The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newby!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newby!
    Posted: 02-January-2020 at 10:54AM
Hello all!

I am a new member of the forum, and just wanted to "meet" you all.   I am the extremely proud owner of a 1972 Gran Torino Sport, with a 429 and C6 auto.  It looks very much like an original Ford add I saw in a magazine as a kid.  The car is light blue with a white vinyl top, dark blue interior.  I am currently working on the suspension, and adding CVPI Springs, Little Shop A-arms & Strut Rod Isolators, Bilstein shocks, and ADDCo sway bars.  Love the car, but want to make it handle a little better to run up in the mountains....  A lot of the work I have done on the car has come from posts on this forum.  So, I decided to pull the plug and join up!

I purchased the car from a family friend, who swore he would NEVER sell it!  I tried for 15 years to get it from him, always to hear his steady and stern reply.  He kept the car garaged, under multiple layers of blankets.  To my surprise, I received a call from him some years back, and he wanted to know if I was still interested in the Torino?  I jumped at the chance, and have never looked back! I love the look of the car, and the fact there are not a dozen of them running around the streets. 

I look forward to the continued information from the forums, and will post pictures in the future of my build.

Thanks,

Jon
Jon
1972 Gran Torino Sport
429 w/C6

If it is meant to be,
It is up to me!

72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2020 at 1:55PM
welcome Jon. Great story.  Glad you got it. We'd love to see many many pics of this rare torino!!!! Please post as soon as you can. -Rick- 
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2020 at 2:45PM
welcome and yes its nice to be the only Torino at a cruise or at the very least the only 72-76 torino if one of the older torinos show up.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2020 at 3:44PM
welcome! yes pics please Big smile where in calif. are you?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2020 at 1:50AM
welcome jon.  glad to have you, and we always love pictures!
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2020 at 4:50AM
Welcome Jon!  Glad you took the plunge and signed up to the forum.  The 429 cars are pretty rare, the least common engine in 1972.  You should get a Marti report if you haven't yet.  That suspension combo you have is pretty much what I run on my car.  It's a great setup and will make these big cars handle well.  Not many others have run the strutrod isolators, but I found those made a big different in keeping the front end tight.

I have upgraded you to a full member, so you can post pics.  We'd love to see the car, or better yet start a project thread so we can follow the build.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Old Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2020 at 7:17AM
Thanks to you all for the welcoming posts!

Californiajohnny-  I live in SoCal, about an hour north of San Diego.

72FordGTS-  I have followed several of suspension threads on this site,  and most of the modifications I am doing have been sourced from here.  Wink  I look forward to many more !

Mr.Smog-  I am with you. I go to several local car shows here, and hardly ever see a Gran Torino in the mix.  Can't wait to have my car on the road, and enter it in some of the shows!

Thank you all again!  Here is a picture of the car before I put it up on the stands for the suspension work.

I appreciate you!

Jon
Jon
1972 Gran Torino Sport
429 w/C6

If it is meant to be,
It is up to me!

Old Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2020 at 7:22AM
I almost forgot....  Here is a picture of the Ford Add I remember seeing as a kid. I am planning on keeping the car a clean "Resto-mod" vehicle.  Just enough upgrades to make it fun to go out and play in!

Thanks!
Jon
1972 Gran Torino Sport
429 w/C6

If it is meant to be,
It is up to me!

legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2020 at 9:45AM
beautiful car, jon.  
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2020 at 11:06AM
 laser stripes are fine if your going original, but i like yours the way it is Big smile
 i'm originally from littlerock near palmdale, but now i live up in washington (bigfoot countryLOL)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2020 at 11:09AM
That is a really CLEAN looking car and I relly like those wheels, what kind are they? 
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Old Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2020 at 12:14PM
Gents,

Thanks for all the positive comments on my "Other Woman", as my wife likes to call her Big smile !!!
I am certainly looking forward to putting all of the parts on the Torino.

John/Californiajohnny-  I know the area well!  I used to own some acreage up in Adelanto, and ran off-road toys up there in my youth...  I am kinda leaning towards the lazer stripes for the car, but am still on the fence.  I like the clean lines the way it sits now as well.

Dave/1973gts-  Those are Boss 338 Wheels with the polished beads.  I am running 18" rims all around, as I wanted to leave room for bigger brakes in the future.  Nice fit with a 295/45/18 tucked in the rear wheel well!

As I become more familiar with the forum, I'll get off my rear end and get a build thread going.

Thanks again for all the positives!

Old Guy Jon
Jon
1972 Gran Torino Sport
429 w/C6

If it is meant to be,
It is up to me!

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2020 at 12:58PM
Looks awesome, beautiful Torino! 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2020 at 2:20PM
off road toys! now that I DO miss about the desert in cali Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72 RancheroGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RancheroGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2020 at 2:28PM
Jon,

Really nice Torino.  I agree that it’s nice to be the only one of your kind at a show.  I don’t understand why Torinos/Rancheros are so rare, to me they are at least as nice as the Chevelles/El Caminos of the time.  Looking forward to more pics.
Craig
72 Ranchero GT (Clone)
“Confidence is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation”
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2020 at 6:21AM
That blue was what mine originally wore. With laser stripes and magnums. Need more pics of interior and engine. 
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2020 at 9:39AM
Nice Gran Torino. Very unique.
Steve M.
texanrebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2020 at 10:40PM
Beautiful car! Love that shade of blue as well...you have joined the BEST car forum for these machines, I learn something all the time on here as these folks are a wealth of knowledge & incredibly helpful.
Totally relate to "the other woman" reference...mine is referred to as "The Mistress"

1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2020 at 2:05AM
nice looking car looks very clean. And texanrebel is right, this is the best forum around for these cars. Lots of good information on hereThumbs Up
Conner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2020 at 5:28AM
Wow, beautiful car!
Conner Van Hine
 Post Reply Post Reply