The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Here it is..my '73 GTS Fastback!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Here it is..my '73 GTS Fastback!
    Posted: 29-December-2008 at 11:15PM
Well, she's not (yet) the prettiest gal on the block, but it's a solid, originally southern car.  All original sheetmetal except hood and 1 door.  Shows just north of 70k on the odometer. I call it "the speckled beast".
This is an original bucket, floor shift auto, 351 CJ car.  Has the original drivetrain (mild rebuild, stock).  Factory air (missing), AM/FM, full guages.  Originally black on black (no paint code, interesting), now painted some kind of tractor black (not kidding), which was done to keep the body from rusting.  Tore the interior out the 2nd day I had it...floors are pretty solid with some surface rust.  This will be cleaned and beautified in the next week or two.
I am the 4th owner...rust you see in the engine bay is very light surface rust, bay is extremely straight and should come out great...
Got this car and a donor GTS fastback that I stripped the hell out of (got factory rear glass defrost!).
Hoping to have it done by summer, if I can locate correct buckets! LOL
Anyway, enjoy!  I am looking forward to making this one look great (mild custom) and go faster.
Chris

Edited by crispy23c - 29-December-2008 at 11:17PM
GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2008 at 5:18AM
Your 73 looks about the same shape as mine when I started. I made the mistake of taking my car apart and it stayed that way for 10 years. Keep driving your car while you gather parts, you'll enjoy your cars restoration a lot more.      
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2008 at 11:59AM
Thanks for the advice.  I have a few more things to do to make it more roadworthy, and with winter in NH, I got a little time.  Come spring, I want to get it out on the road and start sorting it out mechanically for the driving characteristics I like.  I really do intend to get this finished by the summer.  If I don't, you can tell me you told me so!
Chris
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2008 at 2:33PM
Nice to see some pics,looks like a solid car to start with.I'd definitely keep it black when it comes time to repaint,just one of my top 3 colors!!!Keep us posted of your progress in the coming months.
k9one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k9one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2008 at 3:09AM
You have a really good solid starting point. The car looks nice. Good luck on getting it to were you want it.

Brad
1972 GTS Fastback Custom
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2009 at 2:59AM
paint code is blank because black wasnt a standardcolor.  it was a special ordercolor on 73 torino's as well as 72's.  that is also the reason for the chrome mirror, as the sport mirrors were painted on a seperate line and not with the rest of the car. 
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2009 at 11:22AM

Thanks for the info, mcford!

I want to mildly customize it, but nothing that cannot be undone....blacked out bumpers (can't decide on the bumpreettes yet), maybe grill, partially blacked out headlight trim, and I am leaning towards Torque Thrust II, polished 15x8 all around 
This is roughly what I want it to look like when I am done, but add a Mach 1 scoop to the hood:

Edited by crispy23c - 01-January-2009 at 11:24AM
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2009 at 12:05PM
Here is the front, can't decide on the bumperettes yet, and needs that scoop:

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2009 at 10:44PM
Started the heater core yesterday, still waiting for my shop manuals but I remembered (most) of the details from my Mustangs... 
By later last night I figured out that the blower motor has to come out first.  D'oh!  That's okay, I need to put in a new radiator today anyway, so I have some stuff to do. 
Problem is, I am very tall, so getting under that dash takes me some time! I feel like a contortionist under there! LOL  At least when I am done I will have heat!

GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2009 at 4:11AM
Originally posted by crispy23c crispy23c wrote:

Here is the front, can't decide on the bumperettes yet, and needs that scoop:

If you paint to much of your chrome your Torino will look more like a 74 Mustang Ghia II
Not that the Ghia isn't cool, its kinda ugly in my opinion.

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2009 at 8:33AM
Funny you said that, when I first did this rendering up I squinted at this and said: "74 mach1"...hmmmmmmm

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2009 at 9:28AM
Heat is a plus,I'm tall also I would've took out the pass seat!Does your car have all the side mouldings?The latest pics show it with them and the earlier pics don't.I'd do it all black with no side chrome except for the wheel lip mouldings,all the other stock trim and chrome bumpers,that would be hot!!
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2009 at 11:55AM
Ahhh, another tall guy cramming himself into the footwells of a Torino!  Nice Idea about pulling the seat, but I use the bench as a butt rest and jam my torso underneath the dash.  Not the most comfy, but it works LOL
The newer pics are just of a car for sale that I "enhanced" to look black.  I do have the side moulding, and most of it is pretty good, but I was leaning towards leaving it off and just using the wheel mouldings.  2 of these are nice and 2 need help, I have got to figure out who can straighten them out (small dents), because I am smart enough to know it ain't me!

I was thinking of polished Torque Thrust IIs or magnums for the wheels, 15x8 with a 4" offset all around, drop it in the front & rear (maybe later).  The chrome....I can't decide for sure.  But I got time and I like to render!

I did not end up getting it out today, I have 2 boys who really wanted to go sledding on the last day before they return to school after Xmas vacation.  I did manage to remove the dash (for R&R), pull out the blower motor, and loosen all of the bolts holding the HVAC unit except (I think) a couple of them.  Can't seem to find the damn things, no matter where I look! 

Luckily I have the luxury of time, so I can get to it when I can, I am just (by nature) an impatient person....

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2009 at 2:59PM
Ah, I recall my youth under the dash of the Family 1976 Ford Elite, I'm 6'2", and I used to in my teen years simply sit on the car seat feet in the air, back on the bottom cushion {sort of anyways} and more or less laying part way on the floor.

I find it's a hell of a lot easier to get under the dash when the seats are unbolted and not in the car. Wink

As far as the heater core thing, watch it, there are some 3/8" headed bolts on the inside of the engine compartment you are goinh yo have to remove.
One is under the housing in the engine compartment, but on the underside out if site.
Down by the passenger side valve cover.

Trust me, its a bit of a paint in the butt at times.

When you get the case out of the car, make sure you have capped the old lines. I spilled a bunch of antifreeze in one of my Elites one time, harder than heck to get that smell out for a while.

Andy
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2009 at 3:16PM
Oh, here ya go for hvac instructions.

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2009 at 3:10PM
Whoa, is that LOVE or what?!?
You DA MAN!!!!!
I was thinking of looking in the engine compartment, but what with work and all I did not have the time.  And then, there is a Cobrajetthingy in the engine bay blocking my access.  It makes lots of noise when you turn this "key" inside the driver's compartment! LOL
Hey, by the way, I got some great news, I located a set of buckets and console mounting hardware locally.  Oh, YEAH!
Now all I got to do is get the damn heater housing out, R&R it, slap it back in and I am out of the stone age!
Thanks for the scan, Eliteman!  MUCH appreciated!

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2009 at 3:27PM
Oh, wait!  Looks like they are both under there?  You said one was behind the valve cover, looks like- from the drawing- 2 are down there?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2009 at 5:49AM
Chris-
There is one bolt, down low out of site from up top; it is more or less right in line with the valve cover from a 351c.

There are two more on the top half of the case in the engine compartment, but I don't think those have to be removed to take out the heater box assembly.

crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2009 at 12:02PM
Okay, gotcha!  Thanks again....by the way, my shop manuals just showed up this afternoon (drool) along with a few other goodies, so I won't have to pester anyone about the more common knowledge.  I really appreciate all the help, though.
Heat, here we come! LOL

JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2009 at 4:15PM
Cool car!  IMHO, a little chrome on the black car is better than body color bumpers.. 

Can't wait to see the progress!

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
SPLUHAR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SPLUHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2009 at 1:27AM

I like the way this bumper looks:

and less weight where you least need it.
1976 ELITE, 71 429 w/cam, quadrajet, 4 wheel Mark V disc brakes, 3.25 trac lok, gutted & 12.9'd Mustang steering box
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2009 at 9:56AM
Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
Torinogts73c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Torinogts73c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2009 at 9:58AM

This how I fixed my bumper, it was a little easier than the way the other one was done.

Gary 73 Gran Torino Sport 351CJ,17 Mustang Ecoboost,15 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Ranger parts hauler

"Never complain Never explain" Henry Ford
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2009 at 9:40PM
Well that looks sweet.  After all the consideration, I think I am going to end up with the original chrome look- with the bumperettes and all. 
I Just can't get away from that.....I think I found a NOS rear bumper (working on getting that today/tomorrow)...now I have to find a GOOD place in the northeast (MA/NH/VT/ME/CT/RI) that can chrome the front bumper and do a NICE job...not as easy as it sounds, but I got time.  If anyone knows for sure of a good place that does not take 8-10 months let me know.
And now that I am back from my business trip, I got to get back to replacing my heater core, radiator, hoses and change my oil & time it. 
I just need the time to do it! Confused

mitchdublin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchdublin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2009 at 12:29AM
Body looks good, I would go with black also. How was the interior, door panels. Can you save them. Starsky76 is right, while i was working on my 76 and getting the odd spin out, it seemed easier than the last few months with everything stripped. Once i took out the seats and steering wheel, it would be too much trouble to go out for an hour. Good luck with it.
Mitch
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2009 at 12:45PM
Thanks, Mitch!  I left the bench seat in for driving, but I gutted the whole interior, pretty much.  Door panels are actually good.  There are speaker holes cut in them, but they are in the exact spot as factory, and I scarfed up some factory speaker grills, so I am good.
The parts GTS car had some REALLY NICE interior bits, so I gutted that one, too.  I actually have another spare door panel (it's junk), so I now have (5) Door panels and (2) consoles sitting in my house.
Don't ask LOL   My wife, god love her, understands.....am I lucky or what?!?!?  Well, so far, unless her patience runs out, then I go for a permnanent nap in the pond!
Just kidding, she actually likes to help out!  No, she doesn't have any sisters LOL
Parts are being cleaned/refinished/labelled when ever I get the chance, for later re-assembly, but the car will keep the bench seat so I can tool around if I feel the need...
It would be too easy to not drive it if the seat came out, and (drum roll....) I located a pair of original buckets.
Oh, these are not nice looking.  Not nice at all.  In fact, they have moss -yes, moss, that green plant stuff- growing on the white vinyl.  About 1" thick.  But they are solid, and the frames & rails look good.  I just have to pick them up in the next week or 2 and scrape off the plant growth and begin the bucket seat resto.  Then, the bench comes out and the correct, original buckets go in!  Eventually...
Maybe I will call the car "swamp thing"!  Adrienne Barbeau, where are you now???

dannys73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannys73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2009 at 4:10PM
I have been out of the market for a while but bumper rechromers should be pretty plentiful in the NE.  If you have a friend with a bodyshop they can get you in touch with a bumper repair place.  Or you can just look in yellow pages in Automotive section for bumper repair or body parts sales.  Typically, when I was employed with Keystone Automotive, we could have bumpers rechromed in about 2-4 weeks for our customers...sometimes sooner.  You will want to make sure that the shop can triple chrome for show quality.  Costs a little more but is stronger and shinier.  I hope this helps.
1973 GTS Q Code Cobrajet w/ 4 Speed
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2009 at 12:22PM
Thanks.  I have heard some horror stories about some chroming places (lost items, overcharged credit cards, grinder marks, etc.).  I know 2 people in the body repair biz, I have to ask them, figured I would throw it out there...triple plate is definitely the plan.

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2009 at 3:45PM
I had mine  done on long island.I gave them to resto trim who did some of my trim and they sub them out to the chrome place nearby.I paid $325 per bumper,$65 per guard.Took about 6-8 weeks.My brother had his done by a place in hartford for his 68 firebird,but was more money,over$400 per bumper and it took longer,like 3 months.
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2009 at 5:46AM
I bought a rechromed rear bumper for my '72 GTS from Bumper Boyz when they were at the Charlotte Auto Fair last spring. If I remember right it was $360 plus my old bumper for a core. They're in Los Angeles but they travel to shows all over the US and will bring a bumper for your application with them if they have one. Their schedule is posted on their website http://www.bumperboyz.com/ and shows some stops on the east coast. You have to contact them for a price list. I never thought to ask if they did triple chrome, but mine looks really nice with no flaws.

Stan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>