The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrade to power windows, 72 formal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade to power windows, 72 formal
    Posted: 23-September-2020 at 3:41PM
Pulling the parts from a 73 montego formal roof with factory power windows all around.

1.) Is formal roof glass the same for power and non-power windows?
2.) The motors have a C5 part number so Ford had been using them for several years already. Are these motors serviceable? Are there replacement motors?
3.) Any successful upgrades to power done out there or am I on a fools errand?

Thanks for reading!
Gold73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2020 at 3:55PM
If you need any more parts for your electric window project I have a 72 Montego I’m going to part out that has electric windows.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2020 at 2:56AM
The window motors are the easiest part of the project, those are common and available rebuilt OEM from eBay. I bought a few for about $35 each long ago. They are rebuildable like later Fords, only the plastic gear parts typically wear out. The three main driving pucks cost under $10, those should be replaced about every ten years.

The wiring is the tough part, take your time pulling those wires, they are needed and precious. I bought mine in the mid 80's when I was collecting parts from JYd's. My newest 73 has power windows, and they placed the switches in the non-Torino console. I just got it so I have no idea what it has for wiring, and how the filled the door panel hole, or if it was a power window model before.

You can basically use any window switches you like, if they are Ford circuitry and you want it different from factory. You have to have the large gauge wiring like factory systems have, 12ga I think most are.

I'm planning to use Mark VII window switches in my keeper truck, those are black and in the console together.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2020 at 3:25AM
There is a relay mounted on the firewall.  Make sure you have that. Very hard to find.  And if you find it get ready to pay 75-125 for it
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2020 at 4:00AM
I would replace any old pre-80's relays with common interchangeable 90's Ford OEM relays. I have owned many Mark VII's, and those have bad relay systems, Ford basically stuck a unique relay, scattered all over the car, for various circuits. The internals(guts) of most relays are the same, very few exceptions for OEM Ford relays. The 80's Fords purposefully had external plastic pieces that made them not possible to swap around. You could waste lots of time with a Dremel and cut off the offending bits, but don't.

The 90's Fords began a much better electrical system, for servicing and swapping for any cars. Most of those relays are in one under hood box(PDB), with a few extra relay boxes elsewhere that group relays together. All of those relays(two sizes, one big square one and one rectangular about half the size), they swap among each other, and are equally reliable, and capable of the same current circuits.

For one relay, it's easiest to buy a parts store relay with adequate current capacity, such as 40 amps or 50, or 80 amps. Those are common and have a pigtail of wiring with them an cost under $10-$15 usually.

The Ford relays from a 90's car will be old generally, so they might be okay short term, but I'm replacing most of mine with new relays now(I own five of those Fords). On eBay it's run about $15 each for those, and I need to buy more too.

Here's a 95 Crown Vic that I added a PDB to for extra circuits for me use as a mail vehicle. The other kinds of relay boxes(under dash, quarter panel etc) are made of modular components, they can be taken apart and assembled into different shapes of boxes). I did such things for my other 99 Explorer work truck.

Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2020 at 4:04AM
Originally posted by 72GTS351CJ 72GTS351CJ wrote:

There is a relay mounted on the firewall.  Make sure you have that. Very hard to find.  And if you find it get ready to pay 75-125 for it

I'm guessing this relay is mounted on the interior side, correct? Do you know if there is a part# on it?

Thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2020 at 11:49AM
I was surprised to find 3 on Ebay.  The least expensive being 50+10 shipping.  Its mounted under the hood to the left of the master cylinder 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2020 at 11:50AM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2020 at 3:42PM
There are differences in the side door glass. Some have a flat bottom and some have an arch cut in the bottom for extra clearance. Read this thread here and it goes into detail on the differences in the side glass and has lots of pics:

Edited by 72FordGTS - 24-September-2020 at 4:04PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-September-2020 at 5:06PM
from what i understand you can swap motors left to right and use the non power flat bottom glass??? carl and sal did that...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2020 at 2:35AM
Thanks John, that helps me. I plan for power windows in one of mine, and one doesn't have them. I have some extra windows but I think they are from 77-79's.
Don
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2020 at 6:03AM
the later glass might be the same as 72-76 ?
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2020 at 9:33AM
The power window glass and hardware along with the wiring harness from the Montego/power windows/locks was successfully removed including the power window relay. Am I faced with having to swap out the ENTIRE wiring harnesses? Is there a better/easier way? 

Happy Halloween!!!!!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2020 at 12:31PM
have you looked to see if the power window wiring is present in your car?

many/most if not all cars, all i've seen, have the wiring present with manual crank windows
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2020 at 1:54PM
that full wiring harness is for power seats/windows/locks/speakers. if you have factory wiring in your doors it can be plugged into that.
 if not then you'll need to add that whole harness
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2020 at 7:25AM
My '72 formal has it's stock harness, it's a 11/71 build car, so it's an early build. I sure hope the harness has those connections. That will be the next thing I check! Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply