The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'68 torino nuetral safety switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muaythai41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '68 torino nuetral safety switch
    Posted: 31-January-2009 at 6:20PM
Hey guys,

I'm new to this site and did some serching to make sure this hasn't been asked before.  I'm trying to find out if anyone knows where to find a nuetral safety switch for a '68 Torino, column shift, with a 302.  I have looked at some online stores which have a part number D1PZ-7A247-A NOS from Motorcraft, problem is, I have a C8AA-7A247-H made by Autolite. There is also an ED-842450 stamped on the back plate, but i can't cross that number anywhere.   The D1PZ part looks like there is an accuator which comes out of the column and into the switch, and the C8AA part I have has a plastic piece which comes out of the switch an into the column.  This plastic piece is what is broken...  There are a few places that sell the D1PZ as "for a '68 Torino with colum shift" but I wanted to know if anyone is familar with this and if they can swap over before I drop the money on it.

Any help would be great,
Mr. Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2009 at 3:14AM
I have several switches for early '60s Fords sitting on the shelf and they all carry different part numbers but they all look alike to me. They all have the plastic post that sticks out the back of the switch that is moved by the acctuator sticking up out of the column. The switches I have also have two different wiring arrangements. One type is four male connectors that gets a plug attached while the other type has the four plug pigtail coming out of it. (The four terminals are two for the neutral switch while the other two are for the back-up lights for cars so equipped). Now while the D1 is for a '71 model Fords and the C8 is for the '68 model Fords, the D1 may substitute nicely. Take your old one with you and physically compare them. Good luck.

Later!
Mr. Ed
1971 Torino 500 302 C4
 Post Reply Post Reply