The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

74 Gran Torino A/C question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thmj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 Gran Torino A/C question
    Posted: 25-June-2020 at 10:39AM
I was wondering if anyone here could help with an AC question. I have a 74 Gran Torino. The A/C turns on and is semi cold.  I changed the blower motor thinking that was it. Turns out it wasn’t. It still blows ok but not as strong as I think it should. I realized today when I accelerate the air stops blowing out of the vents and when I remove my foot from the gas it kicks back up. Would anyone be able to suggest what to swap out? The unit is fully charged so it’s not that. Thanks for any help in advance. 
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2020 at 2:23PM
Does that mean the air gets warmer or the fan stops blowing?
Heater blend doors and heater core water flow are vacuum controlled.
If the fan is changing speed, there is probably an electrical issue.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Thmj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thmj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2020 at 2:49PM
it seems like the fan isn’t blowing or at least not very strong when I accelerate. It blows ok when I don’t press the gas (not as strong as I think it should) but barely if any air feels like it’s coming out when I accelerate. The heat wasn’t strong either in the winter but worked.  I just bought this car end of last year and never used the AC so I don’t know what the issue is. Thanks for any input. 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2020 at 4:57PM
yep sounds like a vacuum issue, its changing the doors and blocking off the flow....
 if it's that sensitive maybe the check valve in the vacuum can is bad or can leaking? or too small???
 or one of the vacuum pods is leaking??? that controls that door???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2020 at 2:37AM
Sounds like john is on the right track , vacuum closing a door or loss of vacuum. Wrong routing of lines .
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
Rivercrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivercrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2020 at 4:39PM
My 74 Cougar XR7 has a 2 vac lines running through the firewall just to the right of the hump, below the heater assembly. One is about 3/8 inch, goes to the vac soup can, the other is 1/8 inch goes to the water valve. The soup can has a check valve that prevents loss of vacuum to the heat/ac when you do a fast acceleration due to a lack of vacuum. Blend doors will probably close without vacuum. I'd be checking that soup can..........
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2020 at 7:09AM
You might want to check the vacuum booster for the brakes. Mine leaked and it wreaked havoc with everything. Including the operation of the blend doors. My vacuum can is plugged off right now. The check valve is leaking.  The leak caused the same problem that your having.  That's going to be replaced when the A/C is upgraded. 
Steve M.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2020 at 5:54PM
steve, do you need an oem booster check valve? i have 2 available...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2020 at 10:43AM
Thanks. Thats one of many worn out parts. Every other part I touch is worn out. However thats part of the fun 
Steve M.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2020 at 11:23AM
then you don't want to look at your suspension bushing thenConfused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2020 at 11:31AM
I already looked.  Shocked. Thats next month's project.  Right now, I need to stop without any surprises! 
Steve M.
Flieger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flieger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2020 at 6:44AM
Oh well, what the hell. McWatt
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2020 at 7:00AM
So, with the check valve replaced at the booster,  normal braking has returned. Thank you John. I have to replace my  canister check valve next. For now, I've capped off the line going too it.  
Steve M.
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2020 at 7:01AM
Michael,  your thread is spot on.  Thank you
Steve M.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2020 at 7:15AM
steve, are you needing the "HI-C" can? i have a couple ... a big one and a couple small ones...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2020 at 7:31AM
yup. The one that I have is rusted through where it attaches to the clip. The plastic is shot  where the  vacuum line exists for my heater/a.c. controls 
Steve M.
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2020 at 7:31AM
Almost forgot,  I have the smaller one 
Steve M.
 Post Reply Post Reply