The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: Console Mounting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2019 at 3:22AM
The carpet must hide the edge.
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2019 at 1:51PM
Not sure if I can take a screen shot and email it to myself but will try later.
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2019 at 3:47PM
That's a really good diagram of the mounts, console and accessories!  
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Standard Van
- Brent *USAF RET*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2019 at 3:57PM
I may have to make an drop-in compartment. Never knew they existed until seeing yours.
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2019 at 3:39AM
 Got these pictures from Hogfiddles that he was having a problem trying to post and he wanted to share them on this post, he stated these are the original locations that he found when pulling apart his interior. The first picture is the front bracket and the second picture is the middle and rear bracket.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
Dave - 1973 GTS N code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2019 at 5:05AM
The front bracket is held in with rivets. Not sure how to locate the bracket. Here is what I have in my car.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2019 at 5:07AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2019 at 5:09AM
Not sure if this diagram is any clearer.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2019 at 10:31AM
All the locations key off the raised brace in the floor.
All the consoles started out the same, then the shifter consoles faced the beavers.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2019 at 10:39AM
Makes sense. Imagine having the  beaver job. What long boring days.

Edited by handsofstone - 11-July-2019 at 3:38PM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2019 at 1:08PM
That looks better John, thanks.  When I have some time I will make up a new post in the reference section. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2019 at 3:11PM
those were 1/8" pop rivets you could use 1/8" self tapping screws if you had to...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2019 at 7:32AM
Well I spent today searching our local old car parts yard going through all the Torinos, Montegos, and Thunderbirds.  Found no remaining consoles or floor brackets.  If Brent (Uante) reads this would it be possible to get some measurements on the brackets to help with making new ones, I know from this post that there are numerous people this would help and would be a good reference for those in the future.  thanks  -   dave

Edited by 1973gts - 12-July-2019 at 7:47AM
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2019 at 2:25PM
i could get the measurements at a later time as we are doing a console swap in my buddy dave's 76 i did the hump/floor shift column swap a while back, just did floor pans last weekend, and the console will be later.... Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2019 at 3:22PM
Whatever you could do John would be greatly appreciated.  I won't be putting mine in for a while but will start making the brackets whenever I can get the measurements.  thanks  -  dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2019 at 7:11PM
i can measure his brackets, i thought you meant the measurements for the location on the tranny tunnel, i can get those later too!
 also looks like brent got brackets so the 2 flat ones can go to you when i find them???
 i've been so damn busy with work and parts i haven't had much time for anything so i'm going to a car show tomorrow first one this year, then i'll be looking through a bunch of parts  so i'll keep an eye out for those bracketsWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2019 at 2:03AM
The tunnel measurements would be very helpful.  If you do locate the brackets would love to get them, just let me know if you do locate.  thanks again  -  dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2019 at 2:10AM
Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2019 at 2:56AM
I saw the posts about measurements last night...I'll get a few initial pictures this morning and we can go from there depending on what other dimensions you need. The arch piece is the heaviest gauge steel and seems to be the main support. 
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2019 at 4:27AM
This may not be of interest, but when I removed the console, shifter and interior out of a 1974 XR7 I had, I wrote the measurements inside the removed shifter hump of the exact location of where the floor shifter hump is located on the floorpan. Since they are written inside the hump (figured I would not lose them that way) I can make a picture of them if anyone needs it.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2019 at 5:28AM
I am not doing the floor shift so won't be using the hump but it would probably be good to have on this thread should others want to.  It would be good to have all the info in one spot so please do  post them.  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2019 at 5:40AM
Here's some pictures of sizes and such for the Arch bracket and base plate. 

It's about 6" wide and 9" tall. 

Close up of Corner attach point 

Measurement across top

Offset lower attach holes 

Hole spacing, just needs to match whatever you make the base plate to. 

Base Plate 

Attach configuration. Two holes on forward tab are for attaching to car hump. Two holes in the middle by the larger hole are for attaching through the bottom of the console glovebox. And two more attach holes in angled rear tabs. 

Side profile of Arch mount. 
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*
Uante View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2019 at 5:53AM
Some shots of the rear and front brackets 

Rear Bracket. Console attaches to it through the rear of the console glove box floor. 

Profile of height for hump attachment 

Bottom view

Front Bracket 

Profile of front bracket. My front hole that this feeds through is broken as most are I think. I'm going to make a metal plate for inside and outside of feed through area and rivet them together once I get my car back and can verify fit and everything. 
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
- Brent *USAF RET*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2019 at 6:50AM
Nice writeup. Even I could fab those. Clap
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2019 at 6:56PM
Some pics with dimensions I sent someone about 5 years ago.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2019 at 4:31AM
I just want to post a thank you to all who are participating in this, we are definitely getting enough information and pictures to make this a very doable project.  When John gets the tunnel measurements (no rush on this, John, I won't be putting the console in for a while yet) we should have all the information we need.  I am also starting to make a filler piece for my beaver area but due to the irregular outline of the section I may first smooth it out to hopefully make it easier to fab a piece to fit.  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2019 at 5:23AM
 I am not at the point yet of installing my console so I decided to work on the cut out section on the side of the console.  I picked up a package of plastic sheets at the local Ryders Hobby shop store                     

I then made a cardboard template of the missing section                                                                                

After transferring the outline onto the plastic I attempted to cut the plastic with a scroll saw.  This did not work very well due to the plastic melting as it was cut making precise lines very difficult.  After some fine tuning with a file I got a pretty good contour of the piece.                                                                          

I then cut a backing piece to glue to the inside of the console for the filler piece to rest on making it flush with the outside of the console.                                                                                                                     

I then glued the filler piece onto the backing plate and the console.                                                                                                          

After it dried I used jb weld plastic weld to fill in where the filler piece meets the console and sanded it down.                                                  

I will be using some texture paint on the lower section of the console to help blend it into the pattern.  I will post additional pictures when I get done painting it.  

Edited by 1973gts - 05-December-2019 at 5:41AM
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2019 at 12:30PM
you DO realize that the contour on the left side of the console IS  different because of the hump, right?
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2019 at 1:53PM
The contour is different on a floor shift car but mine is a column shift so no hump, I just wanted to fill in the missing section so there isn't a big gap on the drivers side.

Edited by 1973gts - 05-December-2019 at 3:22PM
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2019 at 3:40PM
still looking for those rear brackets, dave, i haven't totally forgot just haven't ran across them...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>