The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Member! Greetings from Michigan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member! Greetings from Michigan
    Posted: 06-July-2019 at 6:36AM
Hello! Smile

I am 18 and have recently purchased my first classic, a 1976 Ford Elite with the standard 351W in it. I joined hoping to gain some knowledge from "real people" and to overall learn more about the world of classic cars. I am also starting to work on my Elite, as it of course has some issues that need to be addressed. 

Conner Van Hine
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2019 at 11:56AM
Hello Conner, and welcome to the forum!!  We have a lot of information on this forum and lots of helpful people so, I am sure we can be a help to you with your Elite.   Feel free to start a project thread if you would like us to follow along.
I have upgraded you to a new member, so you have full access to the site.  Post some pics of your car when you get a chance.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2019 at 1:42PM
welcome conner!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2019 at 12:56AM
Welcome, Conner, nice to have younger people getting involved in this hobby.  You will find this site has alot to offer whether its advice, parts or just encouragement on your project.  There are alot of very helpful and informative people here that you can draw from, I know I have.  Like Vince said, we love pictures so when you get a chance please post some.  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2019 at 2:12AM
welcome conner!  what they said... and post a pic of your car when you can.  we would love to see it
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2019 at 3:04AM
Welcome. Enjoy your Elite. They are a nice ride  and fun to drive.
Steve M.
Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2019 at 12:14PM
Welcome. Thats awesome. It is nice to see some younger people getting involved in this hobby. Im 28 myself and love classic cars. Im also in Miichigan. Definatly put some pictures up when you get a chance
Conner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2019 at 4:02PM
Alright, here are a few pictures of the '76 Elite. Currently don't have any pictures of the engine compartment, but I will make sure to take some. Smile

Conner Van Hine
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2019 at 5:06PM
Conner, that looks like it's in extremely good condition from the pictures and should be a very enjoyable car to work on.  From the looks of it it doesn't appear to have suffered much from our Michigan winters.  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2019 at 12:43AM
WOW that is a clean looking car...thanks for sharing and welcome!
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2019 at 11:30AM
Looks to be in great shape, nice car! 
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2019 at 11:45AM
Nice ride.
Steve M.
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2019 at 3:56PM
Great car to start the Ford lovefest. Looking forward to your project thread.
Conner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2019 at 8:14AM
Looks like I'm experiencing a leak in the radiator, any tips for finding the leak? Also, any tips for fixing the leak? I would rather not have to replace the radiator, but will if I must!
Thanks, 
Conner Van Hine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2019 at 9:23AM
You are better off getting a new radiator. Under $200 for a heavy duty unit and you would regret using stop leak down the road. 

I have the new radiator that came with my car when I bought it. I beat on the dented core support and it leaks in one spot. I will eventually repair it but am unable to play with my car at the moment. If you were near me you could have it. Fixing is cheap, finding an old school radiator shop is priceless.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2019 at 4:05PM
i have a couple good factory radiators but you could get yours repaired at a shop for probably less than shipping would be...
 look over the radiator real good, you should see some discoloration where it's been leaking also check the bottom of the water pump behind the pulley it could be leaking from the weep hole?
 look for any drops of coolant hanging on a bolt a hose or metal you should see a discoloration trail from the leak, follow it up to the leak Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2019 at 6:38AM
I am agree with the others, take it to a good old fashioned rad shop to have it repaired.  They will be able to fix it (if possible) or at the very least recore the rad.  If you recore it, you can upgrade to a modern high efficiency core and more rows if you desire.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Conner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2019 at 2:31PM
I think I might just get a new radiator. The one it has is the original so replacing it is probably a good idea anyway. Thanks for the feedback guys! 

Conner Van Hine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2019 at 3:14PM
Rock Auto has heavy duty radiators for under $200 shipped.  You could always go with aluminum too.
Conner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2019 at 3:57AM
Hmm someone suggested that I try the radiator leak fluid that you can get. Anyone know if this works?

Thanks
Conner Van Hine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2019 at 4:09AM
The radiator may stop leaking. You are putting off the inevitable and may clog passages in the heads. If it were my car, no way I am putting stop leak in the cooling system. 
mean steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mean steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2019 at 3:11AM
Do not put mechanic in a can into your car unless you don't care about it. That stuff is ment for beaters and disposable cars. If you go cheaper, you go deeper. Pinching penny's cost u dollars. Do it right.
Bensport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2019 at 5:21AM
If it's just a pin hole type leak and money is tight you could pour a small can of black pepper in radiator and it will temporarily fix it until you can afford a new one.
Just an option to hold you over....had a 68 mustang back in the mid 80's I had to do that to until I could afford a new radiator....It's safer than stop a leak.
Ben

73 GTS Sport Roof
96 F350 7.3 Powerstroke/Chip
96 Bronco 5.8 Eddie B on 35's
95 Bronco 5.8 Eddie Bauer
06 Peterbilt 335
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2019 at 12:08PM
Hi Conner,

Welcome to the group! Regarding the radiator, other folks can chime in on this, I took mine to a trusted radiator shop to have it re-cored. The shop strongly recommended this over purchasing a new radiator, and the re-core was a bit more expensive. The recommendation is due to the fact that new radiators have cores that are made overseas and are not good quality. The shop I went to was able to source new cores made locally and good quality; to ensure that, with regularly driving the car and proper cooling system maintenance, I'd never have to re-core or replace the radiator ever again.

So I would go with this route if you have the option to, as well as the funds.

Regards,
Mike
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
Conner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2019 at 3:46AM
I appreciate the feedback guys Smile. I'll definitely be staying away from stop leak stuff. 
Conner Van Hine
Conner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2019 at 8:17AM
Hey guys

I joined the National Guard earlier this year and am leaving to Georgia for training tomorrow, not to be back until close to Christmas. Just wanted to say thanks for all of the advice that you've given, I really appreciate it! Already can't wait to break the Elite out and get some work done once I'm back! Many more things to be done so I'm hoping with your help I can do it. Can't thank you guys enough. Smile
Conner Van Hine
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2019 at 9:25AM
Best of luck in the National Guard. I did it after I got off of activity duty. Ended up retiring after 24 years. It went by too fast. No regrets, though.
Steve M.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2019 at 11:59AM
good luck and stay safe!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2019 at 2:17PM
Good luck with your training and will be looking forward to your project posts when you get back.  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2019 at 2:20PM
Be the best at whatever your mos might be. Check in and give updates if you want. Good stories are always a pleasure to read.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>