The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: The Official Tire Size Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
7T9_Tbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7T9_Tbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2018 at 3:43AM
Looks good!Thumbs Up Personally. I like the old "street fighter" stance.
John
79 Thunderbird Heritage
79 Thunderbird Town Landau
02 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab
changinlatitudes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote changinlatitudes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2018 at 12:51AM
Lookin' good!
Matt

1969 Mercury Marauder 390
1972 Montego MX
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
1994 F-150 5.8
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2018 at 3:43PM
 Thumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Edrem3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edrem3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2018 at 2:14PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

i too saw your post on FB, i voted to lower it Wink

yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna drop her an inch all around. I'll be testing it on old springs to see how I like it.
72 MGT Qcode 4sp
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2018 at 12:25PM
i too saw your post on FB, i voted to lower it Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Edrem3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edrem3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2018 at 5:32AM
Originally posted by n2fordwagons n2fordwagons wrote:

I saw your post on Facebook.  Your Montego looks great!  

Thanks! I can't wait to get the body done, but the main concern is getting her driving well. Now that I'm happy with my tire/rim choice, it's time to do some suspension work and lower it
72 MGT Qcode 4sp
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2018 at 4:44AM
I saw your post on Facebook.  Your Montego looks great!  
Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Edrem3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edrem3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2018 at 3:50AM
So I wanted to officially say thanks to everyone that posted their tire sizes in this thread. Without the help, big mistakes probably would have been inevitable. however, with the help I was able to determine the sizes I needed for front and back and ended up with
245/60/15s on 15x7 rims with a 3.75 backspace on the front
275/60/15s on 15x8 rims with a 4.50 backspace on the rear

72 MGT Qcode 4sp
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2017 at 2:27AM
Love it!!! 14's never looked so good
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2017 at 12:23PM
That's a sweet picture.  I love the look of a '72 with meaty tires on the front end, which is why I run 8" tires on the front. 
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
fordismyboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordismyboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2017 at 6:40AM
Probably few of us are running 14" these days but I had to post this one!

My Torino from back in the day, running 14x7 reverse appliance steel spokes with BFG radial TA 50's all around. Stock ride height. Picture taken November 1976 with my brother behind the wheel!

yellowsportwagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowsportwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2017 at 7:33AM
I'm running 245/45 17 4 1/2 backspace on frt and 295/45 18 with 5 inch backspace on rear nothing hits or rubs anywhere. Car is lowered 1 inch in back and about 2" in frt

Edited by yellowsportwagon - 12-July-2017 at 7:34AM
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2017 at 7:29AM
Originally posted by Nuggets Nuggets wrote:

Whatbyoure listing as profile such as speed rating and load I'd class as specification or characteristics such as a V rating or DOT legality etc

Barnaby,

You're absolutely right. For road vehicles all the ratings come from or are adopted from the SAE. For the daily drivers it's not much of an issue anymore because of the research that has been done and the ratings. Sometimes the envelope gets pushed though. I can't say where I heard or read this but for the newest Veyron there is only one legal tire for the car at it's rated top speed. Even then the life of the tire at speed is rated in either minutes or miles at a cost of $30,000 for a set. I just looked that cost up. You can bet tire companies are working on tires set for a new rating to accommodate the car.

The ratings exist for motorsports also. I'm not sure how familiar Brit's are with tractor pulling but when pulling started using engines like the Allison Merlin there were problems with the split rims on tractors and tires. That was solved by new ratings. Jim Thorton who in the 60's invented the drag racing torque cancelling chassis, is credited as the inventor of funny cars, was the head of Chrysler's race vehicle design and the primary driver of Chrysler's drag racing team talked a lot about how tire profile didn't keep up with the sport. Nitro burners were around long before they were legal on the strip because of tires. Even today the tires require being screwed to the rim.

The ratings per tire are based on profile ratios which is about the tire in use and not a static, off the rim ratio of section height and width. And it is section height, not tire radius.

"It's an adjustable wrench, Crescent is a brand." I heard this all the time growing up. I'm aware of how words and meanings change because of common use. I'm not at all being critical of you. Some things do irritate me but this isn't one of them. I'm only explaining what the meanings are for me.  

Don

Edited by Don V. - 11-July-2017 at 7:31AM
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2017 at 12:38AM
Whatbyoure listing as profile such as speed rating and load I'd class as specification or characteristics such as a V rating or DOT legality etc

Edited by Nuggets - 11-July-2017 at 12:39AM
Barnaby

429 powered 73 Stripper.....no comfort, just noise!
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2017 at 3:06AM

Aspect, profile, same difference. 

It's been years since I've considered this so maybe it's just "old school" nonsense today on my part but I don't see them as the same.

Aspect ratio was a static number based on the off the rim section height and width. It doesn't take into account rim size. With the proliferation of low profile tires anyone using the number needs to ensure apples and oranges aren't getting mixed.

Profile ratio was an entirely different animal. It's an active number based on a tires limits and used primarily by but not limited to engineers for matching a tire to a vehicle or in motorsports, conditions. It's use is necessitated by Newton's 3rd law of motion, "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." Can a tire handle the performance characteristics of a given vehicle or can a vehicle handle the performance characteristics of a tire. Look at the tire rotation directions through the years. Tires today may have the same inside outside profile ratios but they are not the same left to right. Don't put a right tire on the left side. The sticky tires used in F# racing would tear up a daily driver's drivetrain and there's a good reason why biased tires are almost a thing of the past. Consider a tire used by an airline where the drivetrain is separate from the tires. These tires are designed to get taller and thinner as they approach their "at speed" limit. The approach to traction between an auto and airline is very different. A tire has more then one profile ratio because it's an "in use" number. In my day anyway.

In my day the equivalent and effective ratios were what mattered. Ensuring your tires matched the rear end gearing. Those cool, big tires often came at the expense of performance.

Don
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2017 at 2:42PM

And odds are someone will buy a size without checking then complain it doesn't fit under the car....

Does that happen? Confused
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2017 at 2:41PM
Originally posted by Power Surge Power Surge wrote:

Originally posted by Don V. Don V. wrote:

Width means nothing without profile ratio

I assume you mean aspect ratio but would you explain why you say this please. 

I think he meant the other way around.

Actually not what I was thinking but you're right. kudos
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2017 at 3:53AM
And odds are someone will buy a size without checking then complain it doesn't fit under the car....
Barnaby

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2017 at 3:53AM
Aspect, profile, same difference.

Because someone can say they run a 245-15 up front. Great! Butyiu try a 245/55/15 vs a 245/75/15 not the same at all!

Same for me on the rear I could say I run a 275/16 which I do......but without the sidewall height it's useless. In my case it's a 60.

But that'd be the largest height you can fit in at 30" diameter

You could also run a 275/45 and have way more arch clearance. But you say you're running a 305-17 and miss the ratio someone buys some 305/55's it's not going to fit if 305/35 is the size they need. I'm just making up ratios here but you get the point
Barnaby

Power Surge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Power Surge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2017 at 12:38PM
Originally posted by Don V. Don V. wrote:

I think he meant the other way around.
Sal Mennella
73 GTS 351 CJ
75 Cougar XR7
73 Ranchero - 5.0 Coyote swap - in progress
Past Torinos - 72 Gran Torino, 75 Gran Torino, 75 Elite
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2017 at 12:37PM

Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 9:11AM
I can buy a Toyo in that size over here, its an all terrain tyre but not an issue
Barnaby

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 1:31AM
On my gold car and red wagon, I run 17 X 8 with 235/55-17 front and 18 X 10.5 with 255/55-18 on the rear.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 1:18AM

I like the 315s I've got 275/60/17 on mine currently but do fancy some wider rubber. Was thinking 305 but 315 would be even better especially if I can get them in a 29" diameter or 31

Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck finding them in a taller tire.  275 seems to be about the widest tire I've been able to find in a tire tall enough for our cars.

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 1:11AM
I like the 315s I've got 275/60/17 on mine currently but do fancy some wider rubber. Was thinking 305 but 315 would be even better especially if I can get them in a 29" diameter or 31
Barnaby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 12:47AM
Here's how 17" 40 series tires look on our cars, with standard ride height.
Fronts are 275-40-17.  Rears are 315-35-17.

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2017 at 12:39AM
40 & 45 series tires, like John is running on his Corvette, are way to low profile for our cars, unless your car is lowered significantly.

On my Montego wagon

Fronts are 17x8 w/ 4.5" BS on 235-55 tires
Rears are 17x9 w/ 5.25" BS on 275-55 tires

Jeff

71 Torino Brougham
72 Gran Torino Squire
Nuggets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuggets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2017 at 9:47PM

Barnaby

BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2017 at 3:15PM
Edited

Edited by BackInBlack - 27-June-2017 at 11:53PM
-John
1973 GTS
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2017 at 2:51PM
Originally posted by jhutch33 jhutch33 wrote:

Guys,

I want to run 17X8 Foose Knuckles in the front and 18X9.5 Foose Knuckles in the back. I want larger tires in the back. Does anyone know the best tire size for the front and rear with those wheel sizes? Also, I need to know the offset, which I have no idea on.
on the 17x8 i'd say  4"-3 1/2" bs would work fine 4" being centered and should work great if those wheels are offered in that BS? on the 9.5... 4 1/2" - 5" bs  5" being close to centered should fit well on the rear. as far as tires??? i have 18x8's on my vette and i have 245/45/18 tires on them they fit the wheel great. my step brother's ranger has 18x9.5 on the rear and i think we went with 265/40? or 45/18's i don't remember but they fit the wheel well...

joe (unlovedford) may have a better idea he has 17's and 18's on some of his torino's
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>