The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "Paint my 78 XR7" Thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2010 at 8:37AM
Reminds me of our 85 Town Car from so long ago..   Miss that car...
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2011 at 3:34AM
Still here. Car's been sitting since I finished detailing the engine bay last winter and added the Mark VIII fan.

Override Switch in console.

Green LED is for the fan. (Yes, it illuminates at cruise even when freewheeling. Oops).

Done. Sort of. After I did the engine bay in the '77, I realized the '78 came out "OK". The big difference is painted bolt heads. Winter project.

My goal is May 1st, to finally be driving this thing.

Issues to be addressed. 

1. Brakes (They still suck. Any recommendations on a GOOD master cylinder?)

2. Steering - I have a Saginaw pump setup that I intend to swap to. It should up the pressure a bit, compared to the 'plastic pump'. This in turn should make the steering a bit easier (with the 3:1 box and the Ford pump, it steers harder than anything else I own).

3. Alignment. I am fairly convinced that the reason my front wheels sit so offset in the wheel wells is due to crappy alignment specs. The car goes pin straight, but the wheels rub. So much that I fear turning full lock.I used the specs in the "How to make your 72-79 Handle" book. Looking down at the control arms, they pulled to the rear as much as possible it seems. When I had the 77 lined up, same guy, but I said "align it". Wheels sit fine in this car, and I've had the Cragar/Nitto combo on the 77, which zero rub issues.

4. Exhaust. If I were going for "bad-ass street machine sound". I have it. 3" X to small case "Borla ProXS" Mufflers, out to 2.5" tails and 3" tips. Too loud for me to be pulling in at 11PM IMO. This is all mandrel bent pieces. The 77 Cougar I own has 3" pipes, with generic Catco cats, to 3" small case Super Turbo mufflers and 2.5" tails. None of this is mandrel bent. I've had in possession two VERY large case Magnaflow mufflers, along with some generic 3" "high flow" cats, and a set of 2.5" Dynomax bullets.

In a perfect world I could just swap the mufflers and bullets, and if still loud, add the cats, but the pipes won't allow it. I'm not a master pipe fitter either. No local shops do mandrel bending, but at this point I don't even know WHAT I want to do. 

5. If all goes according to plan, (which it never does), I end up with some $ for a 31 spline rear center chunk. If more $, a Gear Vendors. 3K+rpm on the highway gets old fast IMO. 

Probably do the steering first, as I have almost all the hardware for it. So close.. yet so far. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2011 at 7:06AM
Man, you will have this one done well before I get deep into any of mine, LOL.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2011 at 7:11AM
I'm extremely tired of garage and yard ornaments, so I'm trying to fix that, and thin the herd a bit.
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2011 at 3:02PM
gee thats what my wife calls all my cars.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 2:39AM
My fiance' just looks and sighs...
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 2:42AM
I don't mind having a fleet..... if they run. 

Started researching steering, looks like $100 in parts or so for hose fittings and a GM Saginaw pulley will get me there. I need to do a test fit on the bracket and see if the PS pump lines up with the pulleys I currently use (6 groove serpentine). Hopefully it's all close enough. 

Paul
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 2:48AM
My girlfriend said I need to keep at least one of my cars "Loud and badass". First date was in the gray Cougar, and I use it on and off as a daily driver, but she really prefers the white one.
Paul
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 5:27AM
Paul-
On the lines, why not go to a local Hydraulic shop?
After getting sick and tired of the BS with my factory lones and aftermarket junk, I found a local Parker Hannifin Hydraulic shop, they removed the old hose, and using a slip on AN connector, used Parker's pushlok hose for hydraulic fluid.
This is on the low pressure side, not the high pressure, but very clean and slick.

Exhaust, what about running an additional set of bullets out back, like a 50 series flowmaster type resonator muffler to quiet things down? There should be room next to the frame, between the bumper and rear axle. Just a thought.

Brakes- what about trying a full size master?
I'm running a 1975-1976 T bird booster I got off Ebay.
You are running the dual diaphram booster, correct?

Maybe just a suggestion, but what about a booster, like what was spec'ed for the F series conversion you did?

Worse case, maybe you need to look at ditching OEM and stepping up to aftermarket. Get with a company like SSBC.

Worse case...hydroboost it, find a booster off a mark5 or similar.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 5:41AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Paul-
On the lines, why not go to a local Hydraulic shop?
After getting sick and tired of the BS with my factory lones and aftermarket junk, I found a local Parker Hannifin Hydraulic shop, they removed the old hose, and using a slip on AN connector, used Parker's pushlok hose for hydraulic fluid.
This is on the low pressure side, not the high pressure, but very clean and slick.

After doing AN stuff on the truck for the pressure side, I'm comfortable with it. I have enough hose left over to do another pressure line, just need some fittings. For the low side, I just use hose clamps on OEM fittings with Gates PS hose,  and it seems ok

Exhaust, what about running an additional set of bullets out back, like a 50 series flowmaster type resonator muffler to quiet things down? There should be room next to the frame, between the bumper and rear axle. Just a thought.

No room there without major surgery. 4" Bullets won't fit between the quarter panel and the frame. On a GOOD bump one pipe will hit the floor. The Magnaflows I have won't fit the pipes without some S bends in front of them, and major surgery on the rear pipes. For the price of another Flowmaster Kit, an X kit, some bends, I may just take everything off, bring the cats, mufflers, and tips to a place and say "make it work". Tired of dicking around with it.

Brakes- what about trying a full size master?
I'm running a 1975-1976 T bird booster I got off Ebay.
You are running the dual diaphram booster, correct?
 Maybe just a suggestion, but what about a booster, like what was spec'ed for the F series conversion you did?
 Worse case, maybe you need to look at ditching OEM and stepping up to aftermarket. Get with a company like SSBC.
 Worse case...hydroboost it, find a booster off a mark5 or similar.

I've tried a 4 wheel disc master (bigger piston). Yes on the dual diaphragm. It didn't really change anything. The F350 booster is a dual diaphragm, same style as the Ranchero one I use. 

No. Worst case is I park the gray Cougar, and swap every single brake related piece of hardware over to my car. That car stops on a literal dime. Just a shame that this car has sat off and on for 5(!) years because of the brakes. 
Paul
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 5:46AM

True...that does suck.

The brakes have been a huge agrivation for you.

What about all the hard lines and hoses, etc?

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 6:03AM
Changed Front hoses 2x, rear hose 1x.
 Hardlines on rear axle were changed 3x (various disc and drum setups),
 hardline front to rear was changed from a good working car.
prop valve from good working car (changed 3 or 4 times, I forget).

What are symptoms of too low vacuum at the booster? 
Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 7:50AM
Normally, low engine vacuume is caused by a radical cam/valvetrain, a plugged vacuume port or hose, something else pulling a lot of vacuume, defective intake design or sample, etc... Have you made sure that the hose leading to the booster is not collapsing, partially plugged, deteriorated inside, or porous? Defective booster? Any moisture in the booster? I would start there and work backwards, as you seem to have eliminated everything else. Before I started taking everything off, I'd check those things and swap the booster/MC assy out with one that is confirmed good. I try to get the largest capacity MC that will keep a high pressure. I've seen some that have a large capacity, but the pressure they provide is less for their particular application than what another application might require. That is too nice of a car to be sitting.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 7:50AM
When it comes to exhaust I run cats with stright pipes with a (not sure proper name)pipe between the two after cats. Wife don't care much for cars but thinks ours sounds the best.Only prize it ever won was best sound Was told to bad not a chev.Haha.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 7:51AM
Diameter of the lines are another point - larger lines may have less pressure than a smaller diameter one.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2011 at 8:17AM
I think I'm going to start at square one, and I've never tried it before. Inverted flare plugs on the master. Theoretically the pedal should be rock hard if it's sealed. If the pedal drops, then anything else I try to change is a waste of time.

As for sound, I like the 'sound' just want it several dBs quieter. 

I've got these

Which may or may not fit under there. Basically the largest case Magnaflows I could find. I forget the measurements, but I know some head scratching is going to be involved getting them up there.

Right now, it doesn't matter, as it doesn't go anywhere really. Sleepy

Edited by Psquare75 - 10-October-2011 at 8:20AM
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789