The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to the Forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allceayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to the Forum
    Posted: 18-August-2020 at 10:15AM
Good afternoon it is a pleasure to join up.

My wife purchased a 1972 Ford LTD for me as a birthday present.

It belonged to the parents of a lady that my wife went to high school with.

They ordered and purchased new from factory.  It has been always been in my wife's friends life.  Her father drove it to work in it everyday, they went to church in it and took all family trips in it.

The father passed away 8 years ago and the mother did not drive so it has sat in the driveway all this time.

A year ago I was asked if I would possibly like to purchase.  I went checked it out got it back into running state (only needed a battery).  Washed, drove and decided I would go ahead and pick it up.

We then discussed price and could not come to agreement (reg had not been done in all that time) due to fees.  

So I left it alone and moved on.  Well the mother passed away two months ago and they are selling house.  Which means car needs to go.  Wife's friend called her to ask if I would be interested.  My wife without asking bought for my birthday.

Now this is not a car I would seek out.  I have not been a Ford person and as well its a four door.  

However I do believe that things happen for a reason.  I was not looking for this car the first time and I really was not looking for it the second time.  If my wife would have asked me I would have told her not to buy it (partly because I was sour they did not sell to me in the first place).  But it found its was to me.    
So my family and I will now help this car continue on its journey.

Thanks for reading

Allen

Thank you very much.

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2020 at 11:49AM
Welcome Allen, those LTD's are solid old Fords, we had a 73 for many years, and that's what all of the later big 4dr body styles came from. The Crown Vic is the modern version of it. If you aren't an old Ford person, you'll learn that most of the issues are similar for all old Fords of similar years and models. So do what you can to learn about what that car needs, the maintenance etc, and begin to work with it.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2020 at 1:13PM
welcome to the forum. You found the right place for info and help on that LTD. post up some pictures we would love to see it
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2020 at 1:15PM
Thanks for sharing your story and welcome!
Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
Allceayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allceayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2020 at 3:45PM
Fantastic and thank you.

Never joined forum and have had many cars but never a ford.  I will need some guidance.

This I learned today when trying to track down a repair manual.  

So (72 RS 351) thank you for that already valuable info.  I was losing my mind trying to find the repair manual for my car.  
Everything is bunched together.  So for someone who does not understand what you explained and wants literature specific documents its a new concept.  

On that note I am looking for a good manual for my car (does not have to be free) but not sure which one would be best.

*The first challenge I am trying to solve is that the dash light, radio, wipers and clock are not working. 

**I checked the fuse box and fuses look good however I discovered the driver side window leaks.  There is evidence that is has leaked and then sat over the years on the carpet.  

The fuse that I believe is for the above mentioned looks like is has some corrosion.

Is this type of challenge common, not the leaking but the items mentioned going out with time?

Thank you 

Thank you very much.

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2020 at 4:04PM
welcome!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-August-2020 at 11:48PM
Welcome to the forum!  Thanks for sharing your story.  What engine does your Ford LTD have?  I have upgraded you to a full member, so you have full forum access.  You can post pics now too, so we love to see that big old Ford.

As for service manual, you best bet is the factory service manual.  You just need to find a 1972 Ford service manual set, they cover all 1972 Ford models.  Here is one on eBay:

Here is a CD version:

RockAuto has reprints which are cheaper than buying originals:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2020 at 12:56AM
Any water getting in the car is very bad, put that on your priority list to do something about sooner than putting it off. For leaks onto the rug, it's best to get the rug lifted to at least find the rubber drain plugs to remove then until you know it's not leaking there anymore. Those plugs are along the lowest inside edge of the rug, and a few scattered elsewhere on the floorboard. They can be found underneath and pushed up if needed, but they have to be put in from above. So work on stopping leaks past door seals etc, the firewall cowl area also has possible body seams that can over decades get rusted or the seam sealer dries up etc.

Our 73 LTD had a 351 Windsor in it, while my best friend in high school had a 72 LTD that came with a 390. I'd bet on the 390 as a guess for your car.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
Allceayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allceayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2020 at 8:51AM
Thank you so much.

It is a 400 with 2 barrel.

I will post pic ASAP just have to figure how to do.  Tried to last night but found out about the access so much appreciated.

Allenj
Thank you very much.

Allceayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allceayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2020 at 8:55AM
Thank you very much.

Allceayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allceayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2020 at 8:55AM
Hopefully loaded up correctly.

Will take some other pics and send later this evening.

Allen
Thank you very much.

Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2020 at 10:03AM
looks nice
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2020 at 11:20AM
Very nice.  
Steve M.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2020 at 11:27AM
That looks great. It even has the original hub caps, and the nice side moldings I liked the best.

Keep an eye out for those upper thin moldings, I've wanted to find those from a Ranchero, and that was a rare item few people bought.
Don
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2020 at 3:41PM
nice! i was going to guess a 400
 saw one just like that in original lighter green, today, i think it was for sale?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Allceayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allceayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2020 at 6:21PM
Cool and thanks so much for the replies
Looking for wiring diagram for this car while waiting for manuals would anyone happen to have one?  Or know where I can download one?

Thank you
Thank you very much.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2020 at 7:28PM
i think there's some diagrams on here somewhere... vince?
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2020 at 12:19PM
Yes, we have a 1972 wiring diagram that covers all Fords, not just Torinos.  It's posted in this section with most of the other reference material:

Just look for the wiring diagram thread and you can download it from their.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Allceayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allceayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2020 at 2:23AM
Thank you so much.

Apologies for the late reply.

Getting back to it after long week of home school with granddaughter.

Headed to uncles house today to do some investigating and work.

Going to pick up some basic shocks for the rear to stabilize a bit until we decide what to do with lowering etc.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Allen
Thank you very much.

Allceayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allceayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2020 at 7:18PM
Good evening sending some update pics for the LTD.

LoweredGood evening sending updates on the LTD.  Lowered
Thank you very much.

Allceayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allceayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2020 at 7:25PM
Thank you very much.

Allceayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allceayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2020 at 7:38PM
Cleaned entire car.

Painted frame rails and exhaust flat black high temp paint.  Cannot stand it when that exhaust has the rusted look.  Easy fix high temp bbq paint  Wheel wells also have to get the flat black.  Not undercoating just to much over the top.  3 .98 cent cans of flat black paint from Home Depot and a square of cardboard (to mask other areas you don't want painted) always does the trick. 

Gives it that nice clean tight look.  

**Oh and that's what you do when your broke.  Ha Ha fake it til you make it.

Rims painted gloss black.

Allen
Thank you very much.

Allceayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allceayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2020 at 7:41PM
One repair (work around) had to be done.
Had to bypass the heater core.  Will eventually change the thing but for now...
Thank you very much.

Allceayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allceayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2020 at 8:08PM
A few products to share that I have discovered so far on this journey with Bobby the LTD.
For vinyl tops the only thing I found that worked to bring back my vinyl top is NU Vinyl.  It was washed all the way out almost grey this brought back the original green color.  I tested everything available and the even some homemade fixes.  Nothing worked as good.  3 month into applying still looking good.

Now this may sound crazy but instead of paying for that clay bar kit.  Leave it alone.  I used Plumbers putty and a 50/50 mixture of Dawn and water for lubricant.  Came out awesome.  It worked just as good if not better than the Mothers clay kit.  The only reason I know is to my cousin and I tried the Mothers first when I first got the car.  Was still rough so I tried this method.  Came out clean.  The putty breaks down with the soap combo as lubricant.  But for the 1.97 that the putty cost no problem. 
Thank you very much.

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2020 at 1:19PM
Very nice, and great work.
Don
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2020 at 3:15PM
Nice ride.  
Allceayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allceayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 6:19AM
Thank you.

Allen
Thank you very much.

Allceayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allceayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 6:20AM
Thank you

Allen
Thank you very much.

J Moore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 12:21PM
Welcome to the forum !  You have a nice car there.  It's possible that 400 might have the Windsor small block bolt pattern. Early 72 400s had it.  J.
Allceayt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allceayt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 3:06PM
Cool and interesting for us so that we all know and just because it would be cool.

How do you check for that.
Thank you very much.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>