The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

429 4 speed conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973 429 torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 429 4 speed conversion
    Posted: 30-April-2009 at 2:44PM
Does anyone have any idea what is needed or what will interchange to convert my automatic to a 4 speed.  Heres what I have.  First, my car is an all original 1973 Gran Torino Sport with a 429, C6, and 3.50 traction lock rear.  I also have an all original, but basically junk Q code 1973 Gran Torino Sport with a 4 speed.  Trust me, if the Q code was worth restoring, I would, but sections of the frame are transparent, the floor pans are something Fred Flintstone would be used to, quarters are gone, and there are several small sunroofs above my head.  My dream car is to have the 4 speed backing up the 429.  I'm know the bellhousing bolt pattern is different from the 351C to the 429, but after that, I'm not sure of what else will work and what will NOT work.  I'd like to make it more like what Ford did to the 1970 Torino using the toploader.  I really want to make this a fun car to drive and something that I've always wanted.  If anyone would like to respond with any info on this, I would greatly appreciate it.
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2009 at 1:20PM
I'm not the 4spd expert,but I'd think you'd have to go with a 70-71 bigblock trans.Like the mustangs,there was a different 4spd for the big versus small block engines.
ramair351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramair351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2009 at 3:08PM
yea like ralph says, the big blocks use a 1 3/8 input on the trans,  you would probably twist the q code trans.            if you have all the rest of the components you are pretty close, the 351 z-bar would probably have to be shortend or modified, since there is no factory 429 bar for the 73.      good used big input toploaders are $1000, you can probably sell your good used small input toploader for $600.
-Pete
1972 montego GT
1970 Torino cobra SCJ
1970 mustang mach 1
1965 Falcon futura

GranTorinoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2009 at 4:20AM
Maybe a Gear Vendors Overdrive might be a better idea for your BBF, just think 6 gears to play with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqsy-DgdjRg

Post Reply Post Reply