The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ideas for sport guages placement?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ideas for sport guages placement?
    Posted: 10-January-2021 at 8:12PM
i have a 76 Gran Torino with same instrument cluster. I’m putting in a high performance motor and want to use the Sport guages. Anyone done some good placement or ideas? I have a center console, but not sure how user friendly that would be? Thanks in advance 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2021 at 3:20PM
do you have sport gauges in your car now? or are you thinking of swapping from a standard cluster??
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2021 at 3:25PM
 if you are swapping read through this... it was super helpful when i converted to sport from std gaugesThumbs Up
 i had to swap like 3 wires in the main connector  and wire in the tach and amp gauge...

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/info-72-79-gauge-clusters-and-wiring_topic2933.html

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
CJJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2021 at 4:49PM
I was actually thinking of using them somehow separate from the instrument cluster. The one in there is basic Torino so instead of buying guages I thought maybe I could make something to use the sport guages somewhere?
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2021 at 3:30AM
I used the original sport gauge base, black bezel,and faceplate. Removed everything from the base and cut needed sections for clearance. Then I attached mounting brackets directly to the back of the bezel and mounted VDO gauges directly to the bezel. Attached the bezel w/gauges to the housing and ran the wires out the back. Installed the housing and bezel unit, then installed the faceplate as usual. Gauges didnt add much added weight to the bezel and I was able to use all the factory mounting locations to the housing which secured everything.Ran separate wires to VDO sending units and wired the dash lights in series. Gives me VDO gauges with correct sending units all in stock configuration. Saves needing to mount external gauges anywhere else. Just another option...

Allen

Edited by phordnut - 12-January-2021 at 3:52AM
CJJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2021 at 7:02AM
interesting. Can I see a pic? Thanks
phordnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phordnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2021 at 11:45AM
Unfortunately I didnt take any pics while I was working on it, and its back in the car with the car stored for the winter. But I can say that if you focus on the black bezel piece, the one that the lens attach to, it is possible to mount aftermarket gauges in those spots from the back. VDO gauges come with a metal ring that serves as a bezel. It is just large enough to keep the gauge from slipping through the hole. Then the bracket attaches to the back and presses the gauge from the back, keeping it in place. Its sandwiched between the bezel and the bracket. There is some cutting to do on the housing, to get the gauges to clear once the unit goes back together, but thats easily done with a dremel. I then simply wired the gauges independantly, using quick connects so I can connect them to the wires leading to the sending units as i installed the cluster. Lights were wired in series, and tapped into the factory harness. I wont say it was easy, but its definatly possible. Obviously your application may be different depending on what gauges you would want to use. Point being is you can attach them to the bezel, make room for them in the housing, and wire them individually. Hope that helps a bit.

Allen
CJJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2021 at 12:45PM
thanks so much Allen! Something to think about
NorthElite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2021 at 3:07AM
Based on 1978 thuderbird and aftermarket gauges.

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2021 at 6:28AM
Damn that looks sharp. Thumbs Up

Been a while!
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2021 at 7:42AM
Sweet!
NorthElite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthElite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2021 at 8:16AM
Europepean Speedometer 200km/h Wink

Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2021 at 10:35AM
Wow! Very well done. 
Steve M.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2021 at 6:22PM
that's a good idea using the 77-79 bezel as they are straight to the line of sight, but tipped out like the 72-76Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2021 at 9:59PM

Autometer guages work well for me
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

11.78 117.3mph. drag radials
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2021 at 6:47PM
that looks sweet...will be doing the same thing but with NVU aviator series gauges in the near future...

what did you use to mount the gauges...any pics without the bezel installed? tips?

in NZ we have to have the speedo converted to km/h so with that and the ammeter to voltmeter conversion it was cheaper to swap to new electronic...go figure
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2021 at 12:12PM
I pretty much did the exact same as phordnut. Ill take some pictures the next time I take it out
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

11.78 117.3mph. drag radials
 Post Reply Post Reply