The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Particularities of cooling in 400 2V engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtoM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Particularities of cooling in 400 2V engine
    Posted: 14-March-2020 at 7:19AM
Hi all,

My first post on this forum! I have recently purchased a Gran Torino Sport 1972 (fastback), with a 400 ci engine. My first steps in making this great car great again, bring me to perform a diagnosis of the engine. It starts well however, after few minutes (idle), I've got a white smoke on half a V.

I removed the spark plugs and see a white dirt on the half V with the white smoke. It is usually related to a (too) high temperature ignition. On the other V side the spark plugs are covered with a dark, coal-like material, usually related to too rich gas mix in the cylinders.

The temperature measurements confirm that: after 2 minutes, on one side the V8 is 108°C (225°F) and on the other side 77°C (170°F). Hence smoke is certainly water vapor.

Is there any explanation for a half V overload in temperature? I see that the upper radiator hose is coming from the hottest side, the lower one is on the coolest one. Do you know what is the water flow direction (if from lower to upper, it can comes from a low water pressure or a failing water pump).

Hope to here from you soon!

pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2020 at 7:38AM
Originally posted by AtoM AtoM wrote:

Do you know what is the water flow direction (if from lower to upper, it can comes from a low water pressure or a failing water pump).
The coolant comes from the top front of the engine then it goes into the upper radiator hose, and then it passes through the radiator and exits through the lower radiator hose, and it goes into the water pump at the lower part of the front of the engine.
pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2020 at 7:50AM
Then the coolant travels through the lower parts of the engine block and then through the cylinder heads and it exits through the upper front of the engine into the upper radiator hose. Your engine has a "dry" intake manifold, meaning that no coolant flows through the intake manifold.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2020 at 8:02AM
the head gasket on the hot side has been installed incorrectly

there's a passage that allows coolant from the block up into the head in the rear of the engine, that passage is blocked off when the head gasket is installed 'backwards'. see the gasket marked FRONT ? look at the opposite end (back) and find the open hole that is not present at the front of the gasket. both gaskets in the pic are oriented the same way, front is on the left and back is to the right. the most common mistake guys make is to install both gaskets with the logo side facing UP because it looks pretty that way but it's wrong. hopefully there's no engine damage from getting hot and you can fix it with a single gasket but i'm really afraid the head and the block both need to be checked for flat by a professional engine builder and remachined back to flat. the good news is the 400 needs the block to be decked to make decent power anyway

Edited by Rockatansky - 14-March-2020 at 8:16AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2020 at 8:10AM
also verify that your thermostat is the correct type and the bypass restrictor plate is in place. the correct type thermo has a brass hat on the sensor bulb that closes the bypass orifice in the restrictor plate. incorrect 330 series Windsor/chevy thermo on the left, correct 333 series Cleveland style thermo on the right.

see the ring on the sensor? you want that!

Edited by Rockatansky - 14-March-2020 at 5:13PM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2020 at 8:13AM
here's how the internal bypass system works

sticky the link Vince ?
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2020 at 8:20AM
and Hey Welcome to the forum AtoM !

sorry it has to be on this note but are you ready to build a snot-locker 400?

France?!!

we'll have to CC Ilyes in on this, maybe he can direct you to some competent help over there Thumbs Up
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2020 at 12:09PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

here's how the internal bypass system works

sticky the link Vince ?

Done, I added it to the thermostat sticky post.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply