The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member with 72 GTS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikee13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member with 72 GTS
    Posted: 06-September-2019 at 7:55AM
Hello everyone! My name is Michael and I'm happy that this forum exists. I just purchased a 72 GTS from Washington and had it shipped cross country to North Florida.  I unfortunately did not receive a lot of paperwork or history of the vehicle.  I purchased it from a muscle car dealer who said that they got it from a classic car collector from Idaho.  So far the car has exceeded my expectations.  It looks great and runs and drives very well. The car is an "H" code GTS fastback with 89K miles on it. I was told the original 351c 2V was replaced with a rebuilt 351c 4V with a Holley 4 barrel carb.  I'm still going thru the car looking for issues but the only items I found so far is that the temperature gauge in the dash is not working (all other gauges work) and there appears to be an oil leak from the rear differential. The factory AC also does not work. Once those items are taking care of, I would like to add dual exhaust.  I was thinking about flowmaster super 44's.  I want a deep muscle car rumble.  Any other recommendations on exhaust systems?  Also, if I can't fix the in dash temp gauge, are there any aftermarket triple mechanical gauges that you would recommend to put under the dash?  My car is black on black with a red/orange laser stripe, bench seat, auto transmission, power steering, with the 351c 4V and factory air. I will share pictures once I'm allowed to do so. Again, I'm glad to be part of this forum and I look forward to interacting with all of you in the future.

Michael Elias

72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2019 at 10:18AM
Welcome!!! You've come to the right place.  Can't wait to see some pics-Rick-
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2019 at 12:26PM
Welcome to the forum.  Post pictures when you can. We truly enjoy pictures. 

Steve M.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2019 at 1:08PM
welcome! yes pics Big smile looks like you've been upgraded so...
on the temp gauge... try grounding the sender wire to the block, turn on the key if it goes all the way up now, its a bad sending unit or the wrong one??? if that don't work then you'll need to trace the circuit for any bad connections, if that's all good then the gauge is bad, but someone should have one??? i do but it's from a 74 which i think is thicker?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2019 at 1:11PM
Welcome to the forum!  I upgraded you so you can post photos now.  Here's a link on how to upload photos if you need some help:

Sound sounds like you found a great car. When they upgraded the engine, did they just swap a 4bbl carb, or did they also put on the 4V heads?   John gave good advice on the temperature sensor. Mine went bad a few years ago.  Cheap and easy to fix.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2019 at 1:41PM
welcome and i also cannot wait to see some pics of this car

---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
mikee13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikee13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2019 at 4:05AM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the advice on the temp gauge.  This is a great question - When they upgraded the engine, did they just swap a 4bbl carb, or did they also put on the 4V heads? 
Based on how the engine sounds, it appears the previous owner added a bump stick and put on 4V heads in addition to the 4b carb. Can I tell by pulling off the valve covers?  I used to turn wrenches several years ago but I'm very rusty and trying to get back into it.  I appreciate any and all advice.

Enjoy the pictures!

Mike
mikee13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikee13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2019 at 4:30AM
mikee13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikee13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2019 at 4:32AM
mikee13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikee13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2019 at 4:34AM
mikee13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikee13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2019 at 4:35AM
mikee13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikee13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2019 at 4:35AM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2019 at 5:12AM
 you don't need to pull the valve covers, just look at the head at the upper corner of the valve cover you'll see a 2 or a 4 cast into the head Big smile

Edited by californiajohnny - 07-September-2019 at 6:34AM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2019 at 5:55AM
Wow! What a sharp car! Looks similar to Paul's car Lazarus.

This web page shows where the identifier is on the head if you want to see a picture. 

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2019 at 6:38AM
i'm pretty sure that's the car that phred bought that jason was trying to buy! it was here in washington....
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2019 at 2:34PM
Nice ride,
 If you ever make it to St. Petersburg, there is a place called Quaker Steak and Lube. The have a great cruise night. Its only about 6 hrs. from Jacksonville. I've only seen one other '72-'76 Gran Torino around here. 
 There used to be a few cruise nights up your way. I remember one off of Beach Blvd. Anyway, enjoy your ride.
Steve M.
ZCowher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZCowher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2019 at 2:47PM
sick ride. Welcome to the forum.
ZC
2016 F-150 xl 2.7 liter
73 Gran Torino Formal roof, Ten damn years, and its almost there.
mikee13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikee13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2019 at 5:27AM
I checked the heads and I see a 2 in the corner. Now I know...
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2019 at 6:14AM
Pretty sure 2V heads have better low end torque than 4V so it's all good. Heavy cars need torque to get them moving.
 Post Reply Post Reply