The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1973 Gran Torino Brougham Edition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Gran Torino Brougham Edition
    Posted: 25-March-2021 at 6:13AM
Hey all, 

I'm currently fixing up a 1973 Gran Torino Brougham Edition and I'm going to surprise my grandparents when it's done.  It was my grandpa's sister's car she bought new, my grandpa Don bought it from her and had some dreams that never got done.  He sold the farm and we found her in the barn under tarps.   We did a whole frame off resto on it.  The body work is almost done and back on the frame.  Motor is rebuilt but I still need to find a few parts and pieces (mainly interior stuff, as well as radiator, A pillars, gas tank etc.)  I'm excited to chat with everyone and continue learning.  If anyone has any good places to get parts let me know!  I'm not gonna lie; I'm pretty pumped to surprise my grandparents with the car when its done!  We are painting next week.  :)

Bre
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2021 at 6:28AM
   Welcome aboard. Sounds like it would be a sweet presentation video just to see the look on his face. There are parts sources here for sure. Interior may be harder to get but mechanicals are plentiful. Post pics when you're membership is upgraded. 
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2021 at 7:09AM
Yes welcome, show the pictures when you can.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2021 at 8:42AM
yeah, there are some of us here who have stockpiles of parts — let us know exactly what you’re looking for!

Dfox
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
Bre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2021 at 9:16AM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

Welcome aboard. Sounds like it would be a sweet presentation video just to see the look on his face. There are parts sources here for sure. Interior may be harder to get but mechanicals are plentiful. Post pics when you're membership is upgraded. 

Awesome thanks!! I will.  I'm pumped to show you guys what it looks like as pieces, right now and then  after we paint it! We are doing it all ourselves except the motor rebuild.  
Bre
Bre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2021 at 9:17AM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

Yes welcome, show the pictures when you can.

I definitely will! 
Bre
Bre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2021 at 9:24AM
Originally posted by hogfiddles hogfiddles wrote:

yeah, there are some of us here who have stockpiles of parts — let us know exactly what you’re looking for!

Dfox

AWESOME!!  The hardest part has been the seats and exterior trim.  The trim I have can be used but its definitely got some miles on it.  There is some pitting but mainly on the hidden portions of the trim so that works out but its already started so its only a matter of time before it really starts to wear.  The original seats have a fold down arm rest and its been almost impossible finding seat covers to go over the foam and frame.  there is actually a post on seat belts in here that has a pretty close picture to what ours looks like!   If anyone has a A pillars, a gas tank or radiator that's on the list yet too LOL we just keep picking away.   Its been a fun car to mess with.  We have a 59 Edsel too but that's a whole other story! 
Bre
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2021 at 12:17PM
Welcome! What an awesome thing you are doing. It will all be completely worth it. Looking forward to seeing the pics!
Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2021 at 2:10PM
Welcome aboard! I have upgrade you to a new member so you can post pics now. What an awesome gesture to fix up the car for your grandparents.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2021 at 9:44PM
welcome! start a build thread in the projects section...
 i have some parts!  i have several good radiators... shipping on that may cost a bitCry
 but i have some A pillar pieces,, you'd need to paint them your interior color probably
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Bre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2021 at 1:25AM
Originally posted by dan0R30 dan0R30 wrote:

Welcome! What an awesome thing you are doing. It will all be completely worth it. Looking forward to seeing the pics!

I cant wait for them to see it!  They go to a bunch of car shows so we figure he will cruise around in it to all the shows for fun.  Only catch 22 is his eyes are giving him some grief so we wanna make sure its done in enough time to still take her for a run! 
Bre
Bre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2021 at 1:27AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Welcome aboard! I have upgrade you to a new member so you can post pics now. What an awesome gesture to fix up the car for your grandparents.

Hey thanks! I might start a post just to throw the progress pictures in and talk about what we have done so far!  This is the first full body frame off resto I have seen/ worked on so its been a really cool experience so far.
Bre

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2021 at 2:10AM
Definitely start a project thread for sure. It will be much easier to follow along.
Bre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2021 at 2:32AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

welcome! start a build thread in the projects section...
 i have some parts!  i have several good radiators... shipping on that may cost a bitCry
 but i have some A pillar pieces,, you'd need to paint them your interior color probably

Nice!  Ill put together a list of stuff and start a few new posts!  See where it goes.  
Bre
Bre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2021 at 2:34AM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

Definitely start a project thread for sure. It will be much easier to follow along.

That's my next step!  I'm working through the forum right now and getting all my pictures together so far.  Its been pretty cool seeing it evolve from square one. 

Bre
Bre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2021 at 10:27AM
Here she is when we first found her! Ill post the rest in the Project thread!  

Bre
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2021 at 11:22AM
Originally posted by Bre Bre wrote:

Here she is when we first found her! Ill post the rest in the Project thread!

Great family story. Looking forward to seeing the progress. Just curious, did all Broughams come with the rear quarter panel fender skirts or was that just an option?
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
JackC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JackC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-March-2021 at 11:55AM
Welcome to the forum Bre!
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2021 at 2:16AM
It looks like you had a pretty solid starting point. I am looking forward to your project thread.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Bre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2021 at 6:38AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

It looks like you had a pretty solid starting point. I am looking forward to your project thread.

Oh yeah! The body was in decent shape.  Lots of hidden stuff though so we did completely sand down and fine tune the body work.  Cut some rust off and re built the fenders.  Its definitely been a project. 

Bre
Bre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2021 at 6:54AM
Originally posted by JackC JackC wrote:

Welcome to the forum Bre!

Thanks!  Im excited to share a long the way. 
Bre
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2021 at 7:10AM
Do you have all of the lower body trim? I ask because I have collected much of it for my project, and I also have three more random pieces coming. These may be all for a 73 2dr, the description wasn't clear, no part numbers. I need the one door piece for sure, but the quarter panel trim is 26" long, and I think my Ranchero has longer quarters(same as a station wagon). I haven't measured it in years, I don't remember the details.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2021 at 7:13AM
Well done. Having a large space is key to this kind of project.
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2021 at 1:37PM
welcome bre!  i wish they kept a record of how many broughams they made.  our original family car was a brougham.  i restored my stacylynn back to what our original car was... except for the brougham emblems.  awesome what you are doing
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
 Post Reply Post Reply