Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Tools & Shop Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wide Band O2 Tuning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wide Band O2 Tuning
    Posted: 25-January-2020 at 7:20AM
I'd like to get a wide band tuner to help dial my carburetor really well.  Has anyone use one of these?  If so what would you recommend?  I was looking at Innovate LM-2 Digital Air/Fuel Ratio Meter Basic Kit from Summit.

Any opinions?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2020 at 7:53AM
The reviews don't look very promising. I suppose for daily driving it would be fine. Definitely following this thread.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2020 at 8:24AM
 i seem to remember somewhere on here carl or andy mentioning one??? a while back...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2020 at 1:41PM
I currently use a basic wideband from AEM, been a great tool in helping me tune my 770 and 870 Holleys, have had it about 6 years and no issues.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2020 at 2:10AM
John, I found a few old threads here about them, mentioning AEM and the LM-2.  Scott used the LM-2, but it does seem to have a spotty record based on reviews.  It also does more than I need it to do, since I am not interested in OBD2 stuff.

I just want something to dial in the carb really well.  At least with a A/F ratio I will know exactly if it is lean or rich under the various conditions.  

Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

I currently use a basic wideband from AEM, been a great tool in helping me tune my 770 and 870 Holleys, have had it about 6 years and no issues.

Todd, when you have some time, can you give me more details on your setup?  Do you have a gauge permanently mounted or just install it as you need it? AEM sounds like it may be a more economical choice than the LM-2.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2020 at 3:02AM
Hey Vince,
 I use this one, AEM 30-4110 
AEM Electronics 30-4110 - AEM Electronics Wideband Air/Fuel UEGO Gauge Kits
Just a basic wideband with no frills, does work well for my needs though. I installed the gauge into my GT cluster where the clock once resided, non-working clock of course. I welded an 02 bung in each of my exhaust's header extensions, didn't want to drill into my 6126's, plugged the one on passenger side(wanted both in case I ever went EFI so I could use the wideband with the EFI). I can tell you that the wideband will show you where to focus your carb tuning, whether it be idle, off-idle or WOT. My 472 C6 combo gave me 15.2 mpg on my trip to Dawsonville a few years back, not bad for having no OD and a 280 Magnum Comp Cam(not exactly an mpg improver). You will find once you have the wideband installed and it's feedback, is when to quit "tuning" on the carburetor and just enjoy the ride and don't even think about installing 2 WB's(one for each bank of your V8) that will lead to sensory overload Ouch. The biggest gains I found in both my Holleys were in tuning the idle feed restrictors in the metering block, reducing main jet size and increasing power valve vacuum opening point and enlarging it's restrictor size under the valve to compensate for the leaner cruise mixture. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2020 at 12:19PM
A big thank you Todd!  As usual your posts are very helpful.  I looked this kit up on Summit and it's reviews are far better than the LM-2.  The more I read, the more the AEM stuff seems to be spoken highly of, so this might be a better route.  I am thinking I might be able to fab something up to have a the gauge temporarily mounted for tuning, then I can remove it.  I'd buy a plug for the O2 sensor hole for when it's not in use.  

Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2020 at 12:45PM
Looking forward to your install thread and review.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2020 at 12:50PM
 AEM sounds familiar i think thats what carl mentioned???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Dubz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2020 at 5:05AM
I'll be looking forward to updates as well.  I know next to nothing about carb tuning, so I'd really like some feedback I've got it somewhat close.

I know swapping to EFI requires adding an O2 sensor, does anyone know if these AEM ones would serve a dual purpose?
1974 Gran Torino in flat black 351W/C6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2020 at 11:19AM
Is this for basically one time use to get dialed in? What does it monitor on a constant basis. I don't want to replace my exhaust with an H pipe at the moment but plan on some mufflers to replace the Xellerators that are on it now. I need the deep sound/rumble that my Galaxie had with the thrush mufflers it had. Reading the plugs should tell me if I am jetted to lean or rich. 
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2020 at 12:39PM
I haven't bought anything yet, as I am still waiting to get my exhaust done.  For the carb tuning, I have done the old school methods, like plug reading and a vacuum gauge.  But I'd like to be more precise.  The A/F meter will show when my secondaries open if I am going lean or rich, and at other points in my acceleration curve.  Right now I have the carb dialed in okay, but I know I can get it better.

If you run a fuelie system, it would have it's own Oxygen sensor.  The bung doesn't go in an H-pipe either, as it would get poor readings there.  It just goes near the header collectors, the closer to the engine the better. You only need to do one side, but your could have one on each side.   Right now I am leaning towards the AEM unit that Todd used, based on his experience and other positive reviews.  I am just not sure I want the gauge permanently mounted in my car, since I am keeping mine original looking.  I will update when I do purchase something.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 19-May-2020 at 2:28PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2020 at 1:38PM
I can tell you once you have a wide-band installed, it should and/or will tell you where to focus your efforts in your carb tuning. It will also drive you nuts if you let it, sometimes you just have to let it be "good enough". Here is a great place to get help in tuning , lots of knowledgeable folks there https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/racingfuelsystems/index.php?sid=5e69f507a49c8bccc1391b35f6bcd192

Hope this helps.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2020 at 10:05AM
Just to update this thread, I ended up ordering the AEM 30-4110 that Todd recommended.  I will have the bung welded on when I get my new exhaust installed soon.  I am looking forward to dialing the carb in.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 12-July-2020 at 10:26AM
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2020 at 10:21AM
You can drill your exhaust and strap it on the old one. Saw it on motor. trend
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2020 at 10:35AM
hey no youtube " master certified" stuff hereLOL just drill a hole and weld around the bung easy and no leaks that wayWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2020 at 12:24PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Just to update this thread, I ended up ordering the AEM 30-4110 that Todd recommended.  I will have the bung welded on when I get my new exhaust installed soon.  I am looking forward to dialing the carb in.

I recommend having one installed on each side, if ever going to EFI it is already there or if you want to verify which bank is leaner/richer so you can tune on the safe side of ragged edge. Make sure they install bung at least 7-10 degrees above level within exhaust tubing so moisture doesn't accumulate on the o2 sensor's tip. Get ready to spend some time tuning Wink. but your efforts will be well rewarded.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2020 at 1:27PM
My current exhaust consists of a flexible pipe connecting the headers to the old 2" exhaust by the H pipe.  So I am not going to bother with a bung in it. I knew about the clamp on style, but I prefer weld in.  Now is the time to do it with the new exhaust going on soon.

And thanks again Todd.  I did remember you saying about the dual banks, however, I won't ever be running EFI on this car.  I could always add the second one though to do like you said and see if one bank is leaner than the other.  
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2020 at 3:36PM
Are you putting them on the collectors?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2020 at 3:34AM
No, immediately after the headers.  They are ceramic coated, I am not drilling into them.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2020 at 4:50AM
Makes sense. Are the tubes heat wrapped too?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2020 at 4:54AM

No, immediately after the headers.  They are ceramic coated, I am not drilling into them.

Thumbs Up Same here, didn't want to drill a hole in an expensive header, especially if they are coated, no welding after ceramic coating.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2020 at 2:37PM
No wrap on the headers, just the ceramic coating. It keeps it them pretty cool underhood, plus the wraps aren't good for longevity.  Super comps are big $$$
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2021 at 9:55AM
I should update this post.  I played around with my AEM gauge this summer, but the O2 sensor crapped out within 10 minutes of use!  I was not very happy with the quality of the O2 sensor.  AEM apparently used to use Bosch sensor but doesn't anymore.  I believe mine came with a non-Bosch O2 sensor.  Unfortunately AEM wouldn't replace it under warranty it either.  I contacted them one month outside the 1 year warranty (my fault, I know) but they refused to help. 

I will have to buy another O2 sensors and try again...
Vince

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2021 at 1:53PM

I should update this post.  I played around with my AEM gauge this summer, but the O2 sensor crapped out within 10 minutes of use!  I was not very happy with the quality of the O2 sensor.  AEM apparently used to use Bosch sensor but doesn't anymore.  I believe mine came with a non-Bosch O2 sensor.  Unfortunately AEM wouldn't replace it under warranty it either.  I contacted them one month outside the 1 year warranty (my fault, I know) but they refused to help. 

I will have to buy another O2 sensors and try again...

Sad to hear about their quality and/or their unwillingness to help you out. My AEM came with a Bosch O2 sensor and has been working good since at least '14. I'm usually the one who gets the dud or parts that don't work correctly the first time around.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2022 at 11:14AM
To update this thread, I got an new Bosch O2 sensor and the gauge is working great. Too bad AEM cheaped out with a garbage O2 sensor.  Read the reviews and it is a very common problem.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply