The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 400 in my Gran Torino questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanewherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 400 in my Gran Torino questions
    Posted: 21-November-2021 at 2:37AM
I have plans for my car but I have a couple questions I want to ask so I can make her run for now. 

1) I am rebuilding my 2bbl carb and I was wondering if there is anything I should do to get a little more out of it. I know a 4bbl intake and carb swap would be good but that is a $500-$800 hit. 

2) Tell me a little more about going from points to more of an electronic ignition set up. 

Like I said, I want to get the car running and driving so I can enjoy it for a little bit. I did find a 69 429 Thunderjet that has peaked my interest of doing a swap too but I am researching to see if a E4OD will bolt to that engine  

Thank guys
1973 Gran Torino Wagon
400/C6
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2021 at 3:06AM
The 4bbl swap made a significant difference on my 72 400. I used an Edlebrock 2171 intake and a Holley 670 SA. The stock 2100 2bbl is a good carb though and will run well if you get it tuned properly.  

For the ignition the easiest route is a Pertronix swap in place of the points. You might want to also look at eliminating all of the emission controls that limit the spark advance. Doing that will help wake up the engine a bit. There are other options like Dura Spark swaps or HEI but they are a bit more involved.

A 429 should bolt to an E4OD if it's from 460. It is huge and heavy and requires a computer though. I suspect it would require trans tunnel mods.  The 429 swap also requires big block engine mounts which are hard to find, among other parts. It will bolt to your existing C6 though.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2021 at 3:21AM
The existing 2 barrel is a great carb and not hard to tune. I also have the 351M/400 and for the cost, a new intake and 4v was just not in my cards.
Good luck here.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2021 at 9:28AM
1st, what is the cfm code on the side of your carb?

you may want to find a higher cfm carb if you have a small one Embarrassed

i remember working over my 2-tab carby, i cheated the accelerator pump volume by stacking maybe a couple extra 'gaskets' with the diaphragms removed and doing a little grinding on the linkage to improve the pump shot. today's fuel blend may favor a little step up on the main jets, not sure if the thread size is the same as Holley or not? but you can always drill them. if you end up drilling the stock jets and find that you've drilled to big grab an extra pair and drill them to the size that ran best

when the time comes maybe consider the Holley Sniper 2300 injection, supports 350hp

Pertronics is popular but some have issues, Accel also has a drop in kit

https://www.holley.com/products/ignition/distributors/distributor_accessories/conversion_kits/parts/2020

the E4OD will bolt but you'll be dragging the pan on the ground and you can mount a cup holder to it
this was in a 70-71 IIRC. for less issues and near the same $ by the time you're done look at the Gearvendors OD unit

screw the 429, you can make the same power in the smaller lighter 400 ....
or you can stroke the 400 to make crazy power if that's where you want to go

https://www.tmeyerinc.com/product/rotating-assembly-351m-400-stroker/

72 GT Ute

shanewherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanewherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2021 at 12:18PM
Rockatansky  I have 1.21 casted on the side which looks like a 351 cfm. 
1973 Gran Torino Wagon
400/C6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2021 at 12:44PM
only 2 bigger, i'd go with it
72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2021 at 2:39PM
The E4OD is a massive transmission. I've seen several in the shipping containers at a Ford dealer, one with the lid open. Those are good for towing huge loads like a Super Duty truck would need. But that's overkill for anything that isn't towing those big loads.

The Gearvendors unit would be a good choice for an existing good trans you have in place.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanewherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2021 at 12:16PM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

The E4OD is a massive transmission. I've seen several in the shipping containers at a Ford dealer, one with the lid open. Those are good for towing huge loads like a Super Duty truck would need. But that's overkill for anything that isn't towing those big loads.

The Gearvendors unit would be a good choice for an existing good trans you have in place.

That or can a 4R70W bolt up to the 400?
1973 Gran Torino Wagon
400/C6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanewherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2021 at 12:17PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

So then just do the rebuild and send it? 
1973 Gran Torino Wagon
400/C6
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2021 at 3:29PM
Originally posted by shanewherry shanewherry wrote:

Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

That or can a 4R70W bolt up to the 400?

Sorry no, the 400 has a big block pattern on the back. So your choices are fewer, for an automatic the C6 is a good choice with the bolt on overdrive unit.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2021 at 4:18PM

yeah i'd give it a whirl
72 GT Ute

Zrob90sc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zrob90sc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2021 at 3:42AM
Speed gems makes a adapter kit for the bbf to modular bell housing pattern(4R, 6r80,10R80 etc).  I have one on the way to try with a 6r80.  They’re expensive but in my case so is paying local guys to build c6’s that don’t lastLOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanewherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2021 at 12:41AM
Originally posted by Zrob90sc Zrob90sc wrote:

Speed gems makes a adapter kit for the bbf to modular bell housing pattern(4R, 6r80,10R80 etc).  I have one on the way to try with a 6r80.  They’re expensive but in my case so is paying local guys to build c6’s that don’t lastLOL

My friend, you have to show pics of the 6R80 swap

Also I searched and I found that there is a Big block adapter housing from quicktime to take a 4R to the big block bolt pattern. it is ecpensive too. 
1973 Gran Torino Wagon
400/C6
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2021 at 12:44AM

yeah i'd give it a whirl

I had the same size 2100 on my 72 400.  I agree, just rebuild it and get it running for now.  When my engine was mostly stock the 4bbl swap did improve performance, but only at higher RPM, where the bigger carb allowed the engine to pull harder. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2021 at 3:31PM
Originally posted by Zrob90sc Zrob90sc wrote:

Excellent, that is very good news.

The modular transmissions for the 4.6 and 5.4 etc, those have the SBF bell housing bolt pattern like a C4 etc, but the starter bolt pattern is different(three bolts too).

I wonder how that block adapter is designed to work with a BBF, specifically the torque converter studs, extensions etc. The adapter I found for the 6R80 behind a SBF has four 1/2" long stud extensions, which I would call unsafe for any decent torque. I'm thinking a properly made TC is needed to move the studs(mounting pads) forward to match the block adapter thickness.

The 6R80 will bolt onto a SBF with a simple to make(home made) steel plate with bolt holes that match, and nuts welded in the proper places for the starter bolts.

It's good to read that someone makes something to adapt the big blocks to later transmissions.
Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanewherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2021 at 10:54AM
Well Guys I rebuilt my carb and it was pretty easy. The instructions were ok because it covered from 1959 to 74 models. I set the dry float level and also had to modify the gasket to the top plate because it was interfering with the float at the needle area. Cut the area out and it was perfect. 

Now I need to pull the tank and have it cleaned. Then onto the ignition system and someone needs to tell me how to remove the emissions that retard the timing.
1973 Gran Torino Wagon
400/C6

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2021 at 6:26AM
do you have a single or 'dual vacuum' can on your distributor?

and is there an allen adjuster screw inside the front vac nipple?

72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply