The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 351c 4v vacuum diagram.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 351c 4v vacuum diagram.
    Posted: 17-January-2020 at 3:46AM
Hello form.....I have surfed, surfed, and surfed and surfed....I have not found a Ford 1972 351c 4bbl vacuum diagram.

I have the whole SM set.....nothing...

I have found some Pantera vacumm diagrams.

Can it really be that there are `72/351c/4v diagrams??

Please point me in the right direction.....thanks.

(Not 71.....not 73....just 72)
RandyF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2020 at 10:40AM
I will check. I may have this.
Randy
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2020 at 11:34AM
Are you planning on putting all the emission controls in place as it left the factory?  The 1972 CJ had ESC (electronic spark control) which limited and controlled when the vacuum advance on the distributor was used.  Unless you have all the components to the system, they may be difficult to track down, especially in working order.

Look at the factory service manuals, it shows the basics on the ESC vacuum setup.  I have some more detailed diagrams I can scan for you, but just let me know what exactly you are looking to put back on your car before I take the time to find and scan those pages. 

Edited by 72FordGTS - 17-January-2020 at 3:11PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2020 at 10:51PM
Yes..if possible at all, I would like to put the original setup back on. I do realize this may be difficult, but I will give it a go.

I have all the 1972 Ford manuals....not much on vacuum at all.
 I have found some 72 351 vac diagrams.....all are from Pantera setups.

That is why I would like some nice detailed, original setup, pictures.
It is funny there is so little info out there about the 72 GTS....hard to find parts...hard to find (tech) info. This forum is by far the best place for both!
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2020 at 7:26AM
Okay, I was able to find them in the Master Parts Catalog.  These should cover off all your needs for all the vacuum connections.  Just be aware all these emission controls really killed the driveability on these cars.  I know people like to restore things to factory correct, but I would never run all these archaic emissions controls on a car I owned.  

Here is the ESC system.  

Here is the TRS System (Transmission Regulated Spark Control)  This system prevents vacuum advance in the first two gears of the transmission (was used on 4-speeds too).  Note the diagram is for A/C cars and non-A/C cars

Edited by 72FordGTS - 18-January-2020 at 11:18AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2020 at 7:54AM
WOW!...amazing! Thanks for that! Is that catalogue available to `joe-public`?
Thanks...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2020 at 5:32AM
IF I was NOT to restore to original specs........what would or wouldnt I need, to be kept carb/engine wise?

Of course I would like `performance` too........

Let me know of a doable `performance` setup...that still looks stock.....thanks.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2020 at 6:14AM
shove a ball bearing into any vacuum hose you want to see but not to function
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2020 at 7:32AM
or cut the shank section from an appropriate size old bolt that fits in the hose, then shove it in the hose about an inch, then slip the hose back where it goes Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2020 at 8:24AM
harharharharLOL...you guys are to cool!! 

Big guess here...The ONLy vacuum I reallllllllllly need is distributor vac advance, choke and brake booster......right? Hehehe..awesome!
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2020 at 8:50AM
Yes, anyone can get the Ford Master Parts Catalog.  I have the digital copy, and it is one of the most useful resources I have.  It takes some time to figure out how to navigate through the catalog and the copyright makes it very restrictive on how you can used it (you can't screen shot anything).

As for the vacuum, all you need is the vacuum advance for your distributor, your brake booster and that choke pull-off if you used the 4300D carb.  That's what I'd do if it's my car (and this is what I did do for my own car).  I don't understand why anyone would want to put all that emissions stuff back on, even if it is correct.  It never worked well even when new, and nobody kept it on back in the day either.  If you are using a stock distributor, you may have to re-curve it through if you dump all the emissions controls though.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2020 at 9:18AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

I don't understand why anyone would want to put all that emissions stuff back on, even if it is correct.  It never worked well even when new, and nobody kept it on back in the day either. 

^^^^THIS!!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply