 Eddie B on 35's
95 Bronco 5.8 Eddie Bauer
06 Peterbilt 335
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2019 at 8:48AM
This morning I picked up that console I mentioned in my last post I made. It's from a 77 Thunderbird. Complete with no cracks and it came with the the brackets and a shifter delete panel $150. 
The rest of the interior and seats were gone, but I guess no one needed the console. The yard wanted $75 for the delete panel and the brackets (which is all I needed) or $150 for it all, so I just bought the whole thing. 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2019 at 10:23AM
The compartment cover/pad is a rarity in good shape.
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2019 at 10:23AM
Good deal. 
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2019 at 2:59PM

So...
The console brackets are 4 pieces. The front one mounts on the hump and goes through the slot (this console like most has a broken front slot). The second bracket is in two pieces...the piece that mounts on the hump and the arch piece that runs up into the console in front of the inner box. The rear bracket mounts on the hump. The inner box screws to both the aft edge of the middle bracket and the to the rear bracket. That's all the mounting there is, at least on this one. 

This console also had the blank out panel with both under tabs intact, a good box light cover and lid latch, the removable sectioner for the inner box, and 56 cents of loose change including a 1970 quarter and a 1978 nickel. The other quarter was a 2008. 

'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2019 at 3:10PM
My console has a top that was fabbed and has no latch. Not a big deal. I would be surprised if it has all the parts you are showing in the picture.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2019 at 5:35AM

That's the identical setup to my factory '72 console. There isn't a ton of hardware holding it in place, but once it's tied together it's pretty solid.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2019 at 6:40AM
I have pics from inside mine when I pulled it out.  If you want pics, email me and I'll show you right where they go.
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2019 at 3:49PM
Question for anyone who has dealt with these consoles .  My console has what I thought was a missing piece on the left side towards the front, however in looking at two other consoles, one from ebay and one from the post of 75 Gran Man (John) it shows the same area missing.  Was this the way they were designed for clearance (possibly for the floor shifter mount)?  I was just getting ready to fab a filler piece but if this is how it's designed I won't have to.  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2019 at 3:56PM
It was shaped to fit the floor hump and carpet.
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2019 at 4:54PM
Thanks, John, that's what I was thinking.  My car was not a floor shift car so I guess I will make a filler piece for it.  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2019 at 7:55PM
I suspepct mine is the same unless it came from a different model vehicle.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2019 at 3:06PM
Yep. You have a console from a floor shift car. There is a "lump" or "hump" that attached to the floor that the shifter was attached to. The non-shifter consoles do not have that "cut-out".
By all appearances, the factory had several beavers on staff that chewed out the clearance notches for shifter humps. Frequently, it looks like the beavers drank on the job.
Heavily.
Randy
1979 T-Bird

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2019 at 3:10PM
LOL That is too funny. My car has no floor shifter. Not sure if the console was for a non floor shift vehicle. I want to say there is no cut out yet. Maybe one day.

Edited by handsofstone - 09-July-2019 at 3:47PM
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2019 at 4:14PM
Randy, from the appearance on mine it looks like a somewhat erratic outline on the cutout section so I would definitely agree with your assessment.  Not sure if they took a regular console and cut this section out on the floor shift cars but it definitely is not a smooth cut.
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>