The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zebra 3 in rehab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2009 at 4:56PM
thats good to know on the tranny, I checked the fluid level after starting it for the first time and it seemed to shift fine in forward and reverse when I drove up and off the trailer..And I have the receipt on the engine rebuild the original owner did on the motor so I shouldnt have to put any money into that but will probably have the old stock 2brl carb rebuilt from sitting so long though...
I put alittle 1/8" striping on one side and 3/16" on the other...after walking back and forth looking at it I think I'm going with the 3/16" after all, it did have the 1/4 before,too wide....

Thanks
Starsky and Hutch Limited Edition #559 in rehab
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2010 at 6:45PM
HOLY CRAP!! I cant believe its been over a year since I last added something!!! I had to slow things down a bit (spending wise) the past year and take care of some other issues which took away from my rehab time...The good news is I can get back at it now..My father-in-law (the retired bodyshop owner) drove over and spent a few days last week. Ya, part was to see the grandkids, but mainly to help me reassemble the car..Its one thing when you take a car apart yourself and mark everything real nice so you know where it goes during reassembly.. Its another when you get a project in pieces and try putting it back together...sort of like getting one of those 500 piece puzzles and not having the photo on the box cover to guide you...

So anyway, we were able to get all of the redone drip rail moldings on along with the roof and door seals. The quarter windows along with the weather stripping...(you folks are right those repro pieces for the quarter windows are junk!)...he also showed me how to mount the rocker panel trim with all those clips. I put the new tail lamps and bezels on...ran the wiring harness to the back and hooked it up.

Changed all the bulbs and everything works!!  Whooo Hoooo!

Installed the passenger door glass but not the driver's side..too scratched up. Now  that I know how to do it I'll wait till I get a nicer one to put in for that side..

I started small list of various parts and pieces that I am going to need to find...I will be listing them
under the "Wanted" section shortly....If anyone can help me with parts they may have or point me in the direction where I can get them I would truly appreciate it...

I'll get an updated pic shortly...

Gary

Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2010 at 4:16PM
Love the thread and the car. Where about in WI are you located? I may have only had my 75 for a few months now but have yet to see another one around here. I even went to the big show in the Dells and only saw one SH and one 75 wagon and that show had over 1K cars there!

Jesse
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2010 at 6:49PM
I went to the Dells show a couple years ago and there were only 2 there and they were both S&H cars, one drove up from Illinois and was in really nice shape..
I'm in Green Bay and I havent seen any other ones up here either...
I'm glad I have a renewed energy about getting this project done. Its so easy to get caught up in other projects but seeing all the old cars coming out on the weekends was killing me...that and the simple fact that I have never taken on a project like this so having the father-in-law pay a visit was a great help..

And thats what makes this site so great is all the super folks who share their knowledge and experience on so many topics to help lesson the agravation you can get sometimes...

Also added a 3/16" black pinstripe. It used to have a 1/4 but I thought that was too wide and 1/8th was too thin...Door handles and locks also put in and working..It was surprising what we were finding in all those boxes and coffee cans of nuts/bolts and parts...another bonus of having an old school body guy pay a visit... I could just hold up a part and ask where in the heck does his go? and he would say over there...

Here are a couple of resent pics....

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2010 at 12:09AM
coming together quite nicely!
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2010 at 3:08AM
Great work. I like the way you rebuilt her .
VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2010 at 3:30PM
Awesome!
Well worth the time and effort. There are a lot of guys out there that just want the car rolling rather than a quality long term rewards and investment.
You have done it right
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2011 at 5:20PM
found and moved another one to the project page
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2012 at 11:42PM
Hey, did you ever finish this thing???
I forgot you wereso deep into it, it looks really NICE!!!!
~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2012 at 6:54AM
Hey, thanks for digging out my thread Chris. No, my car hasnt hit the street yet, pretty much looks like the last photos unfortunately. I had a little health issue last year and had to watch my spending but I am determined to get on it soon so I can have it on the road this summer. I have still been collecting parts however, new fuel tank, sending unit, oddball interior items, all sitting in boxes. I have an upholsterer lined up to redo the bucket seats. I just need to schedule a time..I've also been sending out my trim to have reanodized if I havent found NOS. Also scored a new grill for a nice price and had the surround trim for it redon as well..

Another really cool thing that happened last fall was that I was actually able to meet "Starsky", Paul Michael Glaser in person in Chicago at a Hollywood convention there..Really nice guy, got to talk a bit and get a couple pictures. He was also promoting a book he authored. My son invited him to come to Green Bay when the car is done and take it for a drive. That was funny....

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2012 at 7:44AM
What a great thread and an awesome car!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2012 at 12:56PM
I wouldn't let him drive my car. Remember he stated he hated the car and tried to do damage to it whenever he could.LOL
1zebra3                      76 S&H Torino
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2012 at 5:59PM
thats right, no bouncing off the curbs Starsky!!! LOL
Starsky74Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starsky74Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2012 at 11:19AM
Originally posted by 1zebra3 1zebra3 wrote:

I wouldn't let him drive my car. Remember he stated he hated the car and tried to do damage to it whenever he could.LOL

I know, I loved the show and idolised the car and thought Starsky was so cool for having the bollocks to drive such a vivid detectives car... and then so dissapointed after watching the DVD extras to find out he hated it.... but screw him I love the bloody thing more than life its'self... Starsky Torino forever...at least on screen he made out he loved it... my bubble cant be burst... I enjoy living in a mad fantasy world..
oops gotta go in case my bellbottoms shrink in the dryer..
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2012 at 6:45PM
Uh Oh...What happened??? I wanted to clean out the old photos in my file manager so after I did so, I see that all of the photos in the threat disappeared...CRAP!...I'm sick...Is there a way to put them back or do I have to start over??

75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2012 at 1:33PM

I was wondering what was up with that?I thought it was my computer.

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2012 at 7:37AM
PHWEEEeeeeewwww, that was a close one...My heart felt gratitude to Scott at GranTorinoSport for helping me get the photos back into the thread...Thanks Buddy!!!...and he did it all the way from Afghanistan!! Isnt modern technology amazing!
Luckily I still had the photos in a file on my computer so it was just a matter of going into "properties" on each missing photo locations, finding them in my computer's photo folder and reuploading them back into the web sites file manager which allowed them to pop back into the thread by automatically...and I didnt even have to resize them...

Ok, now I can get my butt in gear and get working on this baby again!!

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2012 at 5:13AM
Gary,

Boy you really dodged a bullet there.... Congrats on the save! Clap

I know how sick I would be if I ever lost my project blog.

Looking forward to updates!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2013 at 6:23PM
Gary how are you? How's the health and the car? I'm back from the beyond.....lol
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2013 at 5:35AM
Hey Ralph, great to hear from you! Man the months fly by, the good news is my health has been doing great!..Not so much new news on the car. Still in the garage. I put a cover on it to keep the dust off..I tell myself there are three things happening this summer, I turn 50, loose about 25lbs and get the Torino on the road...LOL..
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2013 at 4:49PM
Good to hear your better health wise! Now get thst car done! What stage are you at now?
ThunderOnTheRoad429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThunderOnTheRoad429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2013 at 5:43PM
I posted this question but couldn't find it so I'll ask again... If you watch Savage Sunday where Starsky gets his tires slashed,  What center cap is on that wheel?  Anybody? thanks
Waylon & Buddy
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2013 at 6:42AM
see reply under Starsky & Hutch forum topic:

Starsky's 5 slot wheels & center caps

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2014 at 4:46PM
Have to send out a search party for Gary! Gary where are you and how's the car??
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2015 at 2:50PM
Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen! Sorry I've been absent from the site for some time. I was out of work for several months recouping from some abdominal surgery over the past winter.
Good news is that I still have the car, just haven't done anything with it in quite some time. I got a nice cover for it to keep the dust off though.
I'm hoping to get reenergized to get this bad boy finished, especially since it and the show have hit the 40year anniversary..
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2015 at 11:41PM

Good hearing from ya Gary... here's wishing you a speedy recovery so you can get your S&H LE back on the road! Beer

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
GaryFi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GaryFi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2024 at 3:13PM
Well well well, just when some of you may have thought I dropped off the face of the earth (or worse) it is true, I am finally back! I always told myself if I didn’t get this car done while I was working that it would be my retirement project. So, I retired in 2020 and a couple weeks ago, started hitting the car hard. I went through my pile of parts I’ve collected over the years to remind myself what I actually had already sitting around.
After wire wheeling and undercoating the underbody, I had the transmission rebuild, cleaned, painted and installed. New U-joints and driveshaft painted. Front bumper rechromed and attached along with a NOS grill and turn signals and refinished trim. Same for rear bumper, and trim pieces. New fuel tank, lines, and fuel pump installed. New radiator and hoses, heater hoses, thermostat and water pump. New battery, starter, selenoid, alternator and belts. 
I just removed the dash and am installing a new blower fan motor and heater core. Man, there is sand everywhere from previous owner’s body shop’s sand blasting. What a dirty mess! I’m going to need to spend some time blowing out air ducts and controls. Some will need to be replaced. I also just received my steering rebuild kit i.e. tie rods, ball joints, etc. that will go on, along with new hood mat.
I’ve been calling around area upholstery shops to get prices on recovering (2) bucket seats from a ‘77 Thunderbird (with power driver’s seat) to look like the factory limited edition ones. (As you may recall, my L.E. came with the white bench interior with burgundy dash and steering wheel which I am switching over to all black) If anyone knows of a place that has makes the black bucket covers please let me know. I already have the carpet, new aftermarket door panels, and headliner. I was originally just going to hire someone to install the interior items as well but after receiving a couple quotes, Holy Crap!! Prices have got up a bit since I last inquired years ago so I may try to do as much as I can myself. 
It’s great to get caught up on everyone’s projects, keep at it and don’t throw in the towel!!
I’ll post some pics when I remember how to do so on this forum..😊
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2024 at 7:17PM
It's been for ever, but I noticed your thread updated.
Crazy how time can fly! 

Mustang Market is making a lot of the interior kits these days. 
You can also try AutoKrafters.

Look on their site. They have base interior seat sets and the Brougham seat covers as well. 

I was looking for seat foam, and I don't know if you can potentially use 60's galaxy seat foam or not. 

Distinctive Industries also specializes in 72-76 seat covers. Looks like they will send you through a distributor but notes indicate factory correct materials and patterns and priced accordingly. 

Seat foam, that's where the challenge gets and an interior shop that knows what they are doing can come into play. 

Regarding pictures, when you upload them, you can also size them for conformity and it will keep them scaled correctly. I used to use Photobucket but it's a mess these days. 

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2024 at 1:09AM
Welcome back!
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2024 at 1:57AM
Welcome back.  To post pics, we do have a tutorial here:

No need to resize any photos, it should do it automatically.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>