The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

no spark; no lights on dash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no spark; no lights on dash
    Posted: 23-August-2019 at 2:01AM
I'm just getting started on my 73 Gran Torino and the first issue is getting her started.  She's been sitting for 10+ years.  I did the Mystery Oil in the plugs, cleaned gas tank, new battery, etc.  Finally, when I turn the key, I don't have any lights on the console.  The radio is after market and wired to work without the key.  With key on, the wipers do not work, the turn signals don't work.  To me, it seems like an ignition switch issue.  I tested the coil and it is within range (I even bought a new one to try).

So, how best to determine it is ignition switch and not something else?  I've ordered a repair shop manual but not sure it will be of much help troubleshooting this problem.  Fuses seem to be okay.  
rjewell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2019 at 8:07AM
Does anyone have a picture of the ignition switch from a 1973 Gran Torino?  I'm trying to order a replacement but seeing two different styles.  I'll take the column apart in the morning but was hoping to get the part ordered today.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2019 at 3:32PM
PM me your cell # and i can send you some pics... i have a good used one sitting here on my desk!! someone on FB wanted it then changed their mind Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2019 at 9:44AM
1st thing i'd check is the fusable link at the solenoid. if it's blown you'll have no interior power

do you have a test light and a volt meter?

if not get them asap, not much $
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-August-2019 at 1:03PM
Do you have power anywhere in the car?  If not, I'd also think the fusible link.  Rock is right, you need test light (at minimum) or a volt meter to find out where you do and don't have power.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
rjewell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2019 at 12:46PM
Hi all,

It appears the coil wires were reversed when the new coil was put on the vehicle.  There was a wire laying next to the coil that appears to trace back to the aftermarket RPM gauge.  I believe this is the resistor wire that should connect to the + terminal on the coil (at least I get an ALT light when it is connected and key is turned to run position).

I pulled the ignition switch, ran the continuity tests and found no accessory so I took it apart and cleaned the contacts; I now have continuity and now I have wipers and turn signals.  

However, there is still no spark from the coil lead.  I went ahead and replaced the rotor button, condenser and points but no change.

The fusible links look fine (no swelling or burnt areas.

What am I missing here?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2019 at 1:33PM
so you have power to most things now, but none to the coil?
turn the key to the on position and check for power at the positive side of the coil
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2019 at 1:40PM
do you have the factory tach dash? or standard dash cluster?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
rjewell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2019 at 1:44PM
I have power to the positive side of coil.  It has the standard dash cluster; the tach is an aftermarket.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2019 at 1:51PM
check for power in the on position at the switch, if it's good there then it's somewhere along the wire going out to the coil! if someone added a tach who knows what messed up wiring they did!!!???
 there should be a 4 flat wire connector for those engine wires near the wiper motor under the hood check there too IIRC the coil positive is green w/red stripe?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
green 72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2019 at 3:27PM
the resistor wire (power wire) goes to the pos. side of the coil. Take the other wires off the neg. side. Turn the key on and see if you have power on neg. side with no wires on it. If so your coil is good and your problem is probably in the points. The wire that goes back to the aftermarket tach could also be your problem (shorted to ground) causing no spark. If the coil is good just put the wire from the distributor on the neg side of the coil and see if you get spark then when you crank the engine over.

Dan                             1972 GTS Formal       
rjewell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2019 at 12:35AM
I have 8V going to the positive side of the coil (the red wire with green stripe).  When the key on, I have 12 V on the negative side of coil.  

As mentioned earlier, I replaced the rotor button, condenser and contact set (points) but no change.  

I'm not sure I know what you mean Green 72... the coil is new so it should be good.  Are you saying to measure voltage on negative side of coil while trying to start the engine?  
green 72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green 72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2019 at 4:39AM
leave the tack wire  unhooked. just have the power wire on the pos side and the neg side will only have the wire from the distributor on it.See if you have spark when trying to start. If not it is in your distributor

Dan                             1972 GTS Formal       
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2019 at 7:26AM
8v is correct for the factory resister wire for the stock coil. when you replaced the points, have you check the gap since you've cranked the engine? reason i ask is last year my buddy dave couldn't get his car to start, so he installed new points...no fire! so i had him recheck the gap he said it was off, so he readjusted it, no fire... so i told him to check the breaker plate assembly... opposite the vacuum advance pin... see if you can move the opposite side of the breaker plate if so watch the point gap if the plastic pivot is broke the plate will move and the gap will change drastically (should only rotate with the advance not any side to side movement!)Shocked it can happen on the old ford distributors seen it many times over the yearsConfused BTW his was bad.

just something to check!
also check all along the wire from the points to make sure it's not touching or grounded out before the coil Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
rjewell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2019 at 3:26AM
Here is an update.  After changing the points, I didn't set them properly.  After doing it correctly, I have spark and the motor will start with starting fluid.  I'll start a new post on the fuel lines... LOL...  I'm not getting fuel to the carb.  In fact, it's not pumping any fuel (fuel filter is new and I can blow air through it).

So, the spark issue is fixed.
Thanks to everyone for your responses and suggestions.  
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2019 at 4:09AM
Clap good! post away...we're on to your next issue....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply