The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hotchkis coil springs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hotchkis coil springs
    Posted: 14-June-2021 at 1:53PM
Anyone know if the Hotchkis 19119 springs for a 65/66 Galaxie will work for a 73 GTS…from what I can gather a lot of suspension parts are interchangeable so maybe the springs…? 700lbs front 190 rear

https://www.hotchkis.net/product/1965-1966-ford-galaxie-front-and-rear-coil-springs-by-hotchkis/?mk=54&yr=1966&md=2105&sm=20#specs

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2021 at 3:02PM
The fronts should work, but off the top of my head, I'd say the rears won't. If you want 700 in/lbs springs, why not use Moog 80090 springs that many of us have used? I have them in my car and love them. Way cheaper than Hotchkiss. Check out the coim spring info in the Techincal Articles section.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2021 at 8:25PM
Definitely want the car lowered and we’re not allowed to cut springs in NZ….car has to be certified after the build and they’ll fail it if they are…these seemed like maybe a good option but I think it’s going to have to be custom springs made here
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2021 at 3:04AM
Just curious, how could anyone tell if you did cut your front springs?  With some touch up paint, they would look exactly as delivered. 
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2021 at 3:30AM
Ditto. Cutting springs with a torch is very bad, everyone knows that, and the right way is any method that doesn't create a lot of heat. I cut mine in about 1988, before a sawzall was a common tool. Try it with a hack saw, that will make you appreciate modern tools.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2021 at 7:58AM
The engineers here are super anal and pick up on everything…just put a c1500 that had been c notched through the compliance process and had to jump through hoops…it took two years and countless headaches….if they think they’ve been modified I’ll have to remove them for closer inspection…and then it’s my responsibility to prove they’re not modified…not worth the hassle
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2021 at 8:10AM
the proper way is to cut the end with an angle grinder, technically springs can be cut with a torch if you're actually cutting and not heating to remove the temper, i think the torch method gets a bad rap because people heat the middle to take the temper out and it drops...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2021 at 8:33AM
Yep, angle grinder with good cutting wheel makes pretty short work of it.
I hear you on the difficulty of inspection issues but the moog 80090 springs are pretty close to stock height, just slightly too tall for most people.
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2021 at 9:17AM
Could you get it certified and THEN cut them?   Ermm
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2021 at 9:20AM
Then all insurances are void…
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2021 at 10:05AM
Galaxie springs will fit (American Galaxies) 65-78 both front and rear.
Rear axle is different (3 link with a watts bar) but the lure of the parts-bin was too strong for the Ford Bean-counters when spring design rolled around. 65-68 should be about the same weight as a Torino, so the spring rates should work well.
Moog catalog will show same part numbers for Galaxie and Torino for common spring rates.
Hotchkis seems bewildered by Ford, and Ford parts interchangability.
Their Front upper and lower control arms are a bolt-on as well. Front strut rod and rear control arms are a no-go, however.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2021 at 11:46AM
You could also contact Eaton Detroit Spring for custom springs. They can make whatever rate you want and also lower the car.  For the rear, if you want to drop it, custom springs are your only choice.  The 700 in/lbs front works well with these cars, as many who have the CVPI 80090 springs will tell you.  I would run something less than the 190 in/lbs rear though.  I had 183 in/lbs rear and found them too stiff with the poly bushing. I have 160 in/lbs springs in the rear and they work well to keep the car balanced and had a decent ride (along with 1 1/8" front bar and a 7/8" rear).

I know you have your mind made up on cutting springs, but there is no way that anyone could tell I cut my springs, not even an engineer.  I cut it with an angle grinder, stripped and repainted the springs.  They look 100% original.  The issue with cutting springs is more for strut suspensions when guys cut huge amounts off which can cause safety issues if the spring pops out or doesn't seat properly.  As long as you cut the tangential end of the spring on these cars, they seat perfectly and there is no way to tell they have been shortened (within reason).  Plus with the control arm ratio, not nearly as much needs to be cut off the spring on the SLA Torino vs a car with a strut.

Thanks for the info on the full-size rear springs Randy.  I knew they were similar, but have never tried to swap them.  No part numbers interchange between the intermediates and full-size cars for rear springs, so I wasn't sure.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2021 at 11:55AM
Have the springs powder coated also after you have test fit them, and cut them if needed etc. The one end is a simple straight cut that as said, no one could tell that it had been cut by anyone besides the manufacturer.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2021 at 6:39PM
So if I’m reading your post correctly the springs should fit? Got little shop upper arms on the way so that’s sorted…can’t justify the $866 Hotchkis want for the lowers…they can’t make that much of a difference
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2021 at 2:56AM
The springs specs in the reference charts shows which will have the same outside diameter, length, and spring rate(the diameter if the steel).

The spring fits into the LCA pocket snugly(there's a spot where the end of the spring fits down into, and metal bracket which holds it down). The top side has the rubber isolator piece on it, and is up against the frame/pocket. There's not much detail of the cut ends to see, when they are installed. I would not mention the springs at all in the inspection, nor on any application paper work. Simple treat the car like it has stock springs. If you don't end up with the car lowered a lot below stock height, or above, the subject of the springs should not come up. If it does, tell them the springs are original.

Edited by 72 RS 351 - 16-June-2021 at 9:40AM
Don
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2021 at 7:05AM
 Thumbs UpWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2021 at 1:18PM
Originally posted by Compton Compton wrote:

So if I’m reading your post correctly the springs should fit? Got little shop upper arms on the way so that’s sorted…can’t justify the $866 Hotchkis want for the lowers…they can’t make that much of a difference

The fronts will for sure, and Randy says the rears will too.  I think you should check out the prices from Eaton Detroit for custom springs first though.  The problem with the Hotchkis springs is you have no idea what the stance in your Torino will be.  Since you won't/can't cut the springs, you may be stuck with a really expensive set of springs and the wrong stance.

If you do order them, make sure you share some pics with how they work out.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2021 at 2:15PM
If I’m gonna do the custom route I’ll get it done in NZ….this seemed like it might be an easier option if it would work…agree with you that’s it a bit if a gamble on the stance but what isn’t on these cars?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2021 at 12:21PM
Originally posted by Compton Compton wrote:

If I’m gonna do the custom route I’ll get it done in NZ….this seemed like it might be an easier option if it would work…agree with you that’s it a bit if a gamble on the stance but what isn’t on these cars?

Let us know if you take the gamble on the Hotchkis springs.  The 65-66 Ford should be pretty close in weight to the Torino, so it might end up with a similar stance.

I am not sure how much experience the custom spring shop in NZ has with American cars.  It might be worthwhile to at least get a quote from Detroit Eaton Spring if you decide to go custom.  They at least have lots of experience with American cars, and have made springs for Torinos before.

Good luck!
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Exodus BKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exodus BKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2021 at 2:51AM
Buy Mevotech, I just ordered front and rear for my 73 since most MOOG numbers on our Spring Page are obsolete since I had a call with the VP of Sales @ Moog. Looks like they dropped support for the Torino and are selling through. No reason to cause panic, but the Mevotechs are essentially Moog Springs - Identical Spring Rate on the Charts. 

I have SMS8336 Front 473 Lbs / SMS803V 305 Lbs Rear on the way. I tried ordered CVPI Springs all No longer available and obsolete unless you find aged junk yard stuff.

Mevotech is cheaper too - just what i found on my wild research week looking for coils. 

If money is no object, skip the headache and buy QA1 Adjustable Coilovers - 10X better.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2021 at 7:26AM
Originally posted by Exodus BKG Exodus BKG wrote:

If money is no object, skip the headache and buy QA1 Adjustable Coilovers - 10X better.

performance suspension spring rates on mounting points intended for old school shocks?
72 GT Ute

Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2021 at 9:09AM
Have ordered the Hotchkis springs and are on back order (like everything)…will be a few months before I get them down to NZ and installed as shippings taking ages due to container shortage and lack of port space etc. Car is about to go to the fabricator for the body work so I’ll be rebuilding the chassis during that time…will let you guys know how they work out (or don’t)….been thinking about starting a project thread so should probably do that soon…
dreamzhappen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamzhappen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2023 at 4:36AM
The Moog 80090 springs are discontinued. 
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2023 at 5:09AM
72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2023 at 6:23AM
Cool, you can buy them through the Italian eBay and ship from Canada.
Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamzhappen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2023 at 3:01AM
Do you know of any comparable stock springs? The Moog 80090 retailed for under $100 when they were stocked. Coil Spring Specialties has the Moog 80090 for $200 and can custom make me springs for around $250, but before I spend that much I wanted to make sure there wasn't a comparable coil spring available at a lower price. I already have a lot of money invested and am trying to keep costs as low as possible. Thank you for any help you can provide.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2023 at 3:08AM
Some others that cross reference the 80090 are as follows:

HUSKY SPRING SC20102

LESJÖFORS 4127547

MEVOTECH SMS80090

Only Husky list the specs and they are the same as Moog.  The Movetech's are way cheaper and even have the same part number plus their prefix.  All are available through Rock Auto.  Look up under 1998 Ford Crown Victoria.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamzhappen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2023 at 4:35AM
Thanks Vince! I just emailed Mevotech to see if they can let me know the specs for the SMS80090 springs. The only thing that makes me think they may not be the same as the Moog 80090 is that the fitment states "except police interceptor". I will post the specs if I get them. Thanks again!
Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dreamzhappen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2023 at 5:13AM

From Mevotech technical support.

Please see below for SMS80090 specs:

Uninstalled Height

14.38”

Installed Height

11.75”

Inside Diameter

4.0”

Bar Diameter

0.78”

Spring Rate

710 lbs/inch

Load Rating

2034 lbs

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2023 at 4:56AM
Originally posted by dreamzhappen dreamzhappen wrote:

From Mevotech technical support.

Please see below for SMS80090 specs:

Uninstalled Height

14.38”

Installed Height

11.75”

Inside Diameter

4.0”

Bar Diameter

0.78”

Spring Rate

710 lbs/inch

Load Rating

2034 lbs

Those are pretty much the same specs as the Moogs.  So there should be no issue using them. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>