The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

78 LTD II owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 78 LTD II owner
    Posted: 04-January-2020 at 5:41AM
I'm just now joining this forum, own a 78 LTDII with sports touring package (blue). It was ordered by my dad from Eddie Johnson Ford in Pisgah, Iowa. I was born in '81 but still remember riding in the car as kids, sitting in the back seat on the way to Omaha to go shopping, and mom would hand the CB back to us and we'd pretend to talk on it. There is a picture of me washing that car as a little kid. i think he sold it when I was around 6 or 7.

Fast forward 10 years, the person dad had sold the car to had it up for sale, so I bought it back for $675, I was 16 years old and I "restored" it in high school. I drove that car through 2 years of high school and all 4 years of college (2000-2004), and went on many a long road trip with it. To bring it full circle, my senior pics were also taken with that car.

I parked it for good in 2005 after the engine had bad compression and wouldn't run well. I haven't driven it since. The body had rotted badly by that point on the fenders and rockers, and around quarter panels. I was going to restore it again in 2009 but bought a 67 Mustang and started working on that. 

I had visions of doing a complete frame off restoration on it some day but was getting to the point where the car might just have to be junked due to the body condition. Fast forward to 2018 and my dad passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly, and I knew I had to restore the car. I just brought the car out with me to Michigan where I live, and brought up a sandblasted body shell and good frame from Southern Indiana and am going to start the frame off restoration this summer.

I also have a fully restored 67 Mustang coupe and a 69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack car that was next in queue to restore, but this LTDII is by far my favorite car because of the histories and my own memories with it. 

78 LTD II sports touring package (blue), father original owner
67 Mustang (5.0)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ Drag Pack
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2020 at 5:48AM
Welcome to the forum. Send pictures during the process. Many parts are still available as well as a ton of experience on these cars are right here.
Steve M.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2020 at 6:31AM
welcome!  start a build thread and pics please Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Lizer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2020 at 7:36AM
Now that I can post pics on the forum...some of my cars. I do 95% of my restorations myself. The only thing I farmed out on the 67 was the transmission rebuild, block machining, half of the headliner installation, and exhaust install. I finished that in 2015.

Next in queue after the LTD II and 69 Mach are finished is my grandpa's 70 F250 farm truck, which is mint.

This is my 78 the day of my senior prom in 2000.

And this is how it sits now. My brother had banged up the drivers front corner, but I have replacment fenders anyway. My 69 Mach SCJ sits in the background and 67 is sitting in the paintbooth. where it lives

The replacement body:

And my 67

Edited by Lizer - 04-January-2020 at 7:45AM
78 LTD II sports touring package (blue), father original owner
67 Mustang (5.0)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ Drag Pack
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2020 at 8:38AM
nice!Big smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2020 at 9:00AM
awesome looking cars. Very nice. Im looking forward to watching your progress. Keep those pictures comingSmile
Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2020 at 9:01AM
oh and im also in west michiganThumbs Up
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2020 at 2:25PM
I'm guilty of having about 3 projects going on at the same time. I do get them done. However, I think doing one at a time might be more productive. So I started a 1987 Ebtide boat with. a 120 hp Johnson. I'm almost done with the Harley. The Gran Torino is on going. Then there's the time spent assisting others.
  Love all the projects. Keep us updated.
Steve M.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2020 at 3:11PM
Welcome to the forum! I upgraded you earlier today but didn't have a chance to post. Your LTD has great family history, I am glad you are saving it. The other Mustang is very nice too! That 69 should be a great project.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2020 at 2:15AM
nice cars and great story about the LTDII

Keep the updates and pics coming. 
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Conner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2020 at 5:27AM
Love that LTD, looks really nice!
Conner Van Hine
 Post Reply Post Reply