The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disc Brake options for 1968 Torino?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JackOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disc Brake options for 1968 Torino?
    Posted: 28-March-2021 at 7:00PM
Hi

Building a 1968 Torino Fastback and want to rebuild steering and add the orig disc brakes while I'm at it. Can anyone tell me what options I have? btw there is a 1971 ranchero that showed up a few days ago at Pick Your Part -brakes may be gone by now but hope to look for all options possible as new vehicles pop in if anyone can help?
I have 14" stock Gt Wheels btw if that matters... Thank you so much !
Jack H
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2021 at 8:36PM
not sure ... bird would know Wink
idk maybe 70/71 torino and similar mustangs??? spindles and rotors complete and matching prop valve and booster/ master for the set up you go withWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
hogfiddles View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2021 at 1:14PM
I don’t have the exact yrs in my brain anymore, but if you do some searching, you’ll find the info——- some Ford Granada spindle/disc assemblies are an upgrade/retro-fit.  I was investigating that quite deeply years ago as a possibility for my ‘69.
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
JackC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JackC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2021 at 1:22PM
Hi Jack! The Pick Your Part off of Beach Blvd? 

JackOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JackOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2021 at 3:02PM
Hi yes, it's a 73 actually.... at beach blvd anaheim
Jack H
JackC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JackC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2021 at 1:13PM
73? Darn, thought I might be able to use some parts for my 70 Torino. Thanks though!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2021 at 2:40PM
72 GT Ute

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2021 at 3:00PM
as I recall, 68-69 is different than 70-71, 72 had their own things into ‘73 then there were changes in 73 that went through 76.
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
JackOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JackOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2021 at 3:44PM
They get them once in awhile... I think there is still a pretty much gutted 71 at Ontario too
Jack H
mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2021 at 8:01AM
Hello.

A couple things to keep in mind with this swap.

Frist thing, if you are going to keep your GT wheels, you cannot use the Granada / Monarch spindles as they upgraded the wheel bearings and the rotor is too big to fit into the 14 inch wheel center.

Otherwise, the Granada & Monarch spindles are still a good option if you can find them as they have the bigger wheel bearings and tie rods.

All the 65 up (I think), drum brake spindles are basically the same design wise, and by using the matching tie rod for what ever year spindle you have, they will basically interchange between all the shock tower cars.

There is an early small pin tie rod, and a late big pin tie rod, I forget the year it changed.

If you use your existing drum brake spindle, Wildwood, and other vendors make a couple nice kits, relatively cheap and bolt on.

The 1970 4 bolt backing plate (drum) spindle is the beefiest of all the stock spindles, and the SCCA allows that spindle to be back fit on older cars in competition, with no modifications.

Any of the early 3 bolt factory (disc) brake spindles and matching rotor / caliper combinations are also bolt on propositions, but the factory replacement disc brake parts have become expensive, and you still have to match the outer tie rod end to you spindle,,, depending on exactly what parts you're using. 

Also, you can buy a ball joint ream, and open up the early spindles to the late, larger pin if you are inclined to want to use items you have, not that I would do that on the very early spindles like 66 Mustang Falcon.

If it were me, I would buy the Wildwood kit for the spindle that is on the car and run it. 

By the time you get a set of factory Torino or Mustang items freshened up, the cost is about the same maybe even cheaper.

I would skip a power booster and install them with a disc brake master cylinder and drive it. 

This would very closely resemble the way Ford built and sold many of these cars back in the day with non-power disc brakes.

If you want to improve stopping power, pedal effort, and pedal feel from an early factory style set up, there are several options, but they go beyond the scope of what bolts on, fits, and works.

Thanks.

Mike H.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2021 at 8:52AM
nice post, Mike!!

I saved the Granada disc assemblies years ago from my wife’s Granada just in case..... now I got the rest of the info i needed :)
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2021 at 10:55AM
Curious.
Granada spindles are a problem with 14" wheels? 
The pilot hole on the older wheels doesn't fit, but Grenades and Monarchs came with 14" wheels.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2021 at 11:21AM
it's not the wheel diameter but the center hub register. if the center hub diameter in the wheel is larger than the register on the rotor the assy becomes lug-centric, but if the wheel hub diameter is smaller than the rotor register the wheel won't fit onto the rotor

if the wheel hub register and the rotor register match / are the same size then the assy is said to be hub-centric, the way OEM's / the correct way to do it. the load is carried at the center hub with no shear force on the wheel studs, only clamping force
72 GT Ute

mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2021 at 4:39AM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Curious.
Granada spindles are a problem with 14" wheels? 
The pilot hole on the older wheels doesn't fit, but Grenades and Monarchs came with 14" wheels.

Correct.

The early GT wheels, 14X7's, KH 14X7 slot wheels, and others 1971 and earlier have a 2-1/2 inch center register diameter.

The Granada and all 14" wheels after 1971 have a 2-3/4 register diameter, so the early wheels don't fit on the Granada register without opening them up somehow.

This has led to the butchered, torched out, cut out center holes in the early wheels I am sure many here have seen over the years.

I have a set of 14X7 Kelsey Hays 5 slots, that I managed to get 15X7 and 15X10 step down "Hoops" that I wanted to use to re-rim the KH centers onto and use on my Monarch.

To do so properly, the easiest way to accomplish this is to back fit a 70/71 spindle onto the Monarch.

I can post pictures of some standard wheels with the 2-3/4" center hole, the KH centers, the step down hoops, and the register diameter if interested.

Thanks, Mike H.
 Post Reply Post Reply