The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roof skin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roof skin
    Posted: 05-May-2020 at 12:10PM
Will the roof skin on a 73 formal roof work on a 72 fastback?
normand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote normand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2020 at 2:18PM
You will need to find a 72 or 73 fastback roof skin to be a donor for a 72 fastback.  The doors between a formal roof and fastback are the same, but front windows are slightly different because of a different roof line.  I'm sure others have more background on the topic.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2020 at 5:44AM
Normand is correct, you need a fastback roof for a fastback car.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
normand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2020 at 10:37AM
This is mine from years ago with the roof skin removed.  A great deal of work drilling out all the spot welds on both the donor and your car.  Then welding back all the spot welds.  All worth it!
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2020 at 12:24PM
Normand, what did you use to fill the seam at the C-pillar once the roof was back on?  I know the factory used lead, did you use a modern alternative?
Vince

GTS.org Admin
normand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2020 at 1:24PM
I can confirm mine was lead filled in this picture and we melted out.  Back on my earlier 72 Sportsroof I purchased in 1978 you could see an intended line there at the seam under the vinyl.  The donor roof skin for my current car was a non vinyl roof car and was filled with body filler, not lead.  Could have been placed there years after the factory.  Somebody told me the vinyl roof cars were leaded and the non vinyl cars were filled with body filler.

To answer your question we used body filler and didn't try to lead it.  Not quite original looking because you don't see that line under the vinyl.  I guess the lead will have a slight shrink to create that line.  For me going back to vinyl was an easy decision, I prefer the color contrast between the 2B bright red and black vinyl.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2020 at 3:39PM
far as i can tell hard tops were lead vinyl was filler
 i've talked to a couple high end shops they just use duraglass filler
 i used panel bond and duraglass over that on my mustang...we'll see how that works out...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2020 at 2:24AM
Post deleted.... I read a previous post wrong. Carry on :)

Edited by hogfiddles - 07-May-2020 at 2:31AM
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2020 at 1:15PM
My car is not vinyl roof car and it has lead filler.  The original paint flaked off on the lead filler and exposed it before it was repainted in 1996.  The body shop did nothing to treat the lead at that time of the repaint.  Now many years later the paint over the lead filler is failing again. So when I do get my car painted, I think I need to have the lead filler removed and filled with something else.  

I was just curious what other's were using to fill this panel as I obviously would want a product that wouldn't cause issues as it aged.  John or anyone else have any ideas why the lead filler on my car caused paint issues?
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2020 at 2:17PM
lead paint?? Lol
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2020 at 5:05PM
IDK? maybe the lead wasn't clean? had an oxidized layer on the surface? not primed with good epoxy primer? shouldn't have been an issue!
 i always sand mine down with 80 grit as you'll find high and low spots if its all cleaned and sanded you can put filler over it to block it out smoothWink you can see the greenish filler that was needed for low spots and the high areas were blocked down as seen...

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2020 at 1:31AM
fwiw, my sportsroof was a painted roof and had plastic filler
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2020 at 9:54AM
assy plant may have something to do with whether it's lead or flubber?
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2020 at 12:26PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

IDK? maybe the lead wasn't clean? had an oxidized layer on the surface? not primed with good epoxy primer? shouldn't have been an issue!
 i always sand mine down with 80 grit as you'll find high and low spots if its all cleaned and sanded you can put filler over it to block it out smoothWink you can see the greenish filler that was needed for low spots and the high areas were blocked down as seen...

Yeah, I think there is something up with this lead, as it did it on the original factory paint job too.  I have no idea what the body shop did to prep it.  Not sure if they used an epoxy primer over it (I am assuming that would seal it up and prevent other problems??), as this was done back in 1996 and it was just a respray.  I read a lot of stuff online about the lead filler causing paint adhesion problems as it ages.  So I am not sure what to do when it comes time to fix it.  Remove the lead and replace it with a modern filler, or just try and seal it up with a good epoxy primer?

Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

assy plant may have something to do with whether it's lead or flubber?

Yeah, I agree there seems to be some variation and I bet it is by plant.  I don't think the vinyl roof/plain roof made a difference in how the joint was filled.  Before this thread, I always thought all they were all lead filler from the factory.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
gregaba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregaba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2020 at 6:48AM
Hi
I have used Alvin all metal for years. Once it sets up it does not shrink and can be thinned enough to use with a primer gun for small fills.
Works just like metal and so far has never give me a problem if you follow the directions.
Greg.
Greg
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2020 at 7:05AM
I have lead joints on My '79 Tbird.
A-pillars have "popped" and i was looking at them about a week before i got sick
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2020 at 8:28AM
As others have stated, no they will not fulling interchange. Now, if you were needing to just repair the front area around the windshield, yes you can use the front section of the roof. Rear area however is different. Inner structure is different. 

Fun fact:
Formal roof cars and Sportsroof {fastback} cars use different door glass as well.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply