The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just wanted to Say Hi I'm a new member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just wanted to Say Hi I'm a new member
    Posted: 21-January-2021 at 1:50AM
Thanks for having me in this Group I purchased a 1973 Gran Torino fastback a few months ago needs a total restore. I had a 1973 Gran Torino Fastback when I was 19 the car was 6 years old it was the Q code 351C 4 barrel 4 speed dual point factory distributor I didn't know what I had back then I sold it when I went into the Air Force and always have regretted it. So I'm trying to relive my youth with the purchase of this car I want to restore it with the same engine transmission configuration for nostalgic purposes. I know parts will be hard to find so hopefully I can lean on some of you for help. Again thanks for having me and have a Great day!
David G
1973 GTSF
1965 Falcon convertible
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2021 at 2:00AM
We appreciate your serving and welcome aboard. You have come to the right place and there are definitely parts around. While nothing is cheap, you can find what you need, whether advice, pics, or a specific part. If not for this site, I would never have gotten the car from my high school years.  It seems we have a greater appreciation fir the years gone by and cars we practucally gave away.  Looking forward to your project thread.
Vince will upgrade you and you can post pictures. 
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2021 at 2:46AM
Welcome to this great forum, we all are sharing our love of these cars. Post a few pictures when you can.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2021 at 3:21AM
Welcome to the forum!  You've been upgraded to a new member, so you have full forum privileges. 4-speed parts are hard to find, but at least they now make an aftermarket clutch pedal. Post a pic of you Torino when you have a chance.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2021 at 4:33AM
Go to the hydraulic clutch setup. You will be glad you did.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2021 at 5:06AM
 welcome!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2021 at 9:04AM
Welcome and thank you for your service. 
Steve M.
J Moore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2021 at 11:20PM
Welcome to the forum and I also Thank You for your service.  J.
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2021 at 12:48PM
Welcome!
Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
normand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2021 at 5:02AM
Welcome to the site.  Your statement "relive my youth" is the reason many of us are here.  I had a 72 GTS in high school and college.  And I too regretted selling her.  Mine was a red Sportsroof, laser stripe, H code.  I bought a 72 GTS Q code C6 in 2008 and had a frame on restoration.  Sometimes I tell others she looks just like mine from high school, then I usually correct myself and say, actually this one looks much better.
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2021 at 9:31AM
Welcome!! I as well had this car in h.s... No better feeling than owning one again 
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2021 at 9:26AM
Welcome aboard...  post some pics when you get a chance...

And i like the spelling of your name... are we related?

---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2021 at 4:37PM
Originally posted by legend onirot legend onirot wrote:

Welcome aboard...  post some pics when you get a chance...

And i like the spelling of your name... are we related?

LOL i saw that too and thought what? oh ok...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2021 at 2:46PM
Welcome!
(and I thought to myself "That's a lot of Onion rot." Big smile)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2021 at 3:42PM
 LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1973onirot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2021 at 10:06AM
David G
1973 GTSF
1965 Falcon convertible

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2021 at 10:13AM
Here are some pictures of my Torino I posted all of the bad stuff it has a few dings here and there luckily the trunk is just surface rust the quarters need some love but the doors and fenders seem to be good. The floor pans have some rust just small half dollar size holes nothing I can't patch pretty easily. I need to find a new dash panel the plastic part were the air conditioner controls are and the radio area I believe this is one whole panel I haven't torn into it. I would like to fix this car back as best that I can without breaking the bank but I know parts are going to be expensive if I can even find them. 
David G
1973 GTSF
1965 Falcon convertible

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2021 at 11:11AM
You have your hands full for sure. Labor is more than parts and there are parts around. Lots of parts fit 72-73. Necessities first. One bite at a time.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2021 at 5:47PM
yes the dash surround is all one piece, if its just cracked you can glue it with ABS pipe glue from the local hardware storeWink
Medium Black ABS Cement 8 fl. oz. RV Plumbing Solvent Cement Pipe Bonding Glue
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2021 at 1:21AM
This car will be a piece of cake compared to the Falcon convertible that I'm redoing there wasn't much left but I'm stubborn. I'm seriously thinking of putting the Falcon on hold and starting on the Torino once my new shop is built. I'm going to do a frame off so it will take a while I just hope my old back holds up.
David G
1973 GTSF
1965 Falcon convertible

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2021 at 1:23AM
Unfortunately the dash is missing small pieces were the a/c controls are and were the radio is. Hopefully I can find one in better shape I might have to get creative and fab some kind of cover up.
David G
1973 GTSF
1965 Falcon convertible

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2021 at 1:26AM
I just realized I was hitting the wrong button to reply the dash is missing a couple of small pieces at the A/C controls and radio.  Hopefully I can find one in better shape if not I will have to get creative with some kind of cover up.
David G
1973 GTSF
1965 Falcon convertible
hogfiddles View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2021 at 2:09AM
dave, I have at least one (Possibly two....I’ll hafta check again) complete dash surround.... yes it does have some repairs, but otherwise solid.

Shipping might be pricey since I’m in NY, near Utica)..unless youre out this way at all—-

Dfox
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2021 at 7:02AM
Thanks I will keep that in mind I need to pull the piece out to see how bad it is. I know one of the other guys said it is all one piece but I'm not sure what one piece includes that's why I need to start pulling it apart but right now I don't have a house or shop waiting on them both to be built. I might get this project started in the fall maybe. I really like this group I've never belonged to one before everyone seems to be very helpful maybe I will be able to return the favor some day.
 David
David G
1973 GTSF
1965 Falcon convertible
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2021 at 7:34AM
The top of the dash is removable with a few screws along it. The rest of the dash is one large part with various sheet metal holding it together. So the dash is fragile, but the top pad is fairly easy to work with.

Note the VIN tag is on the dash pad using unique special rivets. I bought a spare dash pad decades back, and saved the old rivets, in case I can figure out how to attach them, onto the new dash pad.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
hogfiddles View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2021 at 8:58AM
Vin tag is not in the dash pad. It is in the metal filler piece between the dash pad and the windshield
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2021 at 9:02AM
I remember reading about a company that will make a new VIN plate for the dash with correct numerals and letters plus the rivets. You need proof of ownership and some other paperwork to get it but it is legit. Pretty sure I read it somewhere on this site.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2021 at 10:16AM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

I remember reading about a company that will make a new VIN plate for the dash with correct numerals and letters plus the rivets. You need proof of ownership and some other paperwork to get it but it is legit. Pretty sure I read it somewhere on this site.

Thanks, that's a path I tried to get done by going through the Ford service department, a representative they said they'd ask about it with. I tried that in the late 80's, and never got a response.

The 72 dash pad from my original Gran Torino is in my first 73 Ranchero. I put the old Ranchero dash pad into my Gran Torino with the rest of the black interior, and sold that car.

The VIN plate is in the dash pad metal section that shows at the windshield, on my old 72 GT, and my current 73 Ranchero. I have that VIN plate in my old toolbox, and the drilled out special rivets. I learned all of that in 1987.
Don
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2021 at 6:20PM
i've replaced the vin tag when changing out a rusty metal dash piece
how i did it...
 very carefully separate it from the rivets from the back side, leaving the rivets in the metal, then with the vin plate off re-flatten the hole area, then  drill the holes out just enough to slip back over the swelled rivets leaving them in place, then place a dolly or solid metal piece under the outer rivet head to back it up, then with the plate in place just hammer the swelled back side of the rivets so they hold the plate in place Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply