The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from Kansas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s3hoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Kansas
    Posted: 10-January-2021 at 2:10AM
Hello all,
I'm in the process of evaluating a restoration of my '73 Gran Torino, white, 2 dr with a 351C 2v.  I've owned the car since about 1988.  It has been parked since '95 on my in-law's farm.  The rust and rats took their toll over the years and I'm finally at a place where I can maybe tackle fixing it up. Hoping I can get my 15 year old son interested in helping me but the smart devices have control over his interests right now.  

Thanks for having me! 

-Scott
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2021 at 2:29AM
Welcome Scott! I have upgraded you to a full member so you have full forum privilege's and can post pics.  
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2021 at 3:37AM
Welcome to the forum, Scott, we do love pics so be sure to post some as soon as you can.  Ref your son, put some tools in his hands and get them dirty, he may just discover something better than electronic distractions that actually accomplishes something.  Good luck with the car, lots of help and advice here.
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2021 at 4:04AM
Welcome Scott, and best of luck getting your son involved with you. Find something that he likes about cars, and see if you can find an angle that will peak his interest, like a stereo system.

I had four door speakers in my 72 Gran Torino, those with flat door panels have a perfect spot at the rear for big round speakers. If your son loves music, maybe he'd like to tackle the stereo, which in those all of the components need to be replaced(wiring etc). That would have him working all over the interior, which the restoration process is in the way of(hint).
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
s3hoch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s3hoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2021 at 4:18AM
Here she is, as she sits.  It's going to be a project.  It was parked due to backfiring when I was quite young, newly married,and penniless to fix it.  I finally have reached a spot in life where I have the space, money, and time that I can at least give it a shot.  

I think I can handle the engine rebuild attempt and interior.  Body isn't my thing but I'm willing to learn.  Recently I had him put together some furniture and he took to the tools immediately and even figured out some of the harder challenges he was faced with on his own, so I'm hoping this may peak his interest even further.  He's a great helper when tasked.  Hoping this will expand his skills and build up our relationship as well.  Stereo is a great idea!  I've noticed there are shaft style Bluetooth radios available, which he would love.  Maybe he talks me into some other tech too?  At a minimum, he can find youtube videos for me to watch LOL

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2021 at 4:56AM
Very good, it looks like a shop vac is one of the first steps.

For the stereo deck, most shaft types won't be that great or the choices will be very few. I'd consider accepting a DIN sized hole there and expand the choices greatly.

I bought a second Kenwood HU like one I got for my 92 Lincoln. It may work in my Ranchero if I'm lucky. It has a 7" screen that folds out, but it might not clear the dash. My HU is an older 10+ year old model, newer models come out so often it's best to look at newer choices. But I wanted the big screen and the DIN opening size, these days those are more rare now.

If your rear quarter panels, the wheel openings, are shot, you might hunt another 72-74 Gran Torino that has good front fenders. Those can be used to fix the rear openings, there's a thread here from 2013 that covered that.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2021 at 5:40AM
welcome!
 saw the first pic... hmmm pretty decent, then the second pic...Shocked but roof is good and fenders but those quarters are gone but tabco does make 73 style full lower patch panels which would fix all that lower rust mess. SAVE THOSE WHEEL TRIM... they can be restored, and hard to find replacements!!!
 sop vac hell i'd start with the stihl leaf blowerWink then finish up with the shop vac those rats and mice really pack er in thereConfused
 i have a couple local car buddy's that their sons are into it with them as well as their own car projects too and they are working on stuff together just like best friends! that's really cool to see in this day and ageThumbs Up and one of them is your son's age too.

Edited by californiajohnny - 10-January-2021 at 12:08PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
s3hoch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s3hoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2021 at 6:15AM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

Very good, it looks like a shop vac is one of the first steps.

For the stereo deck, most shaft types won't be that great or the choices will be very few. I'd consider accepting a DIN sized hole there and expand the choices greatly.
If your rear quarter panels, the wheel openings, are shot, you might hunt another 72-74 Gran Torino that has good front fenders. Those can be used to fix the rear openings, there's a thread here from 2013 that covered that.

Shop vac for sure!  My first step is actually inside.  I'll vacuum out a significant rabbit/mouse dung pile, remove the seat, (deal with whatever I find under it), rip out the carpet and get a good look at the floorpans.  

Stereo: I prefer that old school look.  Adding a screen in there, as cool as it could be, kind of makes me cringe, no offense.  I'll definitely be looking to add some sound though.  My old 6x9's in the shelf are g.o.n.e. and I managed to work in a stereo store at one point so I can certainly get the windows rattling again.  

Great tip on the wheel openings.  They are pretty much shot and I've been wondering about alternatives. Any link you could provide would be great...I'm still browsing/bookmarking a few hundred articles.  I can tell already this will be a great resource.  

Thank you all for the warm welcome.  My third garage that will be the workspace, is packed with stuff until my oldest son moves said stuff out in July, but in the meantime I'll be prepping and scouring.  
s3hoch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s3hoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2021 at 6:37AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

welcome!
 saw the first pic... hmmm pretty decent, then the second pic...Shocked but roof is good and fenders but those quarters are gone but tabco does make 73 style full lower patch panels which would fix all that lower rust mess. SAVE THOSE WHEEL TRIM... they can be restored, and hard to find replacements!!!
 sop vac hell i'd start with the sthil leaf blowerWink then finish up with the shop vac those rats and mice really pack er in thereConfused
 i have a couple local car buddy's that their sons are into it with them as well as their own car projects too and they are working on stuff together just like best friends! that's really cool to see in this day and ageThumbs Up and one of them is your son's age too.

Thanks John - I've started to call it Darth Vader:  There's a lot of bad but if you look close there's a whole lot of good in there too.  Will save that wheel trim! 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2021 at 12:06PM
Originally posted by s3hoch s3hoch wrote:

Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

welcome!
 sop vac hell i'd start with the sthil leaf blowerWink then finish up with the shop vac those rats and mice really pack er in thereConfused

Thanks John - I've started to call it Darth Vader:  There's a lot of bad but if you look close there's a whole lot of good in there too.  Will save that wheel trim! 

yes nobody repops them!!! i've sold any dinged up ones i get for $50EA. fast as i can find them!
 mine were missing and i paid $625 for a used set for my car (later sold them) as i came across a find of a lifetime... set of 4 NOS wheel trimShocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2021 at 3:43AM
Welcome Scott! Reminds me of my 79 Ranchero I used to have. Had been sitting on a family farm in Kansas and had my share of nests and rust to clean up! Can't wait to see your progress.
Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2021 at 1:56PM
Welcome to the group. Your going to have a great time with that one. 
Steve M.
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2021 at 9:31AM
welcome.  get that 73 back on the road.  

the other guys are correct...  you will have fun getting rid of the rust and rebuilding this car
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
 Post Reply Post Reply