The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zebra 3 in rehab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:23PM

Well, its finally out of the paint booth. Its been sanded and buffed and has a fantastic shine!!Clap Side mirrors, front bumper and grill put back on..I wish I could take some credit for it but I've been leaving it up to my father-in-law and the guys at the shop. They're the pros. Instead of bringing it back home, its going to stay in storage there until the snow melts..I know.. its kill'n me.. Especially the other day, we broke a record with 50 degrees in Green Bay..Getting the bug. But winter isnt over. And I dont want to trailer it for 4 hrs on the salt dusted highways..I may have a lead on an enclosed trailer though so I may use that..The undercarriage isnt going to be anything special. Just going to reundercoat it. The interior is still gutted out. I ordered an interior kit from Dearborn, seat covers, carpet, headliner, armrests, and a bunch of other goodies to install but I'm going to have an interior shop take care of installing most of that. I've got enough $$ tied up already and being somewhat of a novice at restoration I'm going to leave some of the big stuff to the pros..Dont want to have to pay for something twice, thats for sure..

It may be alittle frustrating putting the rest together since I bought it with the interior gutted and alot of misc nuts/bolts and trim pieces missing. I wish I had another 76 parts car with a nice black interior to park next to mine and just switch everything out with..Oh well..part of the challenge I guess.. Enjoy the pics...
Starsky and Hutch Limited Edition #559 in rehab
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:24PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:25PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:27PM
need to add the black pinstripe yet too

GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:27PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:35PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:35PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:37PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:38PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:39PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:46PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2009 at 3:47PM
starskyknight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starskyknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2009 at 1:55AM
I bet you can't wait to get it back on the streets! Lookin sweeter by the week.
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2009 at 3:15PM
I thought I better find my thread before it got too buried..LOL...There hasnt been much to report lately, I'm scraping together the balance $$ of the paint job so I can pick her up. I'm hoping by the end of the month..I did send my rear bumper out to get rechromed and a local guy was recomended for repolishing the trim so I dropped that off...Really nice guy and he looks just like Santa Claus with his big white beard...wild....

I need to clear everything out of the one side in the garage before I take it home too, dont want any of the kids bicycles or rakes and shovels falling off their hooks on the walls and ceiling onto the car,,thats for sure....

All this nice weather and local car shows is killiing me.... 
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2009 at 3:36PM
Cool update!!!
Keep the pics coming, it looks GREAT!!!
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2009 at 5:59PM

Time to come home!! Those Uhaul car transports work pretty nice...

GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2009 at 6:05PM
Home Sweet Home...HEY YOU KIDS, KEEP THOSE BIKES AWAY FROM THE TORINO!!!!Confused
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2009 at 6:06PM
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2009 at 6:10PM

One of my first jobs is to take the dash completely off,  need to clean everything up and probably put in a new heater core while I'm at it. Also painting the lower dash black..Got a tilt column to put in as well.

starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2009 at 5:45AM
Looking good,now you can pull all nighters on it!You have a nice spacious garage to work in too.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2009 at 5:46AM
Watch those exhaust tips,that's a lower leg injury waiting to happen!lol.
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2009 at 6:20AM
Ha, thats funny you say that Ralph, I already have a nice scratch/scab on my right shin because of those things...so out came the cutting wheel and I cut them off yesterday..I was planning of having the tailpipes turned up and hidden anyway.....
GRAN1976TORINO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRAN1976TORINO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2009 at 9:04AM
Gary - looking REALLY NICE! Paint looks great!! keep pics coming! what interior os going back in?
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2009 at 5:53PM
Thanks..I'm switching everything to black. I was going to put the front bench seat back in but now I've decided to try and find some buckets from that era to put in instead... When I got the interior kit from Dearborn it didnt come with a cover for the front bench seat which was kindof odd. I called them and they said the kit doesnt come with a new cover for the front only the rear seat..??.. but they could get the same material from their supplier and I can have someone local make a cover..I thought if I'm going to have to do that, I might as well go the bucket route.. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRAN1976TORINO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 9:40AM
nice - kepp sending pics!! How much did the paint cost?
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 7:06PM

MY MISTAKE.....Dearborns interior kit DID come with the FRONT bench cover, its the rear seat cover that wasnt included..Its been sitting in a box for so long I forgot which one came with it....still going to try and find some front buckets though....

The paint job came to around $13,000. which is about twice what I had budgeted..Unfortunatley my father-in-law wasnt able to work on it as much as I had hoped (for free) so I had to have the other guys at the shop complete it. A good chunk of the work/time/money was spent fixing the subpar body work the previous shop started for the car's prior owner. Sounds like alot but after talking with the shop owner (whos actually my wife's cousin) and explained everything he did, I'm OK with it. I also had him tear it down more than anticipated too. and once you start digging into those things you want to do it right while its apart..so oh well, ya it costs but it looks great..if this wasnt an actual Limited Edition S&H I wouldnt have gone to the extent of rehab I did. I keep telling myself I've been waiting 30yrs for this car so I say what the hell...right? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GRAN1976TORINO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 3:11PM
absolutely! Well well worth it! wish you could go to Carlisle in June - lots of S&H cars will be there. Next year maybe!!!!???
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 4:20PM
Gary,my same thoughts,what the hell,do it right and its done.I give you some big credit for restoring it,going to be sweet when its done....finished yet?
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 5:47PM

Ha, you funny man Ralph!! I got the battery recharged. hows that? lol...I checked out some wheel dollys at Fleet Farm today, $90. a piece, to put under the tires so I can push the Torino off to the side and get our other two daily drivers inside in case there is a storm. I'm paronoid of hail storms, my wife had her brand new car hailed on years ago, 3 days after driving it out off the showroom floor...For now mine is staying outside.

I'll have to take some baby steps when its all together, I'd love to get to the big dance in Carlisle some day. That would be quite a drive from Wisconsin. It would be a nice visit though, I could swing over to my old Army base in Maryland where I was stationed in the 80's. 

Going to go tire shopping. I have a refurbished set of 15" alum slots waiting to go on. Need to send the tilt column out and get that refurb and get that fuel tank,sending unit, etc ordered to get it running. It hasnt been started in over a year..

I've noticed a tranny leak. Looks like the front/housing area. Its been doing it since I bought it. I was told the tranny was redone years ago. Could that be from sitting so long and is that something that might seal itself again once its run down the road some?

Ralph, what width did you use again on your black stripe? I know it wasnt the 1/4"
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2009 at 3:41PM

I had my painter go 1/8" wide to keep it more subtle looking.The leak is probably the front pump seal,its cake to change once the trans is out,but you should inspect pump bushing behind it if the seal is out.If thats to worn,you'll leak even with a new seal.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>