FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adjustable Restomod suspension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adjustable Restomod suspension
    Posted: 13-August-2019 at 3:00PM
yeah see what the alignment shop says if it has enough adjustment to get a proper alignment, and if it has a little extra room to move it further if needed Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Jbuss22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbuss22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2019 at 10:34AM
Thnx Much - 
JB
Jbuss22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbuss22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2019 at 10:34AM
Thanks for the tip and what you have  - have not heard of that/Aldan and will look into. Question has come up since my post - ALL my panel fitment is almost perfect - I go to moving the frame around much and I have an all new issue and not a chance I'd repaint a fender is something were to happen. I'd just unload it if i had to go thru that on 2 to 3 panels. I'm getting an alignment this week just so i can drive it as I'm ready to jump out of my skin to get it on the road. Going to see what issues i have with an alignment, knowing the frame has a minor tweak(1/4 to 1/2 pinch in passenger shock tower). 
JB
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2019 at 1:30PM
I like Greg's recommendation, especially since he'd done it to his car.  I have used Global West on another car, and my cousin used some of their stuff on his old Fox Mustang.  They were good to deal with and make nice parts.

Here is the page with the suspension parts for 66-71 Torino and Fairlanes:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2019 at 3:06AM
Number one is to get the frame straightened. It will help no matter what kind of suspension you have under it.
On my 71 429 GT I used Aldan American front coil overs with Global West adjustable upper and lower adjustable a arms.
I installed poly bushings everywhere there was a rubber bushing and a lot of other mods to the front end.
Its not hard to do just takes some time and the improved handling is well worth it.
Greg
Greg
Jbuss22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbuss22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2019 at 6:01PM
1971 GT
JB
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2019 at 4:24PM
IIRC his is a 71? so it is a unibody car... there should be several companies out there that have a suspension set up for that style. i used a heidts kit on my mustang which is similar to the early torinos
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2019 at 1:38PM
What year is your Torino? We need that so we  an help. Have the chassis checked out and IMO if the frame is bent, it needs to be straightened. Coil overs will give you adjustability in height and ride control. There are coil over setups for the earlier Torinos and some have retrofitted coil overs to 1972 and newer Torinos.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 04-August-2019 at 1:25PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Jbuss22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbuss22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2019 at 1:34PM
Question and advice 

My car, before my time, took a hit on driver the side. Measurements show it off to be a off a bit L to R and obvious issues at the shock tower as one side is well gapped, one side is poorly gaped.  Right now, has severe front end alignment issues and really can't drive it til I do the 2 following thing. 1) Going to take to a frame shop for evaluation and based on findings decide what to do. 2) have same frame shop align what i have so they can tweak as necessary. 

BUT, in the end of all of this too, I will also consider, whether they straighten something or not, putting on a restomod suspension that is adjustable to help possibly over some frame being off issues. And, maybe even avoid the frame part as the body panels lines and inner panel line ups aren't much to complain about at all.  

QUESTION: Who makes a great suspension system with Adjustable A arms. With either a limited set up to the whole package? 

Thnx all 
JB
 Post Reply Post Reply