The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trac-Lok Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trac-Lok Rebuild
    Posted: 07-October-2019 at 12:39PM
I should have clarified when I said quick rebuild I mean new bearings and seals too. My pinion seal seeps a bit anyway. I just don't want to get into a new carrier or nodular case, gear swap etc.  I want to keep the cost reasonable, especially since I plan to replace the whole unit down the road.

Any recommendations on rebuild kits, and where to get clutches and steels? There are tons of kits, just not sure which is a good one. The steels and clutches seem to be harder to come by and I'd like to upgrade them from stock if I can.

I will talk to either the trans guy I used or the speed shop guy for their price on a rebuild. I think both will do the job. The speed shop guy would probably let me work with him.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2019 at 7:15AM

it's pretty straight forward, you need to remove the carrier from the 3rd member housing, remove the ring gear bolts and the case 1/2's will separate giving access to the clutches and steels. if you're pulling it out & down you'll probably want to go through the whole thing rather than 1/2 azz it by re-using the old bearings and not replacing the pinion seal? this is where it might be worthwhile to drop it off to your trans guy and let him bust it out, a little experience goes a long way
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2019 at 6:09AM
Anyone ever rebuild a 9" Trac-Lok before?  Mine seems to be on it's way out.  The left rear is barely leaving a track anymore, and few times, only seem to be getting the right rear to spin.  One wheel burnouts suck.

Anyone have directions to a good how-to?  What about recommendations on parts?  I am assuming I can upgrade the clutch packs to something better than stock.  I am just looking to do a quick rebuild at this point, not change the entire third member or gearing.  In the long term I may swap out the gears to something more aggressive, a nodular case and a gear vendors overdrive.  But for now the gearing I have is okay.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply