The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1970-1971 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

71 GT Convertible advice pleaseee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WTB72GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 GT Convertible advice pleaseee
    Posted: 09-March-2009 at 12:04PM

So I found a 71 Torino GT convertible last night for a lowly 1000 bucks, I'm going to go take a look at it either tommorow or the next day. The guy said on the phone that the frame is practically "rotted in half". He said the guy he is selling it for has had it outside under a tree for about 8 years. This is the only picture he included..hmmm..I'm concerned... Either way, whats your guys advice? My dad says framework is difficult, and it may not be worth it. The guy also said the engine is running, btw. Any thoughts?

haw_y_n_merc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haw_y_n_merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2009 at 4:57PM
My thought is that's a bummer. Unless you find a good frame, then that car can only be for parts. There was a person here recently, looking for frame for the same reason, and I think he was having a hard time. I would not think of fixing a rotten frame.
Eliteman and Ralph would certainly know on that subject.
Andy
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2009 at 4:44AM
I can't suggest much as I avoid the pre'72 stuff like the plague...I don't do unibody stuff.

If it's been sitting there for 8 years, it's a parts car for someone with a convertable at best.
I'd spend your time looking elsewhere, unless you wanted to buy for parts.

I suggest checking over with the guys on www.torinocobra.com in the forums...there are alot of 68-71 guys there.

Andy
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2009 at 4:51AM
WTB72GTS,
My only advice is to get the most car you can for your money.  If you've got $1K to spend, do lots of shopping around and try to get a car that maybe someone else has overlooked or ask about extra parts, engines, trannies, that you can use to offset your costs.   I would avoid cars that have major crash damage, rot to frames, or other signficant problems (like key pieces missing that are one year only) because unless you are a mechanic/welder/body man, it will cost a significant amount of money to get it up and running.  Good luck, Paul~
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
WTB72GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WTB72GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2009 at 7:53AM

Thanks for the advice guys. Thats more or less the direction I was leaning. I have ZERO experience working on rotted frames so I figured it wouldnt be worth the investment...Its a crying shame though, 71 convertibles are worth a bundle =\

Its hard to find good deals online in my experience so far. From what I've seen, its 90% luck finding a good project! And so far, my luck is pretty low LOL. Im not worried though. Time is on my side and I will wait as long as I have to for that dream resto to come my way...

~Zak
1975MontegoMX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1975MontegoMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2009 at 9:19AM

I'd say the best resource now, really is craigslist. Especially the websited "JAXED", and the freature called "Mash" Just google Mash and youll see what i mean, it allows you to search the whole site.

George

Heres Some I pulled up

http://buffalo.en.craigslist.org/cto/1032663781.html 1971 Torino GT Fastback, Seems Neg. on price, says its solid

Edited by 1975MontegoMX - 10-March-2009 at 9:28AM
1975 Mercury Montego MX /351 M/
1986 Ford Crown Victoria /302/"5.0"
WTB72GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WTB72GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2009 at 11:01AM
Yea I saw that jaxed thing in an older threat. DEFINETELY  a valuable asset! before that I was just switching cities and looking around lol. I actually like that 71 GT for 2250, 71 GT's are tied for my favorite style with the 72 GTS....thanks for the lookout George.

~Zak
1975MontegoMX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1975MontegoMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2009 at 12:51PM
no problem, its actually pretty fun just looking..
That was my favorite too, looks like with the replacement quater(as long as thats all) and some paint, it would be pretty cool

George
1975 Mercury Montego MX /351 M/
1986 Ford Crown Victoria /302/"5.0"
WTB72GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WTB72GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2009 at 1:09PM
yea, im actually considering that one, its only 250 miles away. It needs a starter so I'd have to take the guys word on the engine condition...Ermm

I dunno though...I like that one..If I could get him down to 2k, and maybe cut a deal on that convertible for parts, I think I would be sittin pretty....

*350 miles away I mean

Edited by WTB72GTS - 10-March-2009 at 1:09PM
 Post Reply Post Reply