The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The white GTS, and plans for it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2009 at 5:26PM
The hood looks Great! I wish I had one! Nice job.
'73 Gran Torino Brougham
'63 Econoline Standard Van
- Brent *USAF RET*
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2009 at 12:39AM
Elite76 thanks for the photos of the hood scoop graft I'm gonna do one for my 73 formal roof as it's going ProStreet and look tuff with that scoop.
I wanted one on my last 73 Torino but never got a hood that I could cut up cause I won't cut a good hood just a bent,wrecked or rusted out hood.
Ah! mig welders,gotta love em got a plasma cutter to use also.that's gonna be handy come cuttin time with the back half of the car

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 07-October-2009 at 12:40AM
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2009 at 12:42AM
as impressive as the hood turned out, i am more impressed that you can put one of these hoods by yourself! i am always hacking a neighbor or calling a buddy so i dont put the corner through the windshield or something.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2009 at 6:06AM
On the hood...I thought a plasma would have been the better way to go as I originally went to a buddy's body shop to use his, but he pointed out it's better to use a 4.5" electric cut off, and thin cut off wheels.
He told me fowl up a $25 tip, or just spend $5 for two wheels?
As it was his shop, I didn't argue Big smile

As far as moving the hoods...sort of used to having to do this stuff myself. Always seems when I need a hand, no one is around.
I'm used to hanging hoods, decklinds, doors {and torino doors SUCK} by myself.
Key thing is I am able to handle it, but if you ain't careful you will wrench your back good with our stuff.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2009 at 6:12AM
Oh, another thing Prostreet, keep in mind the underhood bracing...it will take some trimming and fitment.
I had one issue towards the back of the inner hood support, not a big deal and I will fix, but for some reason I have a 3/4" gap instead of a 1/4" gap on the very back support, between the hood skin and the skeleton support. I am going to just do a couple big shots of the panel glue like the factory had, but something of note, with how I did the layout.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2009 at 6:04AM
Man...I ended up getting the console from the junkyard, along with a mint floor hump with shifter, and scored a thrashed but repairable 1972 GTS nose trim piece for $90.
The console to my dismay was not perfect, and was not an original blue color like I thought...someone sprayed a ginger console instead Pinch of just leaving it ginger.
No floor brackets either, but I'll manage on that. Armrest has seen better days as well but still, I am happy I scored it. Of course, every grille I found was damaged.
I still need to go back for a pair of usable fenders, unless I find some locally. $150 for a pair of bottom rotted ones I can patch, or spend $300 for two solid ones, except the one I need the most is full of holes up top and a bad bondo job from who know how long ago. But not rotted down low.Geek

It's the hunt for the parts, right? This why I enjoy the Torino abuse?? right? 

I keep looking at the rockers on the '73...man, why could I have just found something cleaner??
What's stupid is I would have rather found a car that needed a floor pan or trunk floor, but I get the opposite. Great floors and rotted rockers.

Anyways, enough of my rambling. Hoping to start in on the rocker replacement here late this week. Glad I updated the tetnus shot back in the spring time.

Edited by Eliteman76 - 20-October-2009 at 6:04AM
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2009 at 3:13PM

Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Glad I updated the tetnus shot back in the spring time.

LOL  Me too!  I looked at all the sharp rusty edges and got one myself this summer! 
Welcome to TorinoLand! Wink
You know it's all about the hunt..and the love.  And the hunt.  That's how I ended up with (4) Consoles. Confused  It's a sickness I tell ya, a sickness...
$90 for all that?  I been going to the wrong junkyards!!!  
~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2009 at 2:38PM
wow Andy my new ride is really a rot box,LOL i guess that is why I won't mind cutting i up and going Pro Street,but after seeing the photos on here It's going to need alot of work still even with what you started.I'm glad you posted the photos of the hood graft as it wi;; give me a good idea of how to start as I will have to do basically the same to my flat hood,good thing is I have the front clip and doors from this Formal roof with the rotted roof that now will be a donor for the 73 GTS when I get it.I also can use my wheel houses as it looks like the donor parts have bad ones.Don't know if you know anyone who needs hose rockers cause if the B-Pillars are rotted also I might as well cut the ones of my car along with the Rockers and keep it solid factory welded with the wheel houses and just get half quarter skins. I possibly can get most of a GTS full quarter with just the missing lower section as I know a girl that has 3 72 GTS's and ones a CJ #'s matching but I only seen the one she had painted as the other 2 are in storage..Hmm now I have got a big delema how to do this,do I use my car and then graft on the Sportroof and top quarters andf trunk onto my formal roof or do I take the doors front end and and put it on th GTS abd then cut up my quarters and rockers and graft them on theGTS or do I just buy half skins and gaft the sportroof on mine
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2009 at 5:13AM
Jeff-
On the thought of grafting, it's a hard call...you would almost have to backhalf the body because the GTS uses a different package shelf.

I am at work right now, will get online later tonight.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 12:14AM
Andy I would take the whole roof with the quarters and splice it in the trunk floor seam and then put half quarter skins on it as I believe my wheel houses ae still pretty solid compared to that car and it would save me time in changing the dash out as I want a black interior and the GTS is blue. anyway just trying to figure out what's easier as my front floors and rockers are good,it'the trunk floor,lower 1/4's and complete roff that is wasted,seems like these to cars are a match as the bothe have good parts that will compliment the other cars bad areas as my doors and nose are  good or atleast better and fixable.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 4:55AM
Yeah...that's the deal, off hand, I've never considered trying to section a car like that.

Here is a shot of the green car I bought for sheet metal:

To me it seems like you are going to have a lot of work to try to section a car in half, but just depends on what you are up for.
You could just section the A pillars at the cowl, and then drill out the sport welds on the package tray support and take it out as one piece with the foor, but there is a lot of roof structure to deal with...as I have cut up a couple fast backs, and hell for that matter formal roof cars, it's still impressive to me the amount of stucture they put into these cars for the roof support.

I don't know if you saw these pics, but here is that green parts car.
This is the one that took a dodge ram and drove away.
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2009 at 11:05AM
Wow, Andy.  You HAVE been busy!  I assume that's you holding the cordless, you handsome devil? LOL
~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 12:28AM
 have to cut any structure parts as like the rockers you have to plate the seams inside for strength of the joint when welding it back together and it is strong as it was before cut.
We get used clips all the time to fix cars that are a few years old as ne sheetmetal will total them but used makes them fixers and the insurance companies write it for sectioning.sometimes it's easier to graft on a big section then weld a bunch of seperate pieces together new and hope it's all aligned like the factory and less corrosion with a clip as there is less welds.we do have a spot welder so we can duplicate the factory way on some of it but some must be plug welded with a mig welder.

I aint skeered,bring it on.LOL

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2009 at 12:31AM
I actually want to fix a few more Torino's this way after I build mine as it would save a few from the bone yard and make extra money after they are sold especially if you find a Q code car with no title and it's only good for it parts.you get it for less money and find a rotted one with a title and bam rebody or section it with good parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234