The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Big Block Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

73' GTS 400 to 460 Swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
CJJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73' GTS 400 to 460 Swap
    Posted: 22-February-2021 at 6:43AM
not sure I talked to you about motor mounts you might be willing to sell for my 460 swap? I have a 76, also wondering if you tried headers or went stock exhaust? Curtis 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2020 at 7:07PM
they are basically a carter AFB knockoffWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2020 at 3:36PM
Thanks, I did literally only look at mine once. It wouldn't start after about 30 seconds of trying, some off gas, some WOT, some pumping. It didn't try/hit once, so I pulled the air cleaner up to look close at it. I slightly moved the throttle to see if it pumped anything. I saw some so stopped and put it back together, tried once more, and quit. Parked uphill slightly, and the gauge showing low, I waited until I could get some gas and try again. The next time it did fire and the gauge showed half, with 4.5 gallons added.

Thanks for the short review of the carb, I'll confirm the pump is spraying a decent amount before starting it near future. It looked a little dirty, so it's could be any age etc. The engine was supposedly built about nine years ago, and not driven much. I'm 30 years past the last time I drove an old car with a carb, it takes some time to get used to each one I remember.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
73GTSman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTSman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2020 at 12:52PM
The carb on mine is 750 Eddy that I had to go through for a friend. It runs perfect now but is not mine and not staying on this engine. They are very simple to make good as new but can be very finicky after a few years of use. The only real drawback is the refresh kit from Edelbrock is $45, and doesn't come with the accelerator pump, if you need one. The Edelbrocks have very small passages in the main body, that can and will clog easily. Also, there is a rubber seal around the accelerator pump, that will deteriorate rather quickly from new, and stop squirting gas. This is where the hard starts come from. 
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2020 at 9:50AM
Excellent, great job. That looks like a perfect fit, no big space issues with these cars.

BTW, do you know how to work on the Edelbrock carb? I have a new 73 that I just looked over last week and noticed the carb, I've never worked with those. Mine doesn't start easily, and I'm thinking the fast idle isn't set right, and the choke may not be closed fully either. I haven't done anything yet, not sure if the carb was new with the rebuilt engine, or well used etc.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
73GTSman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTSman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2020 at 2:27AM
Moving over from the newbie forum to 72'-73' forum. Here are some new (yesterday) pics of my 400 to 460 swap. I had most of the necessary parts laying around from gathering so much Ford stuff over the years. Since I have a 400 car, the correct C6 was already in place. Digging through my parts pile, I found three sets of (factory Ford) the correct mounts and multiple sets of exhaust manifolds that fit just fine. I bought Crites mounts a couple years back but didn't use them here; factory Ford mounts fit the bill perfectly.

I found the swap to pretty straight forward and the car easy to work on (except for the A/C box). The engine is 472 I built earlier this year, that I was using on a run stand to check carburetors. I'm still finishing up some loose ends but for the most part, it done. If any of you guys are contemplating a 429/460 swap, feel free to ask me any and all the questions you want. 

Post Reply Post Reply