The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cloudy brake fluid - WTF?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cloudy brake fluid - WTF?
    Posted: 01-August-2020 at 4:37AM
Guys,

Just checked my brake fluid and it's cloudy! The fluid is about two years old and everything was new but the lines and the used Prop valve from CJ (maybe this is all his fault!). Could it be engine heat? The front brake reservoir has little chunks(lines run by the exhaust manifolds), the rear brake reservoir has large chucks(only gets engine heat from under the hood).

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Front reservoir

Rear reservoir
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2020 at 7:28AM
i wouldn't call that cloudy, some kind of contamination. looks like chinesium

i'd do a drain / fill then another after some use and see how it goes

suck the reservoirs empty with a baster to avoid pushing what you see through the system,

then push clean fluid through

72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2020 at 9:08AM
Shocked what? i looked though my records... you only paid for just the basic parts, you didn't pay extra for optional chunks, bee's nests , mouse nests, or spiders...

it looks like maybe moisture? salt air moisture??? or possibly some assembly coating maybe on the new master??? are you using DOT 3 fluid? do not mix dot3 and 5!!!
 i'd do like rock suggested!
 FWIW i pulled the master from this car to use as a mock up and core, but when i open the cap it was clear and rustfree in the fluid Shocked and had been sitting in that yard for 30-40 years! ShockedShockedShocked BTW i flushed it out with new fluid and i'm running it on my carThumbs Up

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2020 at 2:28PM
That looks like swamp water.
I would flush that before i drove it.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2020 at 6:09PM
those parts didn't come from that car BTW parts on mine did
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2020 at 4:10AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

Shocked what? i looked though my records... you only paid for just the basic parts, you didn't pay extra for optional chunks, bee's nests , mouse nests, or spiders...

it looks like maybe moisture? salt air moisture??? or possibly some assembly coating maybe on the new master??? are you using DOT 3 fluid? do not mix dot3 and 5!!!
 i'd do like rock suggested!
 FWIW i pulled the master from this car to use as a mock up and core, but when i open the cap it was clear and rustfree in the fluid Shocked and had been sitting in that yard for 30-40 years! ShockedShockedShocked BTW i flushed it out with new fluid and i'm running it on my carThumbs Up

My records clearly show the Rats Nest, which is what I wanted and received, but when I installed the nest, the rats never showed up!?!?LOL

Tough to see this picture again, hate to see these cars in that state, but good to know some of their parts still have value today.

I'll evacuate, refill and bleed and see if I've got cloudy fluid in the lines too. Could very well be residue from manufacture in the reservoirs only.

Thanks to all for reading!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2020 at 4:57PM
your parts didn't come from that car!!
 they came from this one...

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2020 at 3:45AM
ah yes, still tough to see these near the end. They were very popular, Lincoln built many of them.

I'm in the market for a '72 Mark IV. If I ever find a good one I'll post a pic of their former glory.
 Post Reply Post Reply