The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help! Bucket seats from Mustang=Torino?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help! Bucket seats from Mustang=Torino?
    Posted: 25-December-2008 at 2:57PM

If anyone who can give me good, fast advice on this I would greatly appreciate it!!!

I have a '73 Gran Torino Sport and need a set of buckets.  I was told that it is thought that the '71-'73 Mustang buckets are "the same thing", but they were "not sure".
Are they?  Or should I ask-- are the frames and the seat rails the same?  I know I can swap the rails.....I just don't want to buy something that is wrong, get the upholstry kit, and find out I wasted my time and money!
Any help would be really, really appreciated!!!!
Frustrated in NH,
Chris
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2008 at 4:13AM
I have some bucket seats that will bolt into that car.... as well as a console and shifter.

And I'm fairly local..

Big%20smile
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2008 at 7:47AM
I am interested.  Can you email me your contact information?
My email address is:

Thanks!
Chris
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2008 at 1:38PM
By the way, I was told by a guy at Dearborn Classics that the frames of the 72-73 Torino are unique and have no swap outs. Cry 
Kind of find that hard to believe,but they were the only ones that weren't trying to sell me a set...still looking

Chris
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2008 at 1:42PM
The mustang seats won't fit.The track pattern is narrower,you'd have to do what I did and make custom mounts,dearborn was correct.I would think all 72-79 are same,did you ask him that?
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2008 at 2:07PM

Yes I did because that's what I thought.  And he said that there is no swap out, not even a '73 Montego, etc.  Just '72-3 Buckets from a Torino.  AND '72-3 Ranchero.

Did you use the '71-3 Mustang seats?  I am not afraid of custom mounts, I just want the seat covers and seats to look/feel/fit right...

Don't know how much this guy knew...as for me, nearly all my older cars were Mustangs, so this is new knowledge for me, different but familiar at the same time! LOL

Edited by crispy23c - 26-December-2008 at 2:14PM
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2008 at 3:54PM
I'm using 1998 cobra leather seats,very nice and comfy,power drivers seat with lumbar,very choice.Ford never changed the mustang seat track width.I had 85 gt buckets in my 67 stang and they bolted right in by swapping the 67 tracks to the 85 seats,a direct bolt on swap.I'm slightly unclear on the combo you want,do you want to use 71-73 mustang seats with torino seat covers or recover the mustang seats in a mustang seat cover pattern?I know the 72-73 torino seats look a bit bulkier than a mustang seat of same year,they are thinner,not sure that would work.If I were you I might consider using a 71-73 bucket seats with the correct mustang seat covers,maybe the comfortweave style,I like that design best and then have an upolstery shop match the pattern to rear seat.The mustang rear seat cover is to small for the larger torino rear seat.I don't think you can crossbreed the seat and cover for 2 different cars,it may be an expensive experiment.What we did for the seat tracks is use 1/8" steel strips about 1 1/2" wide and weld them to floor with new grade 8 3/8 bolts welded to them.If you go back a few pages in my resto you can probably see them before carpet went in.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2008 at 3:58PM
Page 40 in my resto.
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2008 at 12:20AM
Thanks for the advice!
When I was originally looking for this Torino, I thought about putting aftermarket buckets in, but now I think it would spoil the look, but that's personal taste...
I was actually looking for the correct seat frames (ie: '72-3 Torino buckets, or if anything else was close enough to the same that you could not tell after a re-foam and cover).
I had tossed around putting something more modern in, like the '98 Cobra seats, but I will try for original style first.  I can be patient. 
Sometimes  LOL
I think I will have a look at your thread, though.  Pics can be very convincing.....

castillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2008 at 4:29AM
Man this is news to me..I had heard for years guys using the torino in mustangs/ mustang in torinos with no probleme.. I thought for sure the 72-73 bucket seats were the same as the  71-73 mustangs.. Maybe its a swap for 70-71 torinos..If you could see them side by side they look identical..I knew the 74 and up were styled differantly..I think the swap is what is shared between the earlier years..In a way it does make since..The 1 year only 72 and 73's would have unique parts.. If you use real 72-73 torino seats please post pics and take some measurements so the forum can see.. Anyway keep us informed..
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2008 at 12:29PM

Absolutely!

Basically, what it boils down to, is that I want something I can work original-style  replacement seat covers onto without resorting to a group of MIT scientists re-engineering the frame LOL

If all else fails--or lose my patience/change my mind-- I will go the way Ralph did.  Looks outstanding (like the rest of the car).  Thanks for all the help, guys.  It's really appreciated.  I have to get around to posting pics of 'the speckled beast' (that's what I call it for now).  Of course, with the weather in NH for the last 2 weeks, it has sat under a cover pretty much since I bought it.  I did manage to sneak in an electronc ignition & tune up, plugs, carb adjust, strip out the interior in between the storms and power outages. Confused
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2008 at 1:18PM

72/73 torino AND montego buckets are the same.  seat cover pattern is different but the seats themselves are the same.  AFTER 1973 they went to a short backrest style bucket seat.  72/73 are different than mustang and also different from 70/71 torino.  70/71 torino is also different from mustang.  and torino bucket seat tracks interchange from 72 - 76.  this even includes the 50/50 split bench with center armrests and bucket seat type seat backs.  this is also the same tracks in 74-79 cougar, 77-79 t-bird and 77-79 ltd II with that style seat.

Mike

Edited by mcford - 27-December-2008 at 1:22PM
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2008 at 3:48PM
Yeah get some pics up of your ride,pics,pics,pics,we want pics!I hear you it s been snow,rain or ice mix down here in lower n.y.Probably all snow up there in NH.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2008 at 10:32AM
<- has bolt in buckets (short with the headrest) from a 78 Cougar for sale for VERY cheap Wink
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2009 at 4:29AM

Paul- I sent you an email on Sunday- I want the other stuff you have...let me know how you want to do this.  Thanks!

Mike, thanks for the valuable Torino bucket info, it really helps me in my search for the correct frames...

Chris

Post Reply Post Reply