The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

explain this

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: explain this
    Posted: 22-December-2008 at 1:53PM
OK, I might not be the smartest man on this planet but,
how does a 72 Sport with many admitted faults, that is not "ORIGINAL"(paint and other things have been redone), with no historical stories(not a movie car or owned by anyone famous), have 9 bids taking it to the $10,000 mark. I have seen BETTER survivor and restored cars go for less than HALF this current bid. The other thing that boggles the mind is the buy it now price...$30,000!!! WTF? PLEASE tell me this is not one of our members! This has to be someone who THINKS our Torino is worth ALOT more than it really is! Hell I don't think Ralph's will bring $30k when it is done. BUT Ralph's is the one I would think is most likely to bring that kind of money, OR one of the original Clint Eastwood driven cars from the movie IF the movie does well!

Just my .02 cents.
Check it out for yourself

And submitted for points of reference  

or

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
castillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2008 at 5:50PM

Your right.. how can a  H code car be so high(and a reserve still not hit).. Lets first look at the car in general..From first glances she appears very straight and solid.. Good paint and lines and I would say Excellent photos.. The description  appears to be a very upfront and legit..The car also appears to have very little RUST..Although she doesn't seem to have any of the desirable options she does have a great+ working in her favor..RED exterior w/ white interior..The car is also form the south AND there is a movie out with it  RIGHT NOW..I also looked at your comparisons and they both lack 1 thing..Neither is a sports roof.. Its hard to understand what is wanted and what is just bought.. I would add that the 2 which sold(sorry, only 1 sold) are under valued.. While I believe the red 72 is slightly above her true value, yet not far considering the shape..Its one of those things where an explaination is not the only answer..You can't put a price on taste or wants..This also explains how gas lines can go for 282.00 bucks.. One more thing.. Ebay reaches the world: so thats a big plus no matter what the situation..Lets keep an eye on her.. The winning bidder has no feedback.. Could be something fishy going on..We'll see if the transaction leads to mutual feedback..

rab1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rab1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2008 at 12:10PM
HI  LET ME SAY FIRST SINCE MINE IS NOT RESTORED I WILL TAKE 25,000 FOR IT SINCE IT IS A Q CAR WITH LOCKING REAR WITH 3.25 RATIO POWER  FRONT SEAT RALLYE PACK WITH TRIP  FACTORY  A/C POWER FRONT BRAKES  AND THE ORGINALL 351 C CJ FACTORY AM/FM STILL HAS THE HOOD AND TRUNK LIGHTS WITH ONLY AROUND 71,000 MILES ON IT AND AM THE FOURTH OWNER AS WELL
72grantorinonut
Allen
castillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2008 at 12:25PM
A 30,000 reserve will be high.. Like I said we'll keep an eye on her..
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2008 at 5:21PM
My thoughts are mixed.
Clean car, worth the money? Hell if I know.
When I see clones of GM and Ma Mopar fetching the money they do, I give.

Anyways, before the filming of Gran Torino, I saw two seperate Yellow 1972 GTS go for $30k plus. There was also the fully restored 1972 Montego GT that was getting north of $24k but I don't think it sold. I think that car was valued at $35k by an appraisal because it was a documented factory prototype Mercury Montego GT Ram Air Cyclone Spoiler package...one of those freak 1-of-1 cars that should not technically exist.

Personally, there is also the 1972 GTS by me sitting in a car lot with the 514, 5 speed, and one hellava black paint job.
I forget, but I think they are asking $35k for it.

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Anyways, watch the BJ auction coming up in January.
One of us is going to have his '73 GTS in the big show. Should be interesting.

Andy
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2008 at 6:21AM
That GTS belongs to one of the guys on the TorinoCobra forum.
Nice guy, interesting history on the car.

"I got this email from him on the history of the car. Wow.... I told him if I ever do sell it or think about it, he'll be the first contact. I know I can't change it any. I'm just a caretaker now. It was worth listing on ebay just to make contact with him.

"I loved the 72s when they first came out, especially the Sports with Lasers. In 1974, I worked part time for a local grocery store and every Friday afternoon this Torino would come to our store to get grocerys. At that time, we would take the groceries out to the car with the owners and I would always try to get this ladys groceries as I wanted to put them in her car. This was the only red with lasers 72 in this town and I loved it. Finally, after working there for 3 years, I had told this lady probably 20 times I wanted to buy her car one day. Any how, years passed, graduate, college, marriage, etc. I am driving through town one morning on my way to where I worked and saw the Torino again. This was in 1990. I decided then I was going to follow(stalk) her to where she lived. I did and came back that weekend and talked to her and her husband and believe or not, she remembered me and me nagging her. At this time, they were probably in their late sixties or early seventies! She told me she didn't want to sell her "baby" but took my number just in case. About a year later, I get her phone call out of the blue and she will sell it. I assured her it was in good hands and showed her what I wanted to do with it. I had pics of other Torinos I had fixed up and told her thats what I was going to do with it. Anyways, about 8 months later I drove the car back out there to show them and she actually cried!

This couple was not the original owners. The car was bought new out of Chattanooga and in 1973, the original owner traded it in and this couple was down there visiting a relative, saw it on the lot, and brought it home. The car originally had the pancake hubcaps with trim rings. As you know, it also did not have the vinyl top. When I got the car, I wanted to make the exact car that is in the 72 Gran Torino dealership brochure, if you have seen it. That car had a white interior, black top, red with lasers, magnum 500s and thats what I wanted to make. It already had the white interior even though it was bench seat and column auto. The car had absolutely no rust, however it had dents in the one of the qtrs as well as that door where her husband had backed his houseboat accidently into it years before. I was there when they worked those out and after blocksanding many times, they did a masterfull job of getting them back to right. "

Tony
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2008 at 3:15PM
As with any car,its worth what someone is willing to pay for it.That 72 is a little steep,the paint had better be perfect for 30k.I think it ended around 14k.Which is about what I think its worth,somewhere in mid teens.Barret/jackson is coming in 2 weeks,but I doubt you'll see any 72-up torino's.I scanned there whole list last year and just 71 and earlier torinos.There was 1 mid 70's ranchero on there,that was it.My goal was to be in vegas by now and go to Barrett for the week in my 76 maybe even put it on the block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Just kidding.I am relly curious though what it could/would bring.It would have to go through on the friday primetime at least and talk to the guy davis who's in charge of consignment and make sure they go through the whole starsky story,1 of 1000,But I'm bummed I'm going to miss it.I think my car could fetch a very good price there,becuase it's a rare car and you just don't see these cars at the big auctions.I know we all think are cars are worth a bunch,but hey the blood,sweat and cursing has to account for a lot.Wink
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2009 at 8:30AM
Actually, there is going to be a 1973 GTS in the big show, over on the Torino forum on FordMuscle...
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2009 at 9:33AM
Oh yeah,like to see what that brings.I'll be following it.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2009 at 7:30AM
Wow, that car is not the Barrett-Jackson regular we think about.
It was a frame ON resto!
It was born a Q with 4 speed.
But now it has all these aftermarket hop ups.
the interior WAS biege and is now Black?
Shaker hood and black hood stripes?

Hell just say it is a HOT ROD that has been reworked to the owners liking!
It will cost more to bring it back to original and Q status than it is worth.

Will be interesting to see what it brings and who buys it.
I would like the follow on interview with the buyer and find out WHY he bought it and why he paid that much for it?
Just interested to see if a True Ford or Torino guy actually knows what he is buying/getting or did it go to a guy who just like the car and thought... hey nice looking hot rod with some goodies!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2009 at 8:35AM
I know I wouldn't mind that car!Big%20smile
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2009 at 10:45AM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

Wow, that car is not the Barrett-Jackson regular we think about.
It was a frame ON resto!
It was born a Q with 4 speed.
But now it has all these aftermarket hop ups.
the interior WAS biege and is now Black?
Shaker hood and black hood stripes?

Hell just say it is a HOT ROD that has been reworked to the owners liking!
It will cost more to bring it back to original and Q status than it is worth.

Will be interesting to see what it brings and who buys it.
I would like the follow on interview with the buyer and find out WHY he bought it and why he paid that much for it?
Just interested to see if a True Ford or Torino guy actually knows what he is buying/getting or did it go to a guy who just like the car and thought... hey nice looking hot rod with some goodies!

Well, I was there last year (at Scottsdale) for a few days, and I have to tell you, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason as to why some cars bring what they do.  Sure, some cars are obvious (Hemi 'Cuda, 427 'vette, Shelby Mustang), but others simply defy logic- both ways- high and low. 
If there are 2 people who fall in love with one car, and they have the funds, it can be ridiculous. On the other hand, if there are a couple of cars that are close, and some not-so dedicated bidders, some cars go for well under what they should bring (bid on the last day, you can get some real bargains), and these are listed no reserve.  Risky with the economy what it is.... 
Also, Friday and Saturday are prime show-off days, and the high rollers who don't care about market value all show up for those days...it's crazy, like a giant side-show!  So many pristine cars, no matter what you are into, there is nearly always one of these at the auction.  Usually in perfect condition. 
With regards to the auction itself, ebay is the little version of this.  Same general rules apply when it comes to 2 bidders falling in love with 1 car.  Major differences, though: 
-You cannot personnaly inspect a car on ebay unless you can fly on short notice;
-It is not televised and the bidders are anonymous (no egos).
Both of these factors should generally have a lowering effect on bids, but with ebay you can set an opening bid price and a reserve- 2 things that can save the seller ALOT of pain...
Just my 2 cents.....
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
castillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2009 at 11:50AM
AMEN..
If anybody can figure this market out I will buy him a drink..or 2 or 3..
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2009 at 2:22PM
Its also the heat of the moment at barrett,bright lights,live tv,lots of people,auctioneer blaring off numbers.It's like the perfect storm if 2 bidders lock horns.People will buy anything if they got the dough.I'm curious as to the values with the recent economy.Last year the hemi cars nosedived from the previous year,almost half of what they brought in 2007.Shelbys and other big block fords ruled last year.I went through the entire car list and nothing really jumped out at me that looked that out of the ordinary.Lots of GTO'S,a couple 68,69 torinos,a couple 70-71 torino's.There's 2 cars I think will bring big money,there both 69 camaro's,copo car and maybe a motion car.Those will bring big bucks.
 Post Reply Post Reply