The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newest guy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newest guy
    Posted: 20-November-2020 at 6:57PM
Hello, everyone...

Haven’t officially taken ownership of my 73 gran sport q code yet, but I figured I better start educating myself on this car. This one runs great and looks...ok. There’s some cosmetic issues that need to be dealt with right out of the gate. Buying it from a coworker that has too many projects, and has got some death anxiety setting in, lol.

As for myself I live south of Kansas City, KS, and have always wanted a Muscle car of some sort. The wife and I are planning on taking this one to a bunch of car shows, and cruising it around on our days off. Looking forward to ownership, repair/restomodding, and getting to know you guys and gals a little bit Cool!

Frank 
jherb10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherb10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2020 at 8:37AM
Welcome, Frank!!

This place has a wealth of knowledge.  Can't wait to see some pics!!

John
22 Jaguar F-Type R
18 Jaguar F-Pace
17 F250 crew cab
06 Five Hundred
03 F150 Super Crew
71 Monte Carlo SS clone
56 Pontiac Star Chief
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2020 at 9:02AM
Welcome Frank! Sounds like a fantastic idea Smile
Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2020 at 9:47AM
Yea, guess since I’m fresh meat, I can’t post pics yet, but will do ASAP.

The biggest visible issue is the rust under the vinyl top. It’s alligatored pretty bad, although not very close to the glass. Luckily there are a bunch of extra parts that come with it including a good hard top and another hood with the big scoop (‘71?), rear bumper, slotted/drilled front brake discs with ceramics, etc., etc.
There’s some rust starting around the rear wheel wells and who knows where else, lol. Dash is in bad shape.

The CJ351 sounds fantastic. Nice and smooth, no noises. C6, 9” with 3.25 gears.

Got plenty to do once I do get possession, but that’s alright. I’ve always liked the chevelles, just can’t see myself driving any more GM products, so this fits the bill quite nicely!

Frank
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2020 at 12:26PM
Welcome Frank! You've been upgraded and you can post pics. Sorry for the delay, I have been swamped lately.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2020 at 12:36PM
No worries, sir!
WerbyFord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WerbyFord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2020 at 4:13PM
Nice!
I've heard these really wake up if you advance the cam, as it was factory retarded for smog.

Also, the 4300A carburetor wants to be floored pretty much every time you're out (good excuse) or fuel in the the secondary piston well turn gooey & gum up and then you have a 2-bbl. If your 4300D is the same way, make sure that secondary air valve stays freed up.

The ones I've tried also run better if you ditch, er, I mean STORE (not throw away like we did back in the day) the big IMCO air cleaner & use a rounded ski-jump base 14x3 open air cleaner. 

Just easy stuff to try, along with jets & timing of course. 

Have you had the car on the scale? I guess they were pretty heavy by 1973. 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2020 at 4:17PM
welcome! nice looking car Big smile i see some bubbles under the topCry
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2020 at 4:21PM
No, haven’t weighed it. As stated, I won’t take possession until early next year. He wants to fix a few odd and ends on it first. I’m thinking pretty hard about putting a sniper on it. Fuel injection doesn’t scare me, and I’m kind spoiled by it, lol.

Oh, was wondering if you guys could tell me...it has chrome valve covers on it, but I believe them to be factory, because it has the powered by Ford script on it. Did they come like that, or did someone either chrome them or buy factory aftermarket ones?

Frank
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2020 at 4:22PM
Yep, it’s bubbled up pretty bad..

Frank
WerbyFord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WerbyFord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2020 at 4:28PM
Originally posted by Bueller Bueller wrote:

No, haven’t weighed it. As stated, I won’t take possession until early next year. He wants to fix a few odd and ends on it first. I’m thinking pretty hard about putting a sniper on it. Fuel injection doesn’t scare me, and I’m kind spoiled by it, lol.

Oh, was wondering if you guys could tell me...it has chrome valve covers on it, but I believe them to be factory, because it has the powered by Ford script on it. Did they come like that, or did someone either chrome them or buy factory aftermarket ones?

Frank

All the factory covers I remember are PowerbyFord (which is where WerbyFord comes from), not PoweredbyFord. But they may have changed that some time in the 1970s.

IIRC they still called it the 351CJ in 1973 so chrome would make sense but I'm not sure.

Chrome Covers

Blue Covers

Both have the chrome air cleaner lid. Not sure which is correct.

Edited by WerbyFord - 21-November-2020 at 4:36PM
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2020 at 2:49AM
Welcome Frank, I hope you and your wife enjoy that car.

There are tons of choices for valve covers for the Cleveland, the VC is something I loved about the 351C. I have the FMS covers that say Ford Motorsports, my choice. There are many others, if you look around you might find something you like better. Note many are flat on top, I always thought that was cool versus plan, rounded etc.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
J Moore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2020 at 6:57AM
Welcome to the forum !  I've never seen any factory stamped PBF rocker covers that were chrome plated.  Not saying there wasn't tho. However the 70-71 Boss and/or H.O. 351s Did have Ribbed Flat Top Cast Aluminum rocker covers from factory.  Sometime in 1975-76 the "Power By" was dropped leaving just the oval Ford stamp.  J.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2020 at 7:02AM
Originally posted by J Moore J Moore wrote:

Welcome to the forum !  I've never seen any factory stamped PBF rocker covers that were chrome plated.  Not saying there wasn't tho. However the 70-71 Boss and/or H.O. 351s Did have Ribbed Flat Top Cast Aluminum rocker covers from factory.  Sometime in 1975-76 the "Power By" was dropped leaving just the oval Ford stamp.  J.

Did the factory VC's have any script on them? The newest 73 I got last year has the type with 351 Cleveland on them, I like these a lot too.

Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2020 at 7:53AM
Welcome and enjoy all the information and conversations. 
Nice car. 
Steve M.
J Moore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2020 at 11:06AM
That's a nice looking motor !  The factory Aluminum covers had no external markings.  I have seen decals on them indicating Boss 351. J.

Edited by J Moore - 22-November-2020 at 11:31AM
J Moore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2020 at 5:19PM
These are on my 72 GTS Q. Genuine FoMoCo. They were on engine when I bought car Big smile. J.
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2020 at 5:16AM
welcome frank!!

---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
 Post Reply Post Reply