The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starter power draw when hot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter power draw when hot
    Posted: 11-July-2020 at 2:06AM
Hd the same issue with my ‘76 Gran Torino back in the ‘80’s
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2020 at 2:02AM
Thanks for this info! My '70 has/had the same issue, but the previous owner was dumping the exhaust after the manifolds... loud and mean but gets very HOT!!  After installing an exhaust system, I'm hoping that was my issue. Haven't had a chance to drive it long enough to know, but if not now I'll know where to check!
Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2020 at 6:26PM
I have had an issue for a long time where my car will fire right up and after a short ride will barely crank. Replaced the starter with a reman and had the same problem. Put a Powermaster in and we noticed the cable to the starter had been run over the motor mount. That was the problem all along. Now it runs along the oil pan rail and has the factory  heat sleeve on it still. Cranks over with the slightest turn of the key. To say I am thrilled is an understatement. Spent a lot of energy thinking but not thinking rationally. 
They made a jumper instead of running another wire and also heat wrapped the starter. Anyway, carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply